[REQUEST] WARZONES: Rimworld Edition

Started by lance789, May 01, 2016, 10:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lance789

**Im going to try my hand at modding rimworld once my classes have ended this week...**
I would love to see a mod that adds random skirmishes to the game space. The way i figure it, this mod could work in 2 ways:

(1) An event system is made that spawns in 2 or more hostile factions to attack each other (would work best if these factions were neutral to player pawns/colony), maybe one or more of the factions spawned this way have a chance of being hostile toward player pawns/colony.

(2) A storyteller is made specifically for these WARZONES events to happen frequently.

Both these versions can use the same events:

-- Random Battle:
This event will randomly spawn 2 or more groups of 2 or more factions who will then attack each other. This may work best if these factions mimic existing factions but are neutral to the player's colony. This event should spawn groups with about the same number of pawns (lets say +40 per faction spawned for this event).

-- WARZONE:
Similar to the Random Battle event, however WARZONE event is continuous for some time, maybe over up to 2 days. Also, instead of spawning large or massive groups of 2 or more factions, groups will be more mid sized (anywhere between 8 to 15 per faction) and will spawn every 1 to 3 hours (in-game time).

-- Forced Colony Occupation:
This even will spawn a single large group (at first) who will set up defenses and turrets within player's colony (like the way visitors hang around in colony). this pawn's can ignore locked doors and eat colony's food, use colony's power source, and add defensive structures (messing up player's progress). Player can either fight them, aid them in some way, or leave them be to do as they please.

These events ignore the presence of other events (doesn't stop them from triggering), but also doesn't stop or ignore situations that may happen as a result of other events. (for example: Flashstorm event occurs, then WARZONE event occurs) or (Raid event occurs, then WARZONE occurs(this would be interesting to see raider getting caught up in this)).

Someone please make this a thing!

Toggle

Random Battle event:

Yellow Message: "It seems a battle is about to be evident nearby! Two factions at war have ended up gathering there troops and seem to be about to collide near your base. They'll throw everything they have at each other until the other is dead, and they don't care who gets in the way. You can choose to stop them with force, but that might end negatively for the faction(s) you go against. "

Would probably have it spawn units based off the colonies wealth, similar to raids, since the battle has chances of damaging your buildings and colonists in the crossfire, so you could choose to stop both of them with force. Or you could just leave em and take any loot or wounded they left behind, which wouldn't damage your faction relations or turn them hostile.

Would be pretty interesting to add as a main game suggestion. As for the other two, warzone sounds good but colony occupation, that would probably be hellish to code, so I don't think that's happening.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Jakalth

Occupation could be coded off a combination of the code for sieges and faction visiting.  The visiting faction does their normal thing, but once they get there, they setup a fortification, like if they were doing a siege, but using turrets as well as mortars.  Not sure how the "using the players power" part would work though.  The setup would be slightly random so there probably wouldn't be any place for them to tap into the players power grid nearby.  So something else would need to be done.  As for the food part, visiting faction members sometimes eat the players food if they have a mental break.  It's happened once or twice to me.  Not sure how easy it would be to code though...

Toggle

I'm pretty sure visitors eat peoples food all the time. And it wouldn't really work at all. They wouldn't have any concept of what they were doing. You could just wall them in as they slept, or just block them out from entering your base and live like it's a toxic fallout until they're done building. They wouldn't know how to connect to batteries or your current power supply, and anything but connecting straight to a power source could be easily built to fool them.

And they'd have no idea where they were. Say someone has a killbox, the visitors might enter the base, and build all the turrets on the inside. They may build it halfway across the map. They may walk right into your mines and have a bunch of half built structures and sentries and such because there wouldn't be the room and they would have no sense of direction or where to build.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Jakalth

true, but for the building part, visiting factions do always gather near your base.  Close enough that if you had power lines nearby, by chance, their turrets could connect to it.  But only if they are within range.  Unless someone knows a lot more about coding, I doubt it could be anything more then just chance though.  about a 1 in 10 of their blueprint being placed in range of your power lines...  So possible, but not likely.

As for having non-powered turrets though, that might work.  But still, it would be in a random place near to your base, and they might end up trying to build in a mine field(as you said), or in the middle of your dumping stockpile.  So their pre generated "encampment" would be unbuildable...

lance789

I had no idea Rimworld had skirmish events. The longest file i've ever kept (is constantly adding and updating mods so i start new worlds when i do) was lasting over 3 years on a 400x400 map (i ALWAYS play on this size). Ive never once seen this event.

Quote from: Jakalth on May 02, 2016, 12:04:42 AM
Occupation could be coded off a combination of the code for sieges and faction visiting.  The visiting faction does their normal thing, but once they get there, they setup a fortification, like if they were doing a siege, but using turrets as well as mortars.  Not sure how the "using the players power" part would work though.  The setup would be slightly random so there probably wouldn't be any place for them to tap into the players power grid nearby.  So something else would need to be done.  As for the food part, visiting faction members sometimes eat the players food if they have a mental break.  It's happened once or twice to me.  Not sure how easy it would be to code though...
As far as occupation its self goes, this is exactly what i assume would be possible to do, but on the mention of food, i rarely see visitors eat colonist food, usually i see them eating carried foods.

The Power bit is quite interesting and now that you've mentioned it, probably would be a nightmare to code even if it is possible.

Also... the stuff about the killbox and mine field is interesting, i though such things as that were relatively simple to get around, like coding a distance checker the work benches have for usable material. If not then i clearly dont know enough about this game. But as Jakalth says, maybe its not likely to have pre-generated encampments while they are also believable, and now im thinking a system like that would be far too much work to implement even if its possible to do. D:

AllenWL

Quote from: Jakalth on May 02, 2016, 12:04:42 AM
As for the food part, visiting faction members sometimes eat the players food if they have a mental break.
Pretty sure visitors first eat food in their inventory, then food on the ground(that is nearby), regardless of if it's in your stockpiles or not.
Visitors who have mental breaks will most likely drop the food they are carrying or eat them all during their extended stay, so be more likely to eat your food than normal visitors, who carry 3 meals with them(lasts about 3 days) and rarely stay long enough to eat them all.

Dante King

Quote from: lance789 on May 03, 2016, 12:35:18 AM
I had no idea Rimworld had skirmish events. The longest file i've ever kept (is constantly adding and updating mods so i start new worlds when i do) was lasting over 3 years on a 400x400 map (i ALWAYS play on this size). Ive never once seen this event.
Rimworld has never had a skirmish event, OP wants to have somebody make a mod for it.

Bob_Namg

Normal siege events spawn in survival meals for the besiegers, it'd be a lot simpler to set a random point for the two factions to meet up and fight on the map, which makes it dangerous if a hostile faction or even a friendly one with heavies shows up and tears up your external farms.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France