Sexist Rimworld?

Started by TitaniumTurtle, April 24, 2016, 02:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TitaniumTurtle

So I just started A13 and so far have 6 colonists, 2 men and 4 women. All the women hate eachother, except for 2 that are sisters, the men have opposite opinions about each of the women, and only the 2 men are capable of dumb labor. I would say it was coincidence, but the 3 prisoners I have follow the same pattern. 2 women and 1 man, the women hate eachother, and the man is the only one of the 3 who can do dumb labor. Of course I know that traits are all suppose to be randomly generated, but I just thought it was a little funny how quickly I become aware of the colonists fitting stereotypes.

Aarkreinsil

Weren't the colonists pre-designed in some way? Like, a girl named "Engie" is always good at building and crafting, and so on. So that there are always certain skills and traits associated with some genders and names, at least that's what I experienced quite often.

Devon_v

Some of the characters are premade, they're from the Kickstarter. Others are random. Engie is one who pops up fairly frequently and she's usually an engineer. A big change in a13 is that once a character is generated the game keeps them even after they leave the map, so they'll come back again and again.

I think you found a weird batch of RNG though.

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Devon_v

Emmie joined my first colony. She just wandered onto the map naked and headed to the stockpile to get some clothes. She recruited lots of people for me.

Vaporisor

Oh.... so that is why Emmie is kinda a standout.  I never knew about the special character peeps.  Is there a list of the kickstarter people or other premades somewhere?
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

mumblemumble

In a way,  the rimworld character system reminds me of dynasty warriors.

Tons of characters all mixed up with all kinds of traits.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Coenmcj

I'm pretty sure that Emmie has an invisible bonus to her social, she just seems to be better at negotiating prices and handling difficulty 99 prisoners than alot of my colonists..
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Listen1

That boost is called nudist.

Boy, that would be funny.

StorymasterQ

Surely nudist is in fact the opposite of invisible :D Does give a boost to something though.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here