Is Nutrient Paste still viable for 'Soylent Green'?

Started by Zsword, May 01, 2016, 10:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zsword

I know at one point Nutrient Paste Dispensers could partially negate the various cannibalism penalties. While I know there's a penalty for butchering a human as is, sometimes emergencies happen and I was wondering if it was better to cook it, or if just, extracting the raw essence into goop my take some of the edge off of the minds of my more savory colonists?

Aarkreinsil

Nope, you get the full "Cooked cannibalism" thought ON TOP OF the "Ate nutrient paste" thought.

You're better off turning your soylent green into fine/lavish meals.

Vaporisor

It is disappointing.  I would like to see a no penalty for nutrient paste, but end of day, the colonists put it in the hopper so they know what goes into their meals...
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Zsword

Aw, I thought it was a kinda neat thing, especially since you still get the butchering debuff as is, and the 'soylent green' idea seemed to fit the theme.

Even if the people knew what was happening, I wouldn't be against the idea of it being closer to 'necessary recycling' as opposed to 'cannibalism.' Like the idea of just extracting the necessary nutrients is some sort of crude redeeming factor to the monstrosity they committed.

Thanks for the answer though! Back to lamenting that Prisoners don't automatically feed themselves from dispensers, but on the flip side, they do count as walls and transfer minimal heat, so you can have a dispenser pointing into a warm room fed from a cold one. \o\

Thanks again. ^^

Vaporisor

Quote from: Zsword on May 02, 2016, 01:45:56 AM
Aw, I thought it was a kinda neat thing, especially since you still get the butchering debuff as is, and the 'soylent green' idea seemed to fit the theme.

Even if the people knew what was happening, I wouldn't be against the idea of it being closer to 'necessary recycling' as opposed to 'cannibalism.' Like the idea of just extracting the necessary nutrients is some sort of crude redeeming factor to the monstrosity they committed.

Thanks for the answer though! Back to lamenting that Prisoners don't automatically feed themselves from dispensers, but on the flip side, they do count as walls and transfer minimal heat, so you can have a dispenser pointing into a warm room fed from a cold one. \o\

Thanks again. ^^

Actually, prisoners do automatically feed themselves if you turn off get fed from the prisoner tab for them.  They will go and grab from dispenser when hungry!  Attached is my current commons area and prison is in top left.  The food on floor is cause of health treatment.  When bedridden, they of course cannot get their own food, but once mobile, I always turn get meals off.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Zsword

Ah good! That's actually like, the exact set up I had in mind! with only the minor difference that I'm nice enough to give my prisoners a table!

Though that's because I'm a mass building pacifist casual that just wants to run a massive plantation base and be friends with everyone I meet and have far more animals than I have any right to. XP

Which also means keeping the freezer cooler pointing inside, to my greenhouse, because really. Free heat.

Aarkreinsil

To be fair, nutrient paste only needs 6 ingredients, whereas even a simple meal needs 10 (afaik).
So the amount of time and resources your save by using paste is actually pretty great.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Vaporisor on May 02, 2016, 01:56:29 AM
The food on floor is cause of health treatment.

Are you sure it's 'health' treatment ? The red rectangles in the fridge look suspiciously like organs harvested for sale.

cultist

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 02, 2016, 05:21:38 AM
Quote from: Vaporisor on May 02, 2016, 01:56:29 AM
The food on floor is cause of health treatment.

Are you sure it's 'health' treatment ? The red rectangles in the fridge look suspiciously like organs harvested for sale.

None of the prisoners have the red health bar that indicates they have an injury/missing part. So he didn't steal organs from these prisoners though I admit it all looks rather suspicious.

Vaporisor

What?  I swear those were all organs bought from legitimate sources from people with organ donor cards.  They all came to me.

I swear that I wasnt pulling lungs, kidneys, hearts and livers out of prisoners for sale!

It is personal use.  Every donor that didnt die due to complications was returned to their family.  For some reason though they didnt return my hospitality and instead attacked me later.  Dunno what a person minus a lung and kidney expects to accomplish...
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Zsword

that does remind me, with people actually CARING that it's uncouth to cut out and sell someones liver, and then sell them, I need to figure out a new way to make the silver I'll be eventually plating my entire fortress with...

So, what's the aproximate Hydro Table:Colonist ratio to keep a reasonable, stable amount of food?

... and can you grow Hay on Hydro? I oughta check that...