Cassie is worse than Randy.

Started by Thane, April 30, 2016, 12:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaporisor

Quote from: hector212121 on April 30, 2016, 01:33:54 PM
Does the medication even matter for diseases?

Anyway, that's why I like the mods that add bionic organs. Glittertech kidneys and you practically don't need any medical treatment.

Also, Vaporisor, you can build in such a way that 1.you can't see your turrets from out of range, and 2.anywhere you can take cover, there's a big old Deadfall.

I remember a literal killbox I made once. I specifically built a building to deconstruct it and place a single wooden wall in the center to hold up a good chunk of roof. The plan was to collapse it.

...It didn't actually WORK, but still.

I think medication does matter for diseases.  Sterility and condition of treatment all "seem" to affect the rate of immunity gain, but would need a modder or programmer to confirm how that works.

Also, roof collapse traps can work, I had one that was a bit of fun :D

I had an entry through overhead mountains.  It passed through a big room full of rubble.  To either side was pillboxes of sorts where my guys would shoot.  Raiders would take cover in hallway by rubble.

My guys knocked out a few wood wall a few squares away resulting in the mountain falling right on that central hallway :3  I deleted that world, maybe I should rebuild it as a how to ^.^
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Thane

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 30, 2016, 01:32:40 PM
Can someone please specify why would Cassandra be harder ? The things OP mentions happen on Randy too, for example Poppy got Sensory Mechanites AND Fibrous Mechanites, and at one point had Plague or Flu as the third disease. 2-3 people in my 8 person colony are sick at all times.

Cassie works more on a gradual increase in challenge. Because of this she will constantly ramp up and as you get into the late game threats will more and more tend to be major ones.

Randy is, well, Randy. He can be evil and devious, or he can do nothing for a season and a half, or just send in a few mad squirrels.

Cassie will send a major threat every 2-4 days no ifs ands, or buts. It's more of an attrition thing than anything. Cassie will consistently try to break you the best she can later in the game, while Randy may not care about you at all. Then shower you with 'love' all in the span of three days.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Mathenaut

There is a PSA about meds and diseases. Use healroot.

As for the storytellers.. yeah. Randy beats Cassie by a mile in lategame. Cassie's late-game event que is just more and more headache until you leave the planet.

Thane

Had 300 healroot in stock when this last hump came about. I was in the jungle so Meds were an absolute necessity. Had two 9x9s planted with the stuff.

On the bight sideColony is back to chipper. The thing is I am going turretless which made the mid game absolutely infuriating with Cassie. I have successfully mitigated my wealth to colonist ratio and have plasteel doors instead of steel on the perimeter now. Might switch to Randy as I move from the early and mid game to the late game.

It looks like the bunker will be around for a while longer.

(Note:the perimeter has 40 doors and lots of areas for cross fire. That plus regularly burning the perimeter makes for a pretty good defense)
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

keylocke

Quote from: makapse on April 30, 2016, 01:00:01 AM
that is the core problem of this game though, seeing turrets as bad but requiring them to survive for long. Never played on cassie after my first time learning cause randy is god of creating havoc yet still giving a chance to live forever

this is actually a valid point.

i've played both turretless playthrus and killbox playthrus.. but killbox still definitely comes out on top for longevity.

the thing with players using killboxes is that, they are NOT restricted to only use killboxes.

they can apply the same strategies/tactics of turretless players like heading out and ambushing the enemy, using shield bait tactics, etc.. to lower the enemy count and then retreat to a killbox if the threat is too large to handle.

a killbox is just another tool in their arsenal.

---------------

meanwhile the devs seem to be trying to pull people away from using turrets, but the recruitment difficulty + permanent injuries + surgery failure + increasing enemy numbers combo eventually takes its toll against turretless gameplay.

i think the only way a turretless playthru will have a prolonged run is if the player chose extreme biomes like very cold ice sheets or very hot extreme deserts.

edit :

case in point :

map is temperate forest. average temp is a cozy 21c. randy challenge. but to spice things up i spawned 3000pt raids one after another for like 6 times through the debug mode.

outcome?

i only lost 5 turrets. 4 of which are part of my exploding turret traps so their destruction was inevitable. there were zero casualties or injuries to my pawns throughout the rapid 6 sequence of raids. i could've continued with the experiment but my troops wanted to have a party.. so i was like yea dudes, go and chill.

anyways, the point is that a killbox-less colony would've taken massive injuries having to deal with all of that.. it's doable, but those injuries will eventually take it's toll.

linkfanpc

I once got malaria in winter. Guess Ludeon don't know you get malaria from female mosquitos.  :P
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude.
\o
|\
/ \

Thane

O.o That kill box is half the size of my base....

Excuse me I must build some redoubts... How exactly would I post a picture btw? Never could figure that out on this thing.

Mathenaut

There isn't really alot of recourse when it comes to defense in extreme-late game with Cassie. Even if you keep your wealth low, the raids will eventually overwhelm you.

You don't play long games with Cassie. She isn't there to moderate your colony forever, she's there to push you off the planet.

b0rsuk

Quote from: keylocke on April 30, 2016, 11:24:40 PM
the thing with players using killboxes is that, they are NOT restricted to only use killboxes.

they can apply the same strategies/tactics of turretless players like heading out and ambushing the enemy, using shield bait tactics, etc.. to lower the enemy count and then retreat to a killbox if the threat is too large to handle.
That's not completely true.
Turrets use lots of components. Crafting equipment takes lots of components. Before mid-late game, that is until you have surplus money and trade ships arriving, you don't have very many components. Until mid-late game, turrets and equipment compete for the same scarce resource.

For similar reason, if Tynan ever adds a second winning condition, it should be something  that doesn't use plasteel. For example to get the permanent colony win you would have to survive 7 years. Then you get a choice - use plasteel for the ship and win earlier, or use plasteel for turrets, power armor and charge rifles but then there's no quick way out for you.

Another winning condition could be conquering a local Mechanoid hive, X-COM style.

zandadoum

Cassandra difficulty grows constantly. and it never goes easier.
and ofc this is calculated my many things, including colony wealth.

so... kill a Thrumbo early on, have it's horn and fur lying around or sell it for a load of silver... and your difficulty will get a huge spike right away and won't go down again (just an example)

keylocke

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 01, 2016, 05:00:18 AM
Quote from: keylocke on April 30, 2016, 11:24:40 PM

That's not completely true.
Turrets use lots of components. Crafting equipment takes lots of components. Before mid-late game, that is until you have surplus money and trade ships arriving, you don't have very many components. Until mid-late game, turrets and equipment compete for the same scarce resource.

For similar reason, if Tynan ever adds a second winning condition, it should be something  that doesn't use plasteel. For example to get the permanent colony win you would have to survive 7 years. Then you get a choice - use plasteel for the ship and win earlier, or use plasteel for turrets, power armor and charge rifles but then there's no quick way out for you.

Another winning condition could be conquering a local Mechanoid hive, X-COM style.

who says you need to craft your own guns? most of my guns are scavenged from raids, meanwhile the rest of the useless guns are smelted.. that's how i get a crapload of steel even on a flat map.

same thing with plasteel which i usually smelt from melee weapons (i keep a tribal faction hostile) and from disassembling mechanoids..

so a killbox is practically a steel + plasteel factory.  ;D

you usually get more steel + plasteel than the amount of turrets you lose. (depends on your killbox design)

Klitri

I think the problem lies within the player's dislike for their favourite colonists having injuries and such, scaring players off to killboxes and such to protect them. I'm one of the cheatiest people I know when it comes to these kinds of games, but I've been forcing myself to just go with what happens, and it's quite fun.

I think if you want people to be good fighters, research the guns and armor and then craft them for an army. It'll take maybe a little over a year to get a full army going, and that combined with turret defenses and walls can easily protect any colony for a while. Just remember to keep growing the population and focus on their skills, so that you'll always have a wave of fighters on the fly.

cultist

Quote from: linkfanpc on May 01, 2016, 12:04:23 AM
I once got malaria in winter. Guess Ludeon don't know you get malaria from female mosquitos.  :P

Space malaria. Any time things don't make coherent sense, put "space" in front of the issue. Solves everything.  8)

hector212121

Quote from: cultist on May 04, 2016, 09:29:26 AM
Quote from: linkfanpc on May 01, 2016, 12:04:23 AM

Space malaria. Any time things don't make coherent sense, put "space" in front of the issue. Solves everything.  8)

"AAAH, MY SPACE ARMOR!" "We get it, you're from space"

Grizzlyadamz

Quote from: Thane on May 01, 2016, 01:05:26 AM
How exactly would I post a picture btw? Never could figure that out on this thing.
First step is to take the picture & upload it to a hosting site.
Then ya click the little picture icon in the top left, below the ['B']old button.
You should now have something like this:
[img][/img]
From there, copy & paste the url of your image to the space between the two end-brackets, like so:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/FM4j8TQ.png[/img]
And then, if you want to be extra-considerate, type in 'width= (less than 1600)' right after the img, for example:
[img width=800]http://i.imgur.com/FM4j8TQ.png[/img]

The finished result: