I've yet to get insects, but when I do, will this work?

Started by nuschler22, April 24, 2016, 09:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

When I get the insects I was planning on strategically construction an embrasure outside the room, then slowing taking down the walls so I can shoot inside and harvest.

Will that work?

viperwasp

Sort of... The A.I for the Insects are funny. If you keep your distance they should be harmless. They also have problems dealing with colonists standing in door ways. I think the insects A.I will be changed and right now you can exploit them once you know what your doing.  You need to keep your distance and pick them off at ranged. Depending on the situation they may not respond at all to the attack and let you just pick them off. You can also wall them in and light the room on fire and the heat will kill them.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

nuschler22

Quote from: viperwasp on April 25, 2016, 08:49:33 AM
Sort of... The A.I for the Insects are funny. If you keep your distance they should be harmless. They also have problems dealing with colonists standing in door ways. I think the insects A.I will be changed and right now you can exploit them once you know what your doing.  You need to keep your distance and pick them off at ranged. Depending on the situation they may not respond at all to the attack and let you just pick them off. You can also wall them in and light the room on fire and the heat will kill them.

I was thinking of trying to harvest them with this method.  Kill the insects, leave the hives.  :)

Mathenaut

You'll need a containment area and a pipeline into a killzone. Bugs only agro when specifically targeted, so you'll be drawing them into your killzone little by little. This needs to be efficient because the more hives you have, the less time you have to harvest.

Make sure you also kill off a number of hives with each harvest to keep the numbers down. If you hit critical mass, you'll have to burn everything out.