Removing research projects via a mod

Started by Krutchen, April 29, 2016, 04:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krutchen

So, I'm working on a little something to have a Crafting & Smithing tech tree, but I can't quite figure out how to get rid of some of the research projects that might give a shortcut to some things.

Namely, the smithing, electric smelters, machining table, and powered armour research projects are what's giving me issues.
All of these research projects are going to be incorporated into a tree, and we can't have shortcuts laying around like that!

Does anyone have any tips for me?

skullywag

just set up the tree and add any new researches and prerequisites of them, confused as to what your issue is. If you mean for now while you work on it, you might be able to set a prerequisite of itself that might remove it entirely.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Krutchen

Well, within 15 minutes I found out what I could do to achieve my goals.
I'm going to leave this thread here for future reference, though.

Setting the cost to 0 appears to auto-complete the research
Removing the <totalCost> argument appears to set it to a default of 100
Making the project a prerequesite, as skully suggested, did the trick
Hopefully this will help anyone else who wants to make some form of tech tree to replace the default one.

Quote from: skullywag on April 29, 2016, 04:57:16 AM
just set up the tree and add any new researches and prerequisites of them, confused as to what your issue is. If you mean for now while you work on it, you might be able to set a prerequisite of itself that might remove it entirely.

I was attempting to get rid of vanilla research projects because they would circumvent mine, Skully, that's all.

RawCode

you can't "remove" anything via XML, you some coding.

skullywag

you can "hide" though as per the above, which was what the OP was after.

Setting a research as prerequisite of itself in this case is a known tactic for hiding research.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

The only issue with a project requiring itself is that it will still be visible in the research window.  CCL will actually detect and hide those research projects and hide them entirely.  Just be aware that non-CCL users will still see them.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.