An easy way to tell trained animals not to get involved in combat

Started by Jorlem, April 29, 2016, 07:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorlem

Currently, if a trained animal has a master (which are set automatically), they always go to their side when that colonist is drafted. I would like to request a check mark button on the list of animals, or something similar, to be able to quickly deactivate that behavior for animals.  It is incredibly tedious to go through and set each animal to "none" before combat, then reset them to their bonded masters afterward.

With the new Bonded Master/Pet relationship, and the massive mood penalty if one of them dies, it has become very counterproductive to bring animals into combat, and I would like an easy and fast way to deactivate that behavior.

A check/X mark toggle would allow for easy control over who is brought into combat, so if I train a bunch of rhinos, I can ensure they'll come along, while all my hauling dogs stay safely behind.

Bodog999

I do agree what you say, instead of having the animals automatically come towards you the second your colonist gets drafted is annoying especially when you have a group of colonists who have multiple bonded animals which run around and get in front of your shots, or when you try to clear out a hive but they just end up getting shot at.

Jorlem

Quote from: Bodog999 on April 29, 2016, 08:24:25 PMwhen you try to clear out a hive but they just end up getting shot at.
Yeah, that's what prompted this suggestion, actually.  I dealt with the bugs without too much difficulty, the dogs dying to friendly fire did more damage than the infestation, by making several of my colonists go berserk.

Vaporisor

It is a problem I have.  Usually I assign my animals to a non or evasive combatant such as a non violent or primary doctor.  With bonded, I noticed you only get the penalty if they are assigned to somebody else.  If an animal bonds to a combatant, I leave them unassigned.

It is the only way I found that works, having your animal handler separate from line soldiers.

If I was to tweak the mechanics, I would remove the animal wander once drafted.  They are trained so if an animal is ordered to somebody, the animal should heel.  If you give the move command, the animal sits obediently in base contact or as close as possible  When you move, use the rotate buttons to rotate where the animal is relative.  Multiple animals are in a group in base contact.  This is vital to keep them from annoyingly propping doors open and getting shot, etc.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Mathenaut

You need to unassign animals, or assign them to someone not charging into combat.

Jorlem

Quote from: Mathenaut on April 30, 2016, 05:36:38 PM
You need to unassign animals, or assign them to someone not charging into combat.
To quote my OP:

Quote from: Jorlem on April 29, 2016, 07:25:58 PM
It is incredibly tedious to go through and set each animal to "none" before combat, then reset them to their bonded masters afterward.
When I get going, I often have a small army of dogs I've trained to haul.  I'm asking for a way that is more streamlined, as going through the dropdowns for each animal every time combat starts and stops gets very old very fast.  Being able to click and drag to set this behavior, like with allowed areas, would be far nicer.

harpyeagle

Or simply a third option available from the "release" toggle button that causes the animal to keep behind their master (i.e. put their master between themselves and any hostiles) thus out of the way of gunfire.

This would be more useful as then you can quickly toggle to a different mode at an opportune moment or as the need arises.

Mathenaut

If you have all of your dogs assigned to a caretaker, then just don't draft the caretaker into combat? Have them herd the animals to shelter?

Jorlem

Quote from: Mathenaut on May 01, 2016, 04:31:24 AM
If you have all of your dogs assigned to a caretaker, then just don't draft the caretaker into combat? Have them herd the animals to shelter?
Because I assign my animals to whoever they are bonded with, not to a single caretaker.  It is a mood swing of seven, IIRC, -3 for not being a bonded animal's master to +4 to being its master.

keylocke

i also want to have option to toggle pets into combatant or non-combatant or non-hunter. (ie : they won't follow master if drafted, but can still tag along when hunting, or a pet would be completely docile or any combination of the three toggle-able options)

but i think the reason why devs decided not to have those options is coz they wanna see the drama of how people react to how their pets die. hahaha..