More natural obstructions

Started by Goldenpotatoes, April 30, 2016, 09:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenpotatoes

We have things like lakes and mountains to help prevent/hinder movement across the map, which is nice as it allows the player to build more strategically when it comes to base placement and fortification. There could be more obstructions, though.

Things like ravines, cliffsides, extremely thick deposits of bedrock preventing easy mining through, ect. All these would offer more interesting work-arounds when it comes to planning colonies and general gameplay.

Ravine: A huge crack or other wide opening that prevents movement across, could potentially block off entire areas of a map depending on placement. Can research into building proper bridges to cross the ravine instead of going around. Main risks come from the potential of the bridge collapsing while a pawn is mid-walk on it, essentially deleting the colonist (roof/cave collapses can already do this if you're unlucky enough).

Large Lakes: Large bodies of deep water that can cover large sections of the map, similar to what already exists but much, much bigger. Would be great for things like fishing (why don't we already have this?)

Rivers: Long, winding water sources that can fork off at spots and even potentially cut through the entire map. Tends to branch off from lakes but can exist on its own (from 1 side of the map to another). Usually only goes to shallow water but can rarely have deep spots in it.

Cliffsides (only available on higher elevations): Similar to ravines, cliffsides are essentially drop-off points where visually, would lead to a lower level of the map. Since z-levels will probably never be a thing, if you somehow manage to get a pawn off this ledge, they're pretty much gone forever (concussion blasts throwing back pawns when?)

Bedrock Deposits (only available on lower elevations near on mountain maps: Extremely thick layers of super-compressed sediment that have the literal weight of a mountain on it, making it extremely difficult/impossible to break through. Helps counter against mountain bases that insist going super deep into the mountain for protection, but still allows to build inside the mountain. If you somehow manage to work this into a base, you have a VERY strong wall to help protect with.

b0rsuk

I agree. For me the most fun biomes are those with constrained terrain, where I have to plan around and make best use of what's available. The many marshes in boreal forest and the jungle, sand in the desert.

I get an impression underground is one huge construction zone. When you mine under mountains, you can make ANY base layout you imagine. For me that's a bit boring. No, granite is an order of magnitude too soft to act as a real obstacle. Underground marshes and lakes are much too rare to mention.

I would be happy to see big patches of Uselessium, extremely tough or downright unbreakable tiles which are not good for anything.  An underground obstacle, that's all. Looking a your suggestions, that would be 'bedrock deposits'. My knowledge of geology and mountains is limited.