The year without a summer.

Started by Rim soldier, July 01, 2016, 07:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rim soldier

This whole bloody thing started aout a year and a half a go when a volcano erupted on the other side of the world. The ash blocked out the sun and made everything cold. Our crops (witch were already failing due to toxic fallout) died and with winter fast aproaching we had to kill our cows and 2 of our r 4 pigs.

We still ran out of food though and even though we had 5 hydro basins we still could not produce enough food for all 15 of us. We attempted to send some people out to hunt but, because it was winter the temputure was too cold for us to stay out long enough to catch anything.

Spring came round and, athough the temputure was too cold to grow anything it was just about warm enough to hunt.

By summer time the temputure had risen (to about 0°). But the ash in the atmoshphere showed no signs of dissapating, still, it was warm enough to hunt stuff.

But by the the end of summer we had hunted almost all of animals in the area and we were still hungry. Unfortunatly we had to kill the remaing pigs and the dogs.

Then disaster struck. A group of sappers attacked. They mined thair way right into the hydroponics room and destroyed the basins then in the procinding battle the food store was set on fire destroying half of the food. They were finaly forced to retreat after a prolonged battle, but not before the they had killed engie, ralph and zoe, we also managed to take two prisoners. Who knows how we'll feed them.

Without hydroponics we were forced to hunt squirrels, this kept us going until winter.

We dug up the dead from the battle and ate them, we had to, they were dead anyways so i guess they wouldnt mind.

The food ran out on the 7th of winter. We had no corpses. No potatoes nothing.

We killed the two prisoners the next day, they kept us going for a bit.

Some of us went mad after killing the prisoners. Brick was the first to go mental, he was an empath so i guess he couldnt take seeing people suffer like that. He ran off into the tundra. We never saw him again. The next two mental breaks were much more violent. Sasha and nova both went beserk. We managed to subdue them but they both died of indfections a few days later.

There are 9 of us left.

Stomach worms, thats the last thing we need. Ben, Bianca, joe and xana all have stomach worms.

We told all the people with stomach worms to report to the hospital for a "cure". We didnt tell them the cure was euthanasia. We managed to get ben, joe and xana but, bianca somehow found out what we were doing and tried to run off into the tundra. She didnt get far though, 100 meters out the door she colapsed of severe hypothermia. We sent bill after the body (we needed the food) the came back but with severe frostbite all over his body we had to amputate his right arm and left leg.

We ran out of food (again) at the end of winter. Russel volentered to be killed because he was the oldest, we did it quickly. But then borris and jagerbomb got into a fight over how much food they were each eating and all hell broke loose. I thing jagerbomb got shot and albert got stabbed in the head.

What is the point of surviving if being alive means sacrificing your humanity.

Everyones fighting eachother now. Jagerbomb tried to kill me but i shot him. He screamed and ran off, he sill probably blead out soon anyways. Bill is hiding somewhere and boris os roaming the tunnels with a shotgun. Looking for his next victim/meal.

Borris found bill, i heard the screms coming from the store room.

Jagerbomb went mad and went running out the door shouting somthing about finding a tribe.

Its just me and Boris.

He came at me in the night, with his shotgun in one hand and the last beer bottle in the other, i knew it was me or him. I shot at him with my pistol, i must have hit him because he let out a cry and started firing wildly in my general direction while screaming "my eye!!" i ran away, firing wildly behind me. I eventualy found my self in the store room, with only bills half eaten corpse for company.

I am the last one.

Boris's yells became screams, then sobs, then nothing.

The ash has gone, as are the lives of 14 fellow colonists

What have i done??????

I have commited so many sins, another final one wont make much of a differance.

-This note was found by explores on the planet Azkat, tundra region; the note was found hanging round the neck of a frozen corpse. The subject seems to have been killed by a self inflicted pistol shot to the head.

Thanks for reading my short rimworld story. This is my first story so sorry if its a little boring. It is based on a true event that happend when randy random decided to give me a 1.5 year long volcanic winter.

+1 points if u get the refrence in the title. :)

Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the humans in the area have been driven insane.

Adamiks

Winter is coming

Winter has come

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thane

YAY! I get a plus one!

Excellent read. There are some bits of text speak that slipped through and some spelling errors, but overall the layout isn't terrible. Quite nice for a first effort and the dark setting of Rimworld slips in nicely. 8/10!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.