Does anyone else feel weird about having 15 types of stone?

Started by Zombra, April 30, 2016, 08:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombra

I've been breaking down all the stone lying around into nice, easy-to-construct-with bricks, and I seem to have piles of construction-ready stone all over the place, but putting up even one stone building is a pain in the ass.  I try to build a sandstone wall ... and run out of sandstone 25% of the way in.  So I cancel the rest of that construction and redo the rest as granite.  Guess what, only enough granite to get another 30% of the way done.  How about limestone then?  Slate?  Marble?  Am I a bad person for wishing that there was just "Stone"?  Should I be waiting until I have thousands of all kinds before trying to build something from a single type?

Kelvas

I agree that there are too many types, but only one would feel too shallow. Maybe 2 low-grade stones, 2 mid-grade stones, and 2 high-grade stone types? Significantly fewer varieties, but still preserves the depth of multiple stone types. Thoughts?

Robovski

I like having the different stone types as they have different attributes and looks, and generally a map only has really 2-3 native stone types. Yeah,  the ruins may introduce other stone not native to the map but then you use that stuff in with the rest or for jobs good for the quantity (like a sarcophagus or a shelf) or just sell the blocks from the walls you brought down for some fast cash.

cultist

Huh?

There are 5 stone types, but each map has a maximum of 3 represented. Not sure where you are getting 15 from. If you have more than 3 types available, you bought the bricks from a trader or deconstructed a random wall on the map.

pdxsean

Quote from: Zombra on April 30, 2016, 08:47:14 PM
I've been breaking down all the stone lying around into nice, easy-to-construct-with bricks, and I seem to have piles of construction-ready stone all over the place, but putting up even one stone building is a pain in the ass.

You can specify which type of chunk to break down at the stone table. If you feel there's too much of a variety, just instruct your masons to focus on the one type of chunk you prefer.

Personally, I'd love it if there were 15 types of stone instead of the 5 that currently exist. Having walls made of patches of different stone is a good reflection of the struggling economy of my early game. Only later in the game when I am feeling invincible do I have enough resources to focus on making walls a consistent stone type. The patchwork of different materials from early in the colony days - or repairs along the way - provides a good bit of flavor imo.

Zombra

Quote from: cultist on April 30, 2016, 09:21:12 PMThere are 5 stone types, but each map has a maximum of 3 represented. Not sure where you are getting 15 from.

Hyperbole for effect :)

Quote from: pdxsean on April 30, 2016, 09:48:53 PMYou can specify which type of chunk to break down at the stone table.

This is valuable information; thanks.

And thank you all for your comments.  Still learning how the game works and this seemed weird to me, but it makes a bit more sense now.

Too-DAMN-Much

i think you might be overestimating the need to conserve steel, it's plentiful, i've had colonies last years and not run out.

it's also a good building material.

keylocke

i usually just choose a map with only granite and marble stones.

i only craft granite for building walls, marble is reserved for statues.

Zombra

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on April 30, 2016, 10:48:34 PMi think you might be overestimating the need to conserve steel, it's plentiful, i've had colonies last years and not run out.
Not me.  I've had a few colonies seriously scranking for steel already.  Of course I'm still learning the game.

PotatoeTater

Quote from: keylocke on April 30, 2016, 11:04:10 PM

I uses marble for walls and slate for floors, I always go for the maps that have my two favorite types alone lol.
Life is Strange

Negocromn

Steel in A13 is definitely not plentiful lol. I don't know what game t-d-m is playing.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Negocromn on April 30, 2016, 11:57:29 PM
Steel in A13 is definitely not plentiful lol. I don't know what game t-d-m is playing.

you can't be serious? it depends on the biome anyway, mountains should have a lot more chances for ore to spawn due to more rock, i'm playing a rainforest and it'll be a LONG time before steel is a concern.

Negocromn

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on May 01, 2016, 12:08:41 AM
Quote from: Negocromn on April 30, 2016, 11:57:29 PM

you can't be serious? it depends on the biome anyway, mountains should have a lot more chances for ore to spawn due to more rock, i'm playing a rainforest and it'll be a LONG time before steel is a concern.

By mid of year 3 of my last colony I was essentially out of steel, had like ~1200 and nothing left to mine. Everything that could be built out of stone and wood was built out of stone and wood, I didn't use turrets and I didn't craft anything with steel either. I never got to build the component bench because it wouldn't be worth it. Never even considered crafting weapons or power armor as well. Granted it was a flat map, but I'm pretty sure mountains don't have multiple times more steel.

keylocke

Quote from: PotatoeTater on April 30, 2016, 11:56:01 PM
Quote from: keylocke on April 30, 2016, 11:04:10 PM

I uses marble for walls and slate for floors, I always go for the maps that have my two favorite types alone lol.

i thought marble walls have low HP? but i guess it's ok if you have double layers and use marble for the inner layers.

iirc, granite have the highest HP for walls.

----

as for steel. i just smelt plenty of raider guns and weapons. most of it are crap anyways.

Andy_Dandy

I love the different stone type, and their different strenghts. I'm trying to build every single wall in granite and it takes planning, as it should. Double walls in defensive areas and arround geothermals. Only stone would severly make the game less interesting for me.

Other stone types are used basically for flooring and artworks, and perhaps some furniture if I'm out of wood. I usually buy those stone types my map lacks from traders. You can make some interesting looking floors by combining the different coloured stones.