[M|0.1.334] mining stone causing a collapse causes stone to re-appear [mantis]

Started by sparr, February 07, 2014, 07:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparr

In the attached save game, if you send a colonist to mine the three isolated tiles of rock west of the base entrance then there will be a collapse and those three tiles will magically re-fill with rock. Also, the colonist doing the mining may have their corpse obliterated by the magical rock.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Bobthefarmer1

It's probably because there is a thick roof above it, roofs fall down when their support (within 7 blocks) is taken away, I have not tried your save file so I do not know, but this may be useful.

Jones-250

Yup, everything seems normal. After all, the roof or the piles rock above it, which made of the same stuff as the walls, does come down on you. You should check what you are mining by hovering your mouse over the blocks you plan to mine. The game should describe in the bottom left corner if there´s a rock above it.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Semmy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

sparr

No modding.

I do understand that mining out rock roofs will result in cave-ins. It just seems odd that in this case the cave-in is always in the exact same spot. And that it obliterates items/corpses. (And that my colonists aren't smart enough to not stand in that spot)

Semmy

Edmund Burke

Semmy

Edmund Burke

sparr

Tynan closed the Mantis bug saying it's intended. I understand that thick roofs cause cave ins, but I am unclear on why it's always those specific three tiles.

ItchyFlea

The remaining tiles are not collapsing because they are being supported by the wall of rock below those tiles. Thick roofs follow the same support rules as metal roofs, which is believe is 6 tiles.  :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

timegrinder

Through testing I've found this can go on for quite a while, it's just the roof collapsing repeatedly.

(At one stage I kept setting up explosive charges to destroy it in order to see how 'tall' they were without risking my colonists, then moved on to arming a colonist with frag grenades and targetting the area in question).

Is there a fixed number range to the z axis of mountains? From memory I'd been doing it for a long time and eventually got bored and gave up.

enystrom8734

Everyone is correct this is a feature. The rock is collapsing where it is no longer supported. The thick roof is infinite and will never stop collapsing.

Locked as Resolved (Not an Issue)
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734