More Disease that require surgery

Started by Kegereneku, April 25, 2016, 04:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

For all the surgery-equipment, sterile-room and complex gameplay we have, I'm surprised there's so few reasons to use it.
We keep gaining Infection, Parasite, worms... but the best you can do with that is clean, bandage and take pills...

What about disease that aren't immediately life-threatening but would require an operation under anesthetic with a good doctor ?

- Misshaped bones ("Crack" don't feel incapacitating enough, and DESTROYED LIMB happen too easily)
- Artery clogging (visible by looking at organ not functioning a 100%)
- Organ disease (e.g. liver because of alcohol)
- Skin graft (for burns)
- Obesity
- Parasite removal
- Hernia, Fistula (yes I'm reading wikipedia)
Of course, failure would cause infection.

The idea is to leave the player with two choices :
a) Do nothing, but live with a penalty (health/pain) until you get better doctor/stuff.
b) Take your best Doctor, best room and try to get a 100% of completely solving the problem.

Feel free to give better idea. Or tell me if I missed something already present in the game.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Vaporisor

For more unusual diseases, it would be interesting.  Reconstructive surgery should take a proper medkit I think as it is more delicate.  Cracks and such would definitely be an interesting temporary hindrance.  Right in between permanent and nothing, a moderate medical threat but not major.

Scarring is something else.  Usually that goes along with nerve damage that cannot be repaired.  Asthma though does offer a new insight into how this could work.  I am thinking that scars and more passive, non treatable ailments such as asthma could make use of something else.

I am thinking manufacturing medicines from herbal root, but not a medpack.  Essentially it is a longer duration treatment equal to receiving a perscription.  It is making use of a valuable resource, but it reduces severity by one.  So scars and burns, red goes to orange, orange to yellow, yellow to green, but cannot be stacked up.  This means you can get that slight boost for meds, but the guys who are more beat up will need the painstoppers and joywires or limb replacements.  As it is a medication, they shouldn't have to wait for the doc. 

Could have that with other ones as well.  If you make the meds for malaria, etc, they can grab them.  But you do not get the doc's bonus?  Two checkboxes.  Use drugs, treat scarring.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Mathenaut

It would definitely be nice to have some ailment range between '100% healthy' and 'riddled with permanent debuffs'.

Having things that are practically recoverable is a nice change.