Make predators not hunt boomalopes/boomrats

Started by Goldenpotatoes, April 23, 2016, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenpotatoes

I'm noticing a trend where most of the time, when a pack of boomalopes move in from off the map near a predator, it almost ALWAYS ends in a quarter of the map turning into a raging inferno before the rain comes to douse the now-barren land.

This seems pretty unintentional seeing how it even states in the boomalope's description that other animals avoid boomalopes because of their explosive properties. Avoiding usually means not attacking them the moment they feel peckish.

firescythe

Agree.

Considering also the hunt-by-hunger for carnivore animals, a boom flock is supposed to be avoided by nature. They still have several ways to die.

I would also suggest to reconsider chances a boom flock/one turning to mad. It encloses to the colony, dies then there is a fire to put out. I got a flock of 4 boomrats manhunting my settlers. I think everyone figure the results  :-\

cultist

I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that predators prefer other prey over explosive ones. I observed a wild grizzly idling near a single boomalope for several seasons without touching it. It didn't kill it (and get burnt) until the end of winter where it was severely limited in terms of prey. Could just be co-incidence, but most of the time predators just attack and kill whatever's closest.

Mithrawndo

I'm pretty sure that predators will try and hunt anything other than boomalopes/rats already, choosing them only when they're starving. It should be easy enough to implement if not, requiring only a small amount of code and an extra line of XML for each creature.

A simple fix for this would be to reduce the flammability of certain objects. A more complex way of acheiving this would be to add a dampness/humidity factor to biomes: Forest fires aren't a big problem in real Jungles not only because they get put out quickly, but because the foliage is too green to take flame. Conversely, tinder dry biomes should spread fire far more aggressively.

Personally I'd like to see natural selection implemented; Those predators who don't do silly things like hunt exploding rats breed, and their offspring become less inclined to do so. Given that I've never seen animals breeding in the wild, let alone inheritable traits, I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen.

On a tangent, I'd love to see boomrats turned into a carnivore myself, causing even more fires when the silly little cherub tries to take down a Muffalo!

Chthonic One

Predators and Boomalopes are the reason I build stone walls around my village. Stone does not burn. >.>

b0rsuk

Predators should learn and not make the same mistake twice.

BetaSpectre

IMO they should still hunt boomers, but they should be a last resort like if those are the only animals and they're starving. Maybe have a cannibalism mechanic as well.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO