Warning! Be on the lookout for escaped convicts! (RP playthrough) Concluded

Started by Vaporisor, April 23, 2016, 12:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaporisor

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 11th Spring 5503

A profitable day!  Two massive beasts showed up in the area today and proceeded to start eating the forest.  From the looks and behavior of them, we figure these are the mythical Thrumbos that the tribespeople have told us about in past meetings.  One sniper shot to aggrivate by me, then a bit of luring them into our trap and they don't seem so tough.

What I do know is that this fur is quite nice and am sure that collectors and superstitious will pay a premium for their horns.  Will have a feast tonight for sure.  Don't think nature agreed and must have read my mind.  Before we even began to hunt the Thrumbos, monkeys in the area went mad for some reason and attacked.

And later in the day?  Beavers!  Must be some tasty wood.  Don't know for sure about that, but what I do know is that we now have so much meat that we are even giving it to the pigs.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 4th Summer 5503

Finally some traders show so we can do business.  Criminalist trades started up earlier this morning allowing us to unload a whole pile of surplus apparel that we do not want.  Later in the day, we got word that an exotic goods trader had entered orbit.

The disappointing part was that we were very limited on available merchandise for purchase.  We have been needing an assortment of bionic components, but their selections were limited at best.

Maybe we should have bought the elephant.  Start a circus or something and charge admission.  Or attack elephants!  That would have been interesting.

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 11th Summer 5503

Same old, same old.  Pirates attack, they fall in a hail of gunfire as we pop out of our bunkers.  We had a few survivors, but they didn't stick around long.  A pirate trader showed up today so we sold the lot of them off to them.  Of course some people having problems.  Red most notably.  We were able to give her at least one bionic eye.  Helped somewhat but still will need an eye and arm replaced to really get back in the game.

Other than that, some good joking around the table.  Emmie made an interesting observation about the trained pigs.  They seem to almost work harder than the folk around here.  She got a good laugh as one of the piglets went running buy with a stack of devilstrand draped over it's head.  We also need to talk to M'ikayla about her training.  Somebody tell me how that one pig got into the kitchen please?  That cannot be hygenic...

Also, somebody explain to me why Mal is marrying somebody so useless.  Guy is good in a fight and that is about it.  Well, I guess why fight if you can get somebody to do it for you?

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 14th Summer 5503

Another day, another attack.  I was an idiot, everybody was stupid.  The mechanoids came down in the northeast while I was in the extreme southwest hunting.

In my ignorance, I thought they had enough tactical sense to figure it out for themselves as I finished the hunt.  Was I wrong.

During the staging for the fight, Red went into stress mode.  Being a melee combatant, we let her and Ben off defense duty.  While Ben slept, Red decided to snap and attack him.  Valkyrie was nearby and was able to wake him as Red charged to his room.

Red's skills were too great.  She quickly disabled Ben, and put Valkyrie to the ground after taking her foot.  Emmie and her Worg went to intercept, but Red went after Violet, the pig.  Violet had none of that and brought Red down.

((Thought I had a screenshot of this, but apparently I didn't paste it and save it.  That frustrates me....))

In the mean time, the strain of waiting for the centipedes really grates on my nerves.  One at a time we slowly engaged, luring them to our front lines.  The worst part was that one was ignoring us.  While we dispatched two of them, the third moseyed on down to the south gate that somebody failed to close.  Stupid.

It is our costliest fight to date.  Bionics that were supposed to be allocated to M'ikayla now potentially going to Valkyrie instead.  Cai lost her other arm so we need to give her a prosthetic.  Cai's sniper rifle also got pretty heavily damaged so will need to make a new one.  We have Red locked up as we figure out what to do with her.  If she had killed anybody, I would have had her executed.

From now on, anybody showing signs of malcontent will be locked up.  Red had a free schedule and abused it.  That makes me angry.   This should have gone smooth.  I hate mistakes.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 14th Summer 5503 Continued

Enough was enough.  In security Red was acting up.  Nightingale was working to keep Red from tearing down the door when a drunken Valkyrie walks right in and proceeds to get attacked.  So we told Ben he could get his revenge.  Ben went and grabbed Red's spear and promptly put her down permanently.  No crypt for her.  To the pigs feed with Red.  What a waste of a bionic eye.

Red was good with a spear, and a great machinist, but way too much of a liability.  Now the issue comes down to who will make our components and weaponry...

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 3rd Fall 5503

After the fiasco with Red, we have started implementing a new security policy.  Mal and Aerin have begun converting M'ikayla into the soldier she wishes to be.

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Realjuan

I was wondering where you had experience writing, wish I had more RP experience myself. Or any at all.

Really enjoy reading it, I wonder if putting everything in one document would make it easier and faster to read.

Vaporisor

Quote from: Realjuan on May 06, 2016, 05:59:18 AM
I was wondering where you had experience writing, wish I had more RP experience myself. Or any at all.

Really enjoy reading it, I wonder if putting everything in one document would make it easier and faster to read.

Mostly just years of roleplay and reading way to many books.  They key to roleplay is looking past the medium, and just the context of what is going on.

Quote from: Dante King on May 06, 2016, 06:54:07 AM
R.I.P Red

For example.  From a gameplay perspective, I had two painstoppers and she had acute pain for a while at a -15.  That would have helped earlier on.  The bionic eye dropped it to a -10 but selling four slaves gave a -22 to mood.  I knew beforehand that it would be bad to sell them, but I really just ignore the mood values themselves in things like roleplay.  Instead, I had a colony that is lead by psychopaths so all the actions in this play are centered around them.

So I decided early that if Red acted up, I would arrest her.  Well her acting up in prison, then a drunk Valkyrie opening the door, a group of psychopaths wouldn't understand that the entire mood issue was slave trading and how it affected Red so Ben was allowed to pick up his spear and revenge.  From a gameplay perspective, I would never do it like that.  From a roleplay, that made for more engaging story and more fitting of what is going on.

Putting the writing all in one source; it is something that crossed my mind.  The one reason I didn't is the mix of small events and large events spread out over long days.  Hence the journal format.  It allows me to separate the dates and at a glance can see what is going on.  Really more of an experiment than anything.  Was hoping a person who is interested can just browse for last date they read and read on from that.

Most importantly, am hoping people are really liking it.  I want to gear up for a conclusion of this colony soon since I think it has reached that stage where everything is fairly stable and would otherwise be at the mercy of the RNG.  If people are enjoying, I would like to do it again soon with a seed I have been holding onto.  An Extreme Randy difficulty hardcore mode play on top of that.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 13th Fall 5503

To say it has been a stressful past few days is an understatement.  For the past few days we have been needing to hide out and play cat and mouse combat games in the compound.  Full days of rotating combat, patching our wounded and right back at it.

It all started on the evening of the tenth.  While we were all heading to bed, a piece of ship debris crashed right outside our home walls.  We immediately mobilized.  Having dealt with these types of components in the past, we were expecting mechanoids to emerge.  Unfortunately before we could deal with that, some insect hives emerged in the mines and the prison.

Normally neither would be of much difficulty, but with these two events together, we knew time would not be on our side.  If we left the bugs, they would overrun the place before we could deal with it.  If we left the ship, then the psychic effects hitting our people would worsen.

We started by attacking the bugs.  We snuck in to prop the prison doors open and lure the bugs out allowing us to pick them off and wear them down over time and clear the cells.  It took over half a day to clear the bugs out of the prison; after which Ben moved in to close the hives.

That was only a satellite collection of hives from the insects.  It was worse deep in the mines and we didn't have the time to deal with them.  Instead, we had Trudy grab some molotovs to follow Ryu into the mines.  Cai and I held back to cover the hallway.  The two snuck in and lit the hives on fire.  If any bugs aggressed, they fell back to where we were.  Within a few hours, the hives were ignited as well as some other debris.  This slowly raised the temperature of the caves until the bugs boiled to death in the hot air.  Eventually we were able to vent the caves, then go in and extinguish the fires.

That still left the ship.

We all staged at the east gate.  The one closest to the ship components.  Cai and myself snuck outside the walls and began to snipe off the drones from a distance.  ...And we spotted them.  The pirates thought it would be a good idea to attack at that time.  They ran right into the aggressed mechanoids.  Some of the pirates fought while others broke down our walls.

This is where things get stressful.  We already spent a day hunting bugs, then more time trying to disable the mechs.  Now we had pirates running around our home!  On top of that, they damaged the ship component to the point where the mechs switched over to attack mode!  We had to clear out these raiders all while avoiding the mechanoids.

It didn't take too long to drive them back considering the damage  their combatants took at the ship part.  On our end we spent the next day we ran about sniping and luring the mechs to keep them outside the compound.  On constant rotation so we could keep eating.  Stress ran rampant and some of us broke but fortunately we were able to subdue those who did without killing any of them.

Overall, we had a pile of injured, but fortunately none of them permanent.  I dont know how.  A few were close to death from the wounds they received by getting shot in the head.  Only reason we survived was being able to keep them to the outer walls while we patched the inner breach.  It took hours to take down even one of the centipedes though.  A full day to get them all.

If even one got through, we would have had to engage them directly and casualties definitely would have been much worse.  The odd tribesman came to help, but they quickly got killed by the superior hostile forces.

Starlight I think is getting a bit senile.  Wandered right up to a centipede and only ran after getting shot.  Stupid mutt.  Violet the Pig went about dragging the centipede corpses around, that was humorous.   I think I need another beer....  and then get off this rock.  Back to the core systems.  Got an empire to build.

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 14th Fall 5503

Another short one.  Turns out today is Cai's birthday.  As a present, found out that she has a cholesterol problem and some minor artery blockage at the age of 28.

Oh, and mechanoids attacked.

Happy Birthday.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

YEAR FOUR IN REVIEW

Journal of Samuel Redmen

DATE: 11th Winter 5504

Been a tough year.  Mechanoids invading, having to kill Red and sickness rampant.  I really do hate this place.  Nothing here to do, no future, nothing.  Uptight workers needing to be catered and spoiled to prevent the whole place from falling apart.

If they knew....

After the last mechanoid attack, we made a call.  I closed off the chicken field so we could build a new experimental reactor.  The past couple weeks were quiet so I was able to get a lot done.  To celebrate, there are going to be some fireworks.  We are setting up which is why we are not in the saloon with the rest.

So the new folks:

Brett Hoffman

I already spoke a bit about Brett, but a recap.  Useless fiancee of Mal.  But a good fighter.  Maybe Mal sees something I don't but who knows.  Her business, not mine.  He is 47.  Grew up in the slums of an urbworld, but got out and managed to work his way to being a noble of some medieval planet.  Maybe that is why he is coming along.  Makes a good figurehead.

Ryusho 'Ryu'  Yosei

Now he is quite the character.  Just showed up and started working.  If you can call it work.  For being 20, he is pretty naive still.  All he really was good for was helping in the garden and hauling stuff around.  The others got along well with him.  He always had some story or tale to share with the others while they ate, or worked, or just stood around waiting for raiders to show their faces.

Oh, is almost time for the fireworks to begin.  Looks like everybody is ready.  It's a pretty heavy rain out there as usual.  Always rain and never stops...

Is too bad.  On any other planet, what we built would make us powerful and wealthy for the rest of our lives.  Here, it is nothing.

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Quote from: Dante King on May 08, 2016, 04:43:28 PM
Is this the end?
Have a conclusion coming up soon :-)

Edit:  By soon I meant I was hoping to write it now, but have some other things I need to get done and a dinner to go to so will be a few hours.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaporisor

Journal of Cai

Attached is a scrawled page written on what appears to be watersoaked paper.

It has been a Two days since the day we viewed as a day of hope.  Every year we all got together.  We took a photo as one.  We were family.  But we didn't get that way by choice, but instead by necessity.

I look back through this log and see words.  Spiteful words.  It is a truth we knew.  To them, we were but tools.  They sat in their fortress of stone.  Three amongst more.  They drew the ire of all who live here.  Power and greed compelling them.  For us, we had no choice.  We had been captured.  They viewed us as a threat so would not let us go.  Red and I knew the type.

Demons, souless demons.  We worked, or we died.

We saw first hand their savageness as they ripped the organs out of those who sought to remove these monsters from our lands then send their victims home with but rags.  We tried to change their ways as their power was too great to stop by force.  More and more were locked into the cage.  We secretly were able to get them to help us.  To try and get the power from their hands. 

Over the few years, we grew.  We lived in our wooden shacks, only the pigs as neighbours.  Fighting to protect our home while trying to stop the bloodshed.  Over time, their paranoia made them do right.  Though out of fear and not compassion, for they had none.

Their paranoia grew with time.  They manipulated and twisted words in our ears.  Tempted with food and alchohol while whispering in the backround.  In the end, they killed one of our family.

My good friend Red.  Since childhood we had been together.  The pressure they placed.  Forcing her to fire on former friends and allies.  None were pushed harder until the day she finally broke.  Overcome with grief and shock, she no longer saw her friends.  She was convinced they were all monsters.  While she was locked in the prison, they manipulated poor Ben into trying to stop her and handed him the cruelest of all weapons. 

Her own. 

He did not want to kill her, but Red was blinded and in defending himself, struck a mortal blow.

Now they are gone.  And with them, years of hard work and labour.  Taken by their deceit.  I do not know what else to say about them.  We have now elected Trudy as leader who asked to speak to us this morning on the field of sin.  I have been asked to record the first address.

*The following is a video recording from the records of Microton

The video starts from a position elevated from eye level.  Seen in the picture is a flower pot and statue.  Around them stands eleven people.  One appeared to be bandaged.  A tall stone wall appears across the background.  The floor is of a finished metal.  The sun is rising in the west.

There is a middle aged woman in the middle of the circle flanked by two others; a younger man and woman.  She begins to speak.

"I am glad you all are here,"  She says looking over at the one known as London, "Two days ago, the truth we have known was confirmed.  Our overseers abandoned us, leaving us on our own.  The following day, the Whales thought they could exploit this and one of us were nearly killed"

"But we were not killed.  We fought as we had fought in the past, and as we will fight in the future.  We were not abandoned.  We were liberated.  We have food, walls and family.  Through efforts, we have repaired relations and united the tribes.  They feared the strength of our unity and fled paradise on the day of new beginnings."

"We watched as the greatest threat to all who live here fled.  Leaving in a trail of fire.  Their engines igniting in the sky, the most beautiful pyrotechnics I have seen."

"So it is here we stand today.  This spot a memorial to the place that our enemies defeated themselves.  The flowers will forever be grown here.  A symbol that this spot is where new life began.  And this statue of stone, in honor of the one who even in death continued to fight against that enemy.  Valkyrie, thank you for crafting this fine memorial."

"Day Eleven is the day in which the rain began to fall"

"Day Twelve is the day the damn broke and the flood threatened to wash us away"

"We have been waiting...  Waiting for the sun...  Day Thirteen is that day.  The sun has come, and now is our time to bloom."

DATE: 13th Winter 5504

END (For now?)

I hope you guys liked reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.  I honestly didn't think I would be putting as much time and personal connection into it as I originally thought.  I do have my choose adventure one, but I really would like to do another roleplay story in a while if you folks would like.  The journal style was fun, but if I do another, I am thinking of a more chapter novella story for my next.

Anyways, I love constructive feedback.  If you would like another, please share of things you might like to see.  Perhaps different presentations to the writing.  Thanks to all of you for joining in this adventure with me.

Edit:  Oh, and if any of you have questions about creating or events and scenes, feel free to ask.  The game drove the story.  Nothing had been modded or tweaked during the playthrough. 

My favorite part was I wanted to make a memorial on the launchpad after I got the idea to build in the chicken pen and convert it.  Day 11 was the colony starting day and the ship was completed on Day 10.  I wanted to screenshot the memorial during a sunrise with the colonists and the rain stopped night of the 12th, making it Day 13 for the group photo.  The art I actually had not read description on until this event.  The game is what really gave me this ending.  I just grabbed the statue from the stockpile, placed it and read it as I set up the pawns....
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes