[WIP] Project Armory

Started by Evul, May 01, 2016, 03:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plymouth

Quote from: Zorathex on June 02, 2016, 11:32:55 AM
Are you still working on this? And wouldn't it be easier to create a program designed to batch modify the files to A13?

By making a program to do it, you would then only need to update the program for each new version of Rimworld.
I have been taking a break for the last 2 weeks since I have very important exam coming up in the next 2 weeks and am actively preparing for it at the moment. No, it would not be easier since we have updated the formulas for all the weapons to match physical properties which influence range, accuracy and damage of a real weapon so that we have more variation and less adjustment values. At this point it would be easier to write a program that would self-calculate, which I have already done using basic table editor of AppacheOpenOffice software. The only thing that has to be done is to put in the numbers and create XMLs following those numbers, and I don't have time at the moment, but I'll get back to it after I'm done with my exam.

Zorathex

Quote from: Plymouth on June 06, 2016, 02:18:51 AM
Are you still working on this? And wouldn't it be easier to create a program designed to batch modify the files to A13?

By making a program to do it, you would then only need to update the program for each new version of Rimworld.
I have been taking a break for the last 2 weeks since I have very important exam coming up in the next 2 weeks and am actively preparing for it at the moment. No, it would not be easier since we have updated the formulas for all the weapons to match physical properties which influence range, accuracy and damage of a real weapon so that we have more variation and less adjustment values. At this point it would be easier to write a program that would self-calculate, which I have already done using basic table editor of AppacheOpenOffice software. The only thing that has to be done is to put in the numbers and create XMLs following those numbers, and I don't have time at the moment, but I'll get back to it after I'm done with my exam.

Okay I guess I'll wait till then, but in the meantime is there any thing you need help with, I have plenty of free time, I see this as an opportunity to learn some skills, I noticed the weapon textures are looking a little, well. flat, If you could send me the weapon textures, I'll add more detail to them for you, I'm also decent enough with making textures to know that there's a certain balance of detail and simplicity, I'll do everything free, as I'm basically just looking for something to do with all my free time, Just let me know what I can do.:)

Plymouth

Quote from: Zorathex on June 06, 2016, 06:13:20 PM

Okay I guess I'll wait till then, but in the meantime is there any thing you need help with, I have plenty of free time, I see this as an opportunity to learn some skills, I noticed the weapon textures are looking a little, well. flat, If you could send me the weapon textures, I'll add more detail to them for you, I'm also decent enough with making textures to know that there's a certain balance of detail and simplicity, I'll do everything free, as I'm basically just looking for something to do with all my free time, Just let me know what I can do.:)

weapon textures look a bit flat(in their lack of details) on purpose, since game down-scales them pretty severely and this way, with this amount of detail, they look best when they are in game since tiny pixel details do not make a mess out of a texture and keep it looking nice and clean. I still did add the shadows and everything to them, but with the amount of detail that the game offers to the player it really makes no difference IF you are doing an extremely detailed texture or simplified like mine, and if anything textures which are as simple as those that I've drawn really complement the style of the game while not looking messy as all hell. You can see plenty of examples of very detailed textures of weapons from neighbouring mods which look messy in game because resolution gets down-scaled so severely. With minimum amount of details in my opinion it looks best, since you can still see the details are there, but the texture does not turn into a mess because of down-scaling.  :D

Only when resolution of weapons and pawns and everything will be upped and we will be able to zoom in much more, only then increasing the amount of detail and resolution start making sense.

Zorathex

Quote from: Plymouth on June 07, 2016, 12:58:59 AM
Quote from: Zorathex on June 06, 2016, 06:13:20 PM

weapon textures look a bit flat(in their lack of details) on purpose, since game down-scales them pretty severely and this way, with this amount of detail, they look best when they are in game since tiny pixel details do not make a mess out of a texture and keep it looking nice and clean. I still did add the shadows and everything to them, but with the amount of detail that the game offers to the player it really makes no difference IF you are doing an extremely detailed texture or simplified like mine, and if anything textures which are as simple as those that I've drawn really complement the style of the game while not looking messy as all hell. You can see plenty of examples of very detailed textures of weapons from neighbouring mods which look messy in game because resolution gets down-scaled so severely. With minimum amount of details in my opinion it looks best, since you can still see the details are there, but the texture does not turn into a mess because of down-scaling.  :D

Only when resolution of weapons and pawns and everything will be upped and we will be able to zoom in much more, only then increasing the amount of detail and resolution start making sense.

Well that's slightly disappointing, is there anything else I can help with?

Plymouth

Quote from: Zorathex on June 07, 2016, 02:12:47 PM

Well that's slightly disappointing, is there anything else I can help with?

Of course! as you know, everyone has access to contribution to PA, and if you want to you can try adding weapons in forms of xmls and textures. If you know how to operate on github it should be pretty straightforward, if not, in either case, just make a fork of our PA 20th century, and you can start adding weapons from 20th century. We plan to publish PA by centuries now. There is a whole wiki on how to contribute and calculate and do everything on our github wiki page, if something's not clear, feel free to send me a PM.

I warn you though it's quite a bit of math since I really went out on a leg and made very physics-heavy ballistic calculations and how they impact weapons. But they're not difficult since the formulas are already there, they just take time to find info on and calculate.

Here you will find all the necessary formulas for calcualtion, but I just have to warn you although I have derived a formula for deterioration rate me and evul have agreed to not use it YET for it might make too much of an impact, since in vanilla everything has same deterioration rate. But everything else has to be calculated, not taken off the top of the head:

https://github.com/RimWorldProjectArmory/ProjectArmoryRearmed/wiki

Plymouth

https://github.com/RimWorldProjectArmory/ProjectArmoryRearmed

Barebones version of PA is ready, when I'll have free time I will add many more weapons and sort it out more properly, but as it stands, it is quite usable and playable.

Please post feedback on ingame feel of the weapon and how good the balance is!

Installation:
Copy the folder ProjectArmoury_20th into your Mods folder.

Plymouth

UPD: Fixed the SMG damage formula

All in all after personal playtesting I am ready to confirm that I am quite happy with the weapons' balance

Peaches

Will there be an update for Alpha 14?

ithikari

I too am interested in an update to Alpha 14. I wouldn't mind giving this a shot if it comes to 14.

H8ff0000

+1 for A14 :)

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I took a look at the About.xml, and it contains the following line:

<targetVersion>0.14.1234</targetVersion>

Does that mean this is working in A14?

Demetreo

Another one for A14!

I hope yes H8ff...I hope yes..
" The strength of your words hurt more than the shots from your gun. "

Demetreo

Btw, some ETA of launching date?

Plymouth

Quote from: Demetreo on August 17, 2016, 12:36:53 AM
Btw, some ETA of launching date?

Unfortunately nope, no ETA or launching date since artistic crisis comes unexpectedly and goes just as fast as inspiration flashes. Besides I have to get prepared for my uni, and that's what I'm doing atm and why I can't be arsed for a time. After I'm done preparing I'll probably be able to squeeze some time into it so It should probably be done by october(probably sooner because I can feel that I might get my inspiration back right about now) or somewhere by then, but don't quote me on that  :P

In short: brace thee and behold, for it shaleth cometh as sooneth as I have timeth  :D

Demetreo

I wish good luck for this project,

Have DETERMINATION!

Plymouth

Cheers, folks!

I really want to say sorry and huge thank you to everyone who's still waiting. I just want to explain why it's taking so long. You see, first and foremost excuse I have is real life. That's the main reason. Another big reason, is the sheer scope of the PA. And while we have the most difficult part of the mod done(squared away vanilla weapon stats calculation system), now comes the most laborious part of the mod- as in drawing all the textures for all the(mostly known, even if not very popular) weapons of the 20th century, calculating and writing XMLs.

Currently I am working through the textures for assault rifles and have been at it for a long time now since I have spent the majority of the time busy with real life.   

We plan to release this mod in thematic packs, first and foremost being the "core" one, the 20th century post-ww2 one(a.k.a. most generic weapons of the world, duh). After that we plan on releasing sizeable thematic packs on ww2, ww1, pre-ww1, 21st century, mass effect, w40k, and so on. The beauty is you will be able to pick what to install and what not to install, without any need for sorting tool, and also making the development of PA more focused at the same time.  :P

Have a good one!,

Plymouth