I know how to minimize Zzzzt.

Started by b0rsuk, April 29, 2016, 07:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

My current colony is about to build its multi-analyzer because it has pretty much everything else by now. I noticed I got very few Zzzzt events and exploding batteries/circuits.

My colony is powered solely by 4 fueled generators. The heat generated is a very nice side effect. This means 4000W, but in two circruits (one for colony, second for my 1 sunlamp growing zone). Sunlamp needs 1600 + 100W heater, so I install an empty battery to slowly charge and then move it to warehouse. I have 5+ firefoam poppers around my base, in power rooms, dining room, food, rec room, and I didn't have an opportunity to try them.

Moral of the story: if you have small power consumption, you get fewer Zzzzzt events and exploding ciruits.

Limdood

Zzzt is triggered by ANY battery on your map being installed and having over 50% charge.  If those conditions are met, then when a Zzzt event would occur, THAT battery, and any other battery on the same power grid will be drained and an explosion will happen in a power cord connected to that grid.

It IS possible to have full batteries on your map installed and not risk a Zzzt, they just can't have any wires attached.  So 6 batteries connected DIRECTLY to a switch, then wires, will allow you to switch the switch off, and those batteries can now no longer explode or be drained by Zzzt.

So...solutions to prevent Zzzt from ever happening:
1)never have more than 50% charge in a battery
2)have no wires connected to batteries over 50% (i guess theoretically you could have batteries strung together throughout the base to make a powergrid, but you'd have to cut them thru walls and you'd have a bunch of breakdowns)

Bairne

Since you have a constant power source with furnaces, why bother with batteries at all if you're going to rely on it alone? Not like there's a down time to save up for like with solar or wind.

b0rsuk

Ah. But I keep 3 charged batteries in my warehouse. 1 battery lasts quite a while in my base, and the remote sunlamp circuit has a second connected battery, collecting surplus power. I only connect more than one battery in my base when I expect a prolonged attack.

So another trick - uninstalled batteries don't explode even if at 100%.

Coenmcj

I Imagine they do not break down either.

The batteries as conduits tactic is... questionable at best... but could probably work.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Lys

Quote from: Limdood on April 29, 2016, 09:45:36 PM
So...solutions to prevent Zzzt from ever happening:
1)never have more than 50% charge in a battery
Wait, so are you saying I should simply build so many batteries together that they will never reach more than 50% from my generators? That's a pretty simple and effective solution to get rid of Zzzt's. Just not for the beginning where steel/components are scarce, but after that is taken care of...

hector212121

What about using skully power 1x1 solar generators as wires? I've done that, more to maximize power grid than anything else, but still...

Vaporisor

The size of the bzzzt explosion is also dictated by how much power is on the circuit.  I just make it so it is nothing more than an annoyance.  I split up into multiple powergrids with jumper switches.  Should something bzzzt, I flick a switch, room maintains power and one bit of repair is all back to normal.

Sometimes you just gotta deal with it, especially on the extreme biomes.  Or can do the heavy micromanagement, but that gets tedious after a while I found.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Mathenaut

You should just have a few battery rooms (like an isolated room with 2-3 batteries) connected to the grid by a switch. When they are full, disconnect.

Don't use batteries until you actually have to use them, and maybe install a popper in each room. That should mostly eliminate the issue.

Vaporisor

My issue usually is depending on the map, am on a constant day on, night off cycle for electricity.  I would keep sunlamps isolated from the whole system, but the flickery powering off/on zzt sound gets to me ^.^  I guess if I had a large enough power bank, I could do the cycle without it being too tedious.  That is a fair investment of steel and components though.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

firescythe

It is strange to hear this. I play vanilla A13, have 2 windgens, 1 solar gen, those attached to 3 batteries placed in meat freezer, and distributed to stuffs from there. Only had Zzzt with unroofed electric objects during raining. Had also all workshops and crematorium, but switched off when not used. That also seemed to prevent Zzzt's.

(History of power sources: sun, batt, wind, batt, wind, batt, geotherm)