MODDERS PLEASE READ, Abstracts and how they should be used.

Started by 1000101, April 25, 2016, 05:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forestfey

oh geez... I wish I had noticed this earlier...
what does it all mean? %D
what is an abstract and how/where do I define it, and reference it from another file? (sorry if you think those are silly questions)

Is the situation still like this?

and finally...
WHAT HAVE I (not) DONE??!!  :o

It's all a bit much right now, but I want to do it right. And clean. I just need to know how and where to learn, with preferably visual examples...
"Despite all our accomplishments, we owe our existence to a six-inch layer of top-soil and the fact that it rains."
_
Klirrend klare Nacht
funkelt durch den Schleier.
Entfaltung nach innen

Jingling clear night
Sparkles through the veil.
Unfolding inwards

skullywag

Anywhere your xml defs have "ParentName="BuildingBase"" (or any other parent) you need havr that parent def in you mod, its as simple as that, so make sure the chain is complete and that no def you need is outside of you mod. Dont depend on a def that is in core.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

forestfey

oh, ok, I think I get that. That means I need to make a (slightly modified in terms of defnames?) copy of the defbase.xml files that define the basic properties of different stuff-categories like building, pawn, food and so on, their inherited children, too?

Say, if I made an animal that is not just a race but also a big cat or rodent-like, do I only need the animalbase or the specific BigCatbase or whatever, too? Would I need a separate document for this "sub-basedef" or could I define it along with the specific race (further down) in the same file like it is done in Core?
That's just an example I can very much relate to, obviously... it might be a "special" approach, but I'm helping myself to understand all this with conceptual metaphors or examples from biology :P that might indeed conflict with the terminology of software-development at some points (like, WTH is an "ecosystem" for you people, do you even what it actually is and WTH do you use exactly that term? I'm still not sure it was explained properly to me xD)
I will highlight terms I have in suspicion to do so.
...What a funny thing, because it's so close to the original problem with shared defnames but takes place on a different communication-level! =)
"Despite all our accomplishments, we owe our existence to a six-inch layer of top-soil and the fact that it rains."
_
Klirrend klare Nacht
Entfaltung nach innen

Jingling clear night
Unfolding inwards

skullywag

You dont NEED abstracts, as long as your def contains all the fields it needs to be a complete def, The abstracts are there to make it easier to set values for things on multiple defs instead of typing the same thing out all the time, so basically however you do it thats all you have to achieve.

milon

Quote from: ison on December 22, 2016, 01:19:29 PM
Could anyone please confirm that you can't in fact inherit XML nodes from the Core mod like BuildingBase? If so then it's a bug. Since A15 you should be able to inherit from all nodes which come from mods loaded before your mod.

Has anyone tested this? I haven't seen a reply regarding inheritance. (Sorry if I missed something.)

Rock5

Quote from: milon on January 22, 2017, 04:33:16 PM
Quote from: ison on December 22, 2016, 01:19:29 PM
Could anyone please confirm that you can't in fact inherit XML nodes from the Core mod like BuildingBase? If so then it's a bug. Since A15 you should be able to inherit from all nodes which come from mods loaded before your mod.

Has anyone tested this? I haven't seen a reply regarding inheritance. (Sorry if I missed something.)
Looks like the only way you are going to get an answer to that is to test it yourself.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

forestfey

is there a specific place where one could put things to be checked for this? That info might be useful here, but for lowering the spam-risk, a PM or something would be cool, too. If there is such a thing at all... :-\
_
Klirrend klare Nacht
Entfaltung nach innen

Jingling clear night
Unfolding inwards

ison

I've just tested it and it seems that it is possible to inherit XML nodes like BuildingBase from other mods, so I'm not sure if this thread is still valid.

skullywag

Ill have to give this a go myself, would reduce a lot of xml.

If this is now fixed, this should probably be unsticked and locked.

Good luck to future modders, RimWorld is a fun game and was fun to mod but I've moved on to new and exciting* things.

* Depending on your definition :P
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.