A few suggestions on visitors/traders

Started by ReZpawner, April 27, 2016, 04:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReZpawner

A couple of small suggestions that I would like to see implemented. And one larger one:

Allow us to mark an area for cleaning, without adding it as a home region. When playing long games, the map will often be full of rubble that we cannot remove without setting it as the home region (which can cause a lot of problems).

Allow us to perform surgery on traders/visitors that have injured limbs. I'm not talking about stealing their organs, but for instance giving them a prosthetic leg so they can walk home.

A trader/visitor area. Right now, they appear to go wherever they please (as long as it's considered an outside area). On cold maps, this can be very hazardous to their health. Let us just make an area for them to congregate in.

(the big one) Some trader changes. Allow us to summon a trading ship. It can take a LONG time for a trading-ship to arrive as it is, and I currently have 4 times the storage-space I would otherwise need, since they arrive so slowly. Much like asking for help via the comms, it would be nice if we could pay some neutral trader faction to send us a ship. Make it as expensive as you please (upwards to 5000 silver) to prevent abuse. All the functions needed for this are already in the game, so it shouldn't be very difficult to implement, and charging lots and lots of money for it would help balancing things out. You don't even have to specify the ship. It could be random, as long as A trader arrives.

BetaSpectre

Being able to select where visitors can stay has caused problems in the past with the locked doors thing.

A player could use this to force NPC's into traps, like dead fall traps which are indirect ways to kill so it wouldn't be registered, or to replace doors with walls, trapping the NPC's into a fridge or flame trap.

Alternatively a player could use this to move them around basically making travelers a bunch of mercenaries.

It'd be cool to do surgery on an NPC if its beneficial maybe this could garner some rep from their faction?

Marking an area outside the home region for cleaning would be cool. Personally I think that you should be able to make contracts to have the traders appear periodically like once a month.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

ReZpawner

Perhaps then a "not allowed" area would be more useful (and harder to exploit) for traders then? I would very much like it if they didn't stand directly in my line of fire, for example. Or if they didn't march all over my sterile rooms.

BetaSpectre

Quote from: ReZpawner on April 27, 2016, 04:37:21 AM
Perhaps then a "not allowed" area would be more useful (and harder to exploit) for traders then? I would very much like it if they didn't stand directly in my line of fire, for example. Or if they didn't march all over my sterile rooms.

Personally I think that there will always be a way to exploit them if you can directly or indirectly control their movement patterns.

I don't know if they ignore locked doors in the current version or if they only knock them down when they notice they're trapped.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

kesulin

Maybe trader must install outside home area and construct a little house with campfire if climate is too cold.
Before leaving must deconstruct all and put all materials back in animals.

ReZpawner

Quote from: BetaSpectre on April 27, 2016, 04:46:30 AM
Quote from: ReZpawner on April 27, 2016, 04:37:21 AM

Personally I think that there will always be a way to exploit them if you can directly or indirectly control their movement patterns.

I don't know if they ignore locked doors in the current version or if they only knock them down when they notice they're trapped.

They just go through them. You can't actually 'lock' any doors, you can only prevent your own colonists from interacting with them. It doesn't stop the traders at all.

BetaSpectre

Quote from: kesulin on April 27, 2016, 04:51:43 AM
Maybe trader must install outside home area and construct a little house with campfire if climate is too cold.
The player who wants to trap them can then make everywhere but the center of their base a homezone, so the colonists will always be funneled into the center. Then the player can seal them inside.

The set up right now IMO is the best way to avoid traders being trapped, although unrealistic and annoying.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

kesulin

Quote from: BetaSpectre on April 27, 2016, 04:54:54 AM
The player who wants to trap them can then make everywhere but the center of their base a homezone, so the colonists will always be funneled into the center. Then the player can seal them inside.

The set up right now IMO is the best way to avoid traders being trapped, although unrealistic and annoying.
If traders are not allowed to cross home area solve this problem.
If there are no area in the map available traders not stop.
if someone want make a trap to traders allways do it, not matter what Tynan do, to solve this, make faction an enemy if traders they send not returns to their base, and they send a huge attack next season.

BetaSpectre

Quote from: kesulin on April 27, 2016, 05:02:05 AM
Quote from: BetaSpectre on April 27, 2016, 04:54:54 AM

If traders are not allowed to cross home area solve this problem.
If there are no area in the map available traders not stop.
if someone want make a trap to traders allways do it, not matter what Tynan do, to solve this, make faction an enemy if traders they send not returns to their base, and they send a huge attack next season.
Traders can be attacked by bandits attacking you, so it would be unfair if they become enemies if their group dies to natural causes that the player didn't cause.

Though I do agree maybe you just can't stop players from making traps, or its not worth stopping them perhaps this ought to just be a potential way to play that shouldn't be hindered.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

kesulin

If traders are attacked by bandits they must flee, if someone survive faction not become an enemy, if nobody survive faction undestand player kill tradres and send an attack.

for avoid traps an player let survive only one trader, if someone die and there are no bandits in the map, factions became an enemy as well.

this suggestion makes player must protect traders I think, maybe needs some improves but the idea is faction became an enemy if something happens to traders.

ReZpawner

We're drifting a bit off topic here, but things like these can be countered with some sort of reputation penalty (just not a severe one).

PrZe77

maybe it would be a solution if visiter and caravans gives a always bad reputation if they get injured in a visiter zone (the area gives still a malus up to one seasons after you delete them.

another possible solution could be an assessment of the situation: if there people often dies by visiting your colony they dont visit you anymore because its to dangerous. they dont start to attack you but they avoid your colony especially when they carry expensive stuff.
so you get only traders with crap.
you can give them silver to make your colony to a "safe area" again.
(everytime a pawn leave the map without new injurys: safety +1,
been attacked on the map: safety - 1,
somebody died during the vistit: safety -5,
e.g.)

ReZpawner

I guess I won't get many traders on the -71.1C map then :P Most of them seem to die rather quickly.

PrZe77

Sure - there is no reason the send caravans or people into there dead.

firescythe

Quote from: PrZe77 on April 27, 2016, 09:18:23 AM
maybe it would be a solution if visiter and caravans gives a always bad reputation if they get injured in a visiter zone (the area gives still a malus up to one seasons after you delete them.

Not bad idea, but scoring conditions should be better defined. Many accident can happen during a visit which is not responsibility of the village. I had a group of visitors with Muffalo standing next to my smelter, had a lightning, made fire, Muffalo got 5 burns. Pretty much not my fault :)
Or walking through a raid dispute, and catching a stray bullet.
Coming at manhunting animal period.
Boomer animals goes off.
Etc.

So might be an easy way to judge score by ending up damages, but a professional trader knows deeper than that and measures differently.
I'm trader-friendly in general and expect to have many traders come by, but if I need to take care from entrance to exit their personal safety, it would mean too much effort.