two bizarre frusterating things noticed in A13

Started by rexx1888, April 25, 2016, 08:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexx1888

so uh... turrets an heaters an such that ive turned off keep breaking down.. how.. what.. why?

follow up, animals can still outrun my colonists, which means hungry bears in winter will probably attack an eat a person.. an i wont know about it till i get a notification that someone needs treatment.. not sure how to fix that as bears will often change targets, but id really like some form of update about it before it becomes a problem rather than after

b0rsuk

In my experience you get a warning message the moment an animal hits you in melee. It would be nicer if the warning happened the moment an animal made the decision to close in and attack you.

Aatxe360

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 25, 2016, 09:44:31 PM
In my experience you get a warning message the moment an animal hits you in melee. It would be nicer if the warning happened the moment an animal made the decision to close in and attack you.

I've only noticed that during hunting when the 'animal revenge' notification pops up.

hwfanatic

Yeah, if a bear decides to eat one of your colonists, he/she will probably be dead before you know it and there is nothing that can be done except preemptively killing all the bears.

Mathenaut

When certain animals get hungry and decide to hunt, they will target your colonists. In this case, they are not flagged as hostile for some reason, so nothing will respond until it is too late.

Reddeath96

Machinery in real life  can break  due to not being used, especially anything with moving joints tht are "improvised". I'm also assuming this is true for anything made in rimworld. But yes I've noticed that most of my breakdowns are from turned off devices.

Mithrawndo

I'd like to see devices that are offline stop breaking down too; I'd rather I didn't know it had broken until I tried to switch it back on. Machines - particularly with moving parts - need maintenance: You can't just expect a car to start if you've left it locked in a garage for months on end. Often it will, but turning it over without checking is a bad idea. Given that no breakdowns are ever inherintly catastrophic*, having them break the moment you switched them on would be perfect.

Now that colonists can react to threats - a hungry bear will cause a colonist to either run in fear or fight - maybe a colonist fleeing should pop up as a message? This seems like a simple little fix at any rate.

*The results may be catastrophic, but your battery won't explode just because you tried to switch it on. That'd be pretty cool though...

rexx1888

i dont overtly object to a maintenance being a thing that ppl with repair do, but at the moment breakdowns are an RNG thing that players cant do anything about. that isnt even a "feel bad" its an "annoying". i just want a thing i can do to limit or reduce the amount of breakdowns i get in stuff that im not using is all.

as to warnings, i like the idea of getting one when a colonist is fleeing. means you can react quicker to ai stupidness too

GarettZriwin

Instead of message like "XXX revenge" simple red notification such as bad mood or fire would do just fine I think.

cultist

You have to keep an closer eye on wild animals than you did before. Predators will very rarely attack your colonists if they have other prey. But if you kill all the herbivores or cold weather kills them off, you need to start paying extra attention to hunger levels and proximity of predators.

I personally like that the map isn't safe just because there's not a raid on. No more just unforbidding every item on the map, settting a guy to only haul and just watch the riches roll in. Good resource management is more important and rewarding than ever, even in less harsh biomes like temp. forest and shrublands.