animal starvation?

Started by zandadoum, April 29, 2016, 05:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zandadoum

So...

Iguana nr. 4... no map restriction... no health issues other than malnutrition... plenty of kibble available...
yet, been starving for 2 days now...

and not only this animal, happened before and will happen again.

question is.. WHY?

b0rsuk

Animals have issues detecting available food, especially if the barn is far away from food supply. I noticed my dogs are far more likely to eat butchered meat and corpses near butchering table than go to the fridge next door. Maybe they don't like refrigerated meat. The fridge was in allowed zone.

cultist

Animals are generally too dumb to find the food stockpile if you let them wander all over the map. The best solution is usually to let them wander if there's plenty of grass to eat and restrict them to a small area near their food if they can't graze.

Bodog999

What I do is place a stockpile zone in the barn so when they wake up they will eat

Mathenaut

One big issue is that there are no warnings or anything else when animals are low on food. Which sucks because it's entirely binary when a pregnancy fails because of it.

Zombra

Also, check to see if Iguana #4 got his jaw shot off at some point.   :(

firescythe

Kibble: It works best to restrict the animals to a zone which has Kibble storage _between_ sleeping places and the precious, not to be eaten by animals stocks, and set butchery to make kibble whenever it drops below X (X is to be high enough to endure a period of colonist sleeping hours, should it happen to kick in. Still hauler animals WILL eat anything fitting for them when the hunger strucks them and let to roam free.

Zombra

I put a priority kibble storage zone (1 square) in the kitchen, next to the stove - then I made an animal zone called "Feeding" including that same square and the one next to it.  If any animal is starving I switch his permission mode to "Feeding" and he goes and eats like a good little yorkie.