Camouflage

Started by Galileus, February 07, 2014, 09:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galileus

Sweet and right to the point - allow camouflage to be build "upon walls and doorways". This simple trick would remove AI targeting algorithm from "seeing" walls and doors, instead treating them as natural walls of mountains. Effectiveness would depend on type of camouflaged building - a few squares mountainside entrance can get pretty much 100% hiding, while bunker build out of nowhere in the middle of nothing would be easy to see through. Basically, the more "original walls" surrounding the camo and less camouflaged walls actually there, the more chance raiders will ignore it.

This would allow for some amazing tactical plays - like making outposts to flank raiders through secret tunnels. And this in turn means much more use for short range weapons - as you can more or less reliably make some emplacements, where they will come into play.

Evul

Sounds cool!
or camonet that hide colonist until they fire :)

Galileus

That sounds like a high risk high reward play :)

I would say a colonist in ghillie would be unable to get cover after shooting, just to balance it out. Still, a careful planning of camouflaged outpost, colonists hidden in ghillie and a bait could lead to awesome ambush plays. Going away from boring turret defense and not really implementing any advanced combat system functions are just a cherry on the top :D

Jones-250

I love it. Sniper nests picking off raiders, who panic while being somewhat unaware where the fire is coming from. Then after having spent the advantage of surprise, the breakoff, evading their pursuit and relocating to the next layer of defence.
However...
As I´ve stated before, the colonists are quite sloppy troopers, so they do lose quite a bit of morale while out in the field... Oh well, you can´t have it all.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Thunder Rahja

What's this perfectly square mountain in the middle of nowhere doing here!?

Galileus

Don't worry, it's a perfectly peaceful mountain, it just enjoys long, enthusiastic walks under the moonlight. Also, gunshots.

Jones-250

Quote from: Galileus on February 08, 2014, 07:04:58 AM
Don't worry, it's a perfectly peaceful mountain, it just enjoys long, enthusiastic walks under the moonlight. Also, gunshots.
Ain´t nobody here but us chickens. Bang!
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

ApexPredator

Quote from: Thunder1 on February 08, 2014, 06:44:46 AM
What's this perfectly square mountain in the middle of nowhere doing here!?

"You can do anything you want, and it's always going to look nice. 'Cause you did it, and you're wonderful, and you have to believe that." - Bob Ross

Coenmcj

Sounds good, provided that it's not too overpowered, we don't want camouflaged blasting charges. ;)

On that note, perhaps making every player buildable thing visible to the raider pathfinding algorithm and then making the camonets usable on blasting charges, paying extra to hide your little minefield, While animal and critters will be able to discern your buildings from the landscape as they don't just rely on sight. it would be an interesting mechanic and allow for a larger use of tactical manoeuvres.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Galileus on February 07, 2014, 09:31:22 PM
That sounds like a high risk high reward play :)

I would say a colonist in ghillie would be unable to get cover after shooting, just to balance it out. Still, a careful planning of camouflaged outpost, colonists hidden in ghillie and a bait could lead to awesome ambush plays. Going away from boring turret defense and not really implementing any advanced combat system functions are just a cherry on the top :D
I agree
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

TimMartland

But then you could just wall yourself into your Hydro-powered underground lair and snigger as confused raiders wander around outside.

'I swear it was over here..'
'Geoff, your holding the map wrong. Give it here!'
'No, its mine! Its your fault the GPS broke!'
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Galileus

Hard cap on % of player-build squares that can be successfully hidden. If you camouflage all of them, raiders are guaranteed to see some of them right away.

colonistPally

Quote from: TimMartland on February 10, 2014, 03:11:49 PM
But then you could just wall yourself into your Hydro-powered underground lair and snigger as confused raiders wander around outside.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If you were going to ambush a position you'd just dig into the ground like a foxhole or you'd dig trenches. But then there all kinds of funky implications. They could toss in grenades (which would be instant death if you couldn't get away) and molotovs (instant immolation).

If there are ever enemy bases (either ai or pvp) then there has to be a viable way to siege them that's balanced. Like if there was camo netting then a molotov might have to catch it on fire... along with the aformentioned damage that's done when you're hunkered down.

Then you factor in the whole awareness thing. If someone marches on you with higher awareness they might see you. Or if the people you have in your camo spot have low attention span they might not want to sit in there and wait...

There are definitely a lot of implications but it's a super cool idea overall. I'm just overwhelmed by how interesting and dynamic it would be (in a good way).