Better reactions to colonist social fights

Started by harpyeagle, April 30, 2016, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpyeagle

The idea here is that if a social fight breaks out between two colonists, anyone nearby who is friendly with both of those involved will react in some way. Maybe they will try to break up the fight, or something else I dunno.

It's really jarring how other colonists can just walk past two colonist intent on beating each other up like nothing is happening. Also, allowing other people to intervene will mean that social fights will be less likely to cause serious injuries except under certain conditions, which I think is a plus. Basically unless one or both of the people involved are not really friendly with anyone else, or the fight breaks out in an isolated corner of the settlement, or everyone in the colony is already in a terrible mood or something along those lines.

SuperCaffeineDude

I think for every angry pawn there should be a " Defuse the Situation" option for that relies on social skill and relationship. Maybe to apply to the Daze , Rage and Social Fight automatically. Rather than having to literally shoot an angry colonist

Luroshard

Quote from: harpyeagle on April 30, 2016, 10:48:19 PM
Maybe they will try to break up the fight, or something else I dunno.
It's really jarring how other colonists can just walk past two colonist intent on beating each other up like nothing is happening.
On my colony of 10 years, a fight broke out between the queen and a new recruit. I was on the edge of my seat with all of my colonists drafted, ARREST HIM, ARREST HIM STOP HIM NOW.
The king and his people watched his wife in a fistfight with a lowly recruit.

In a real life situation, someone puts their hand on my loved one I'm going to diffuse the situation, and damn right I'm going to expect my close friends to help me diffuse it.

Aarkreinsil

With dazed people it's equally annoying. They just waltz out into the -80°C wilderness and take off their clothes, but if you arrest them to save their ass from freezing to death, they get a -15 "Have been imprisoned" mood hit for several weeks.

So arresting them is usually not worth it. There's a high probability that they'll just end up having a mental break.

skullywag

its also funny for one to deck the other and then pick him up take him to his bed and treat his injuries, which happens a lot.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

SuperCaffeineDude

Yeah, I have a sex slave who, despite not being able to hurt a fly on command, went into so many fits of anger over having an ugly room she lost both her eyes through the attrition of her berserk rages.

For me there needs to be a difference between sulking and losing your shit, if I'm upset, I remove myself from the situation, similar to how a colonist seeks a safer temperature. And if someone, say my co-workers, are arguing I look to diffuse the situation through talk.

The social fights are jarring in that they're a very isolated occurrences, so at the least it would be nice to accumulate bystanders, and at best people to disrupt or aid a fight. I kind of think that an argument should start as social ("Alert: Colonists are arguing") and then there is a like 50% chance -pawnRelationship - socialSkill that it ends in a melee fight after Time - mood. So you have a varying timeframe with which to resolve the fight before it possibly becomes violent by diffusing the situation through a social stat.

Britnoth

Can we please just have social fights entirely removed?

We already have the mechanism for colonists getting angry and going berzerk. We can control that to some extent by attempting to improve their mood.

I just played a game where i had 2 social fights total. Both time it was with people that barely disliked each other (-10 view of each other). Both times it resulted in eye scars. Both times they end up disfigured so people dislike them more. Both times a potentially good shot or good doctor is pretty much useless to me.

They could have 100 mood and be walking around as happy as anything, but still pick RNG fights with someone. The only way to try to stop this is to never allow your colonists to talk to each other.

Kinda defeats the entire point of this update, doesn't it?  ::)

Quotedespite not being able to hurt a fly on command, went into so many fits of anger over having an ugly room

You could always give her a better room, or do something else to try to improve mood. Social fights are _only_ RNG.

rexx1888

ive seen a pacifist beat a knife wielding badass TO DEATH O.o he legit just kept hitting him after hed collapsed... dunno if it was a bug but damned if it wasnt shocking.

The problem is now everyone gets into fights an literally no one tries to stop them :\ an why dont we have other social "occurences". It would be hilarious to me to see random pawns drop tools an start hooking up in the shed. Or for two pawns to just drop work an have a deep convo that actually has them drop work. or hell, for two pawns to just go for a walk together. basically MOAR INTERACTIONS PLEASEEEEE THEY RAD!!!!

SuperCaffeineDude

I don't think social fights should be removed but as I suggested it'd be great to tie them to better parameters. Specifically that takes into account the standing relationship, mood, and social skill of the pawns.

But equally so the rages and dazes need to be better simulated, I shouldn't have to treat colonists like royalty, when set on idle the pawns should  regulate themselves to an extent, "working in this room is stressing me out so I'm going to stretch my legs", when they can't self regulate that's when they should go mental.

I do think a law and order update would be greatly welcome. Once again with some policing roles/actions to step in to restrain or talk-down others without inflicting permanent injuries.

hector212121

I would like to point out that you can just draft and undraft the daft bastards. Then they don't fight. Temporary solution, but still.

rexx1888

ive tried that, i definitely cannot do that... are you sure you can?

hector212121

...I did it before they reached each other once? IDK.