[A13]Puppy eats just before starving to death

Started by Jan2607, April 25, 2016, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I have a problem with my Labrador puppy. Often, he is only consuming food when he is starving. He is eating when he is over 30% of starving to death. I recognized this issue multiple times now.
My grown up pets don't have this problem.

My puppy is 11 days old and he is assigned to the unrestricted area, so he is allowed to enter my cooler, where I have meals and meat stored.
I can't force colonists to feed him, because he has learned every skill he can.

I would attach a screenshot of my colony, but the image would be too big.

Djd2000

Jan2607

skullywag

this was raised on A13 testing, not sure Tynan did anything about it though as I cant find a mantis issue for it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Jan2607

It would be nice, if Tynan or ison would read this bug report :)

milon

I'm sure at least one of them has, but didn't have anything to add yet. It's not like they want bugs in the game. ;)

Britnoth

An animals maximum 'stomach' size is directly related to its body size. Newborn animals cannot get through the night without starting to starve because of that.

Food consumption should probably also be scaled with body size..

Jan2607

Well, why don't they just eat, when they are hungry? If the stomach is empty, they should eat, and don't wait, until they are nearly starved to death...

Britnoth

Quote from: Britnoth on May 01, 2016, 01:41:32 PM
Newborn animals cannot get through the night without starting to starve because of that.

Tynan

Quote from: Britnoth on May 01, 2016, 01:41:32 PM
An animals maximum 'stomach' size is directly related to its body size. Newborn animals cannot get through the night without starting to starve because of that.

Food consumption should probably also be scaled with body size..

Good call, I'll have to look into this.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

ison

I guess the solution would be to make baseHungerRate define how fast food level percent decreases, not how fast food level decreases, so it would take the same amount of time for an adult dog to start starving as for a puppy.

Tynan

So currently:

-Max hunger level is body size = base body size (1.0 for labs) * cur life stage body size (0.1 for puppies) = 0.1

-Hunger rate is: Race base hunger rate (0.5) * cur life stage hunger rate (0.5 for puppies) = 0.25

I think the solution is just to balance up the body size of babies. I'll do that now.

Thanks for reporting!