How to not kill cryptosleep prisoner?

Started by DeMatt, April 25, 2016, 05:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeMatt

Okay, so there's an "ancient" cryptosleep chamber in the mountain next to my colony.  I've defeated its mechanoid guards, and now I'm trying to take the sole cryptosleep inhabitant prisoner.

But my colonists keep punching her to death.  If she didn't come out hostile, I'd bloody let her walk away, but nope, she insists on jumping whoever opens the casket, and the resultant brawl seems to always end with her dead.  Any advice?

Other comments:  Why "ancient" in quotes?  Because the cryptosleep inhabitant is 49 (57) years old.  She's only been in cryptosleep for six years as of me landing.  Her backstory is Story Writer/Luddite Rebel, so how she ended up buried in a mountain on a rim world for only six years is beyond me.

And just how much of a predator do these cats think they are?  This save has a seven-day-old kitten who's got three kills - and a missing tail and leg - from tackling hares and squirrels!

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Shurp

Try arming your colonists with wooden logs.  It will definitely beat the spacer down faster than fists, and shouldn't cause any fatal injuries.  Although it's odd that your colonists are able to kill with fists.

Also, only attack with three or four.  If everyone gangs up on her then the ones who are in mid swing when she drops from injury will still connect leading to a kill after.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

There's one sure way, but you need to time it just right. Open the cryptosleep casket, run away, wall her in! Wait until she drops down unconscious from starvation. Unseal the room, capture her, feed her, and recruit her.

Sealing her in is easy. Build a 1 tile wide corridor leading to the casket, with a door left open and 5 forbidden wall resource on your side. When you open the casket, draft the colonist and make him run away, but make sure to switch the door back to closed (it should close when your colonist goes through the doorway). While the prisoner is bashing the closed door, unforbid the wall resource and build a wall with it.

Instead of waiting for her to starve, which is a loooong process, you might seal them with some heaters or coolers, and wait for hypothermia or heatstroke. If you're not careful, heatstroke might set her on fire, while frostbite might cost her toes or fingers.

An easier way to do this is to use a psychic shock lance. But it often causes brain damage.