Mod Request - Roofed Area

Started by highborne, April 15, 2016, 08:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highborne

Because it is damn frustrating trying to figure out why things are unroofed when they should not be.

Kluge

Quote from: highborne on April 15, 2016, 08:20:36 PM
Because it is damn frustrating trying to figure out why things are unroofed when they should not be.
I'm pretty sure the only condition is that no open space can be more than x (14?) tiles away from a wall? ETA: Maybe there is some weirdness if it isn't closed off (if it is "outside")... unsure, always put doors and walls surrounding it so it looks neat.

Simulacrum0

Dev mode, view settings, draw roofs.

richard

Quote from: Simulacrum0 on April 15, 2016, 10:08:56 PM
Dev mode, view settings, draw roofs.
I would like to see this not be a dev mode thing too.

Rock5

I didn't know you could do that with dev mode. That will help me find those elusive holes in the roof.

I just checked it out. Very green. When checking out the mountain, it had about half a dozen no roof points. No wonder my tunnels were "unroofed".

It's a bit cheaty because it shows you the unroofed areas in the mountain that you haven't dug into yet.

I'd love to see a toggle button on the bottom right with those other options there to toggle the roof display, to help to see where the roofs are properly. But it should not show you the roof beyond the wall of the mountains like the dev mode option does.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Shinzy

Quote from: Rock5 on April 16, 2016, 09:00:29 AM
I'd love to see a toggle button on the bottom right with those other options there to toggle the roof display, to help to see where the roofs are properly.

mussi

This would be really useful. I hope to see it someday in the vanilla, not just as a dev mode option.

Quote from: Kluge on April 15, 2016, 09:21:07 PM
Quote from: highborne on April 15, 2016, 08:20:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the only condition is that no open space can be more than x (14?) tiles away from a wall? ETA: Maybe there is some weirdness if it isn't closed off (if it is "outside")... unsure, always put doors and walls surrounding it so it looks neat.

That distance is 5.  A roof requires a support within 5 cells (wall, door, anything with <supportsRoof> tag set to true).

There is the ground shadowing as an indicator for whether there is a roof, but it's not the best tool.  I wholly endorse the idea of a button to toggle the visibility of the actual roof though.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.