What are the best animals for what reasons?

Started by Vaperius, April 16, 2016, 01:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listen1

Labrators are very fast haulers, easily trainable, but eat a ton of food. Kibble is currently very expensive to make, human meat should be the best way to feed them.

I didn't experiment with cows yet, do they produce more milk than muffalos?

Negocromn

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: Negocromn on May 02, 2016, 10:23:18 AM
turtles are completely useless

Turtles are good for sending out against mechanoids to become the ultimate distraction. Hard to hit through the shell and added with a minigun mechanoid, its almost as good as a high-quality shield strapped to an 'incapable of violence' colonist behind some rocks

Chibiabos

Boars can be trained to haul, though its harder to train them than dogs.  Good substitute though if you don't start out with dogs that can haul.

I don't know if Cougars are stronger than Bears for attack, but their speed makes them supreme ... no one can outrun them, enemies won't be able to flee very far if you've got them trained to release! :)

I think Rhinos are probably the toughest attack animals short of Thrumbos which I found very very difficult to tame, even for a Handler of skill 20.  They can certainly absorb a lot of bullets.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Listen1

If you place your turtles in the killbox/entrance, and release them when a Raid starts... boy they do some damage, and are pretty durable against friendly fire. Also, since they put alot of eggs, they can be used as meat and reproduce quite fast.

Negocromn

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on May 02, 2016, 10:31:35 AM

Turtles are good for sending out against mechanoids to become the ultimate distraction. Hard to hit through the shell and added with a minigun mechanoid, its almost as good as a high-quality shield strapped to an 'incapable of violence' colonist behind some rocks

they aren't, you'll need a lot of time to move the turtles around and if you have enough turtles to do this you'll also have plenty of personal shields available

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on May 02, 2016, 10:35:34 AM

If you place your turtles in the killbox/entrance, and release them when a Raid starts... boy they do some damage, and are pretty durable against friendly fire. Also, since they put alot of eggs, they can be used as meat and reproduce quite fast.

couldn't be less true, turtles reproduce quite slowly and are worth tens of times less meat than what they eat

and they are decent to have near your kill box to draw some fire, but not in your kill box, if you actually send out the turtles against your enemies you'll likely end up losing tens of them every raid

Listen1

I haven't experienced much with the combat turtles, I made a turtle farm and when it reached 40 turtles I started using the eggs for food. Worked well because of all the hay I had.

zandadoum

After hundreds of hours since animals were introduced I'd say BOAR are the best animal, no discussion.

- easy to tame and good availability on many biomes
- breed better that many other animals
- easy to train for anything you want
- good meat shield for defense and decent enough damage
- good meat source
- easy to keep fed

Grizzlyadamz

Quote from: keylocke on May 02, 2016, 05:57:14 AM
do thrumbos produce milk and fur when tamed in vanilla? i can't seem to recall..
Looks like they don't. Their only real use in vanilla is as a combat pet & medical training.
They can't even make use of their 200+ carry capacity- only one stack is allowed at a time.

Negocromn

Quote from: zandadoum on May 02, 2016, 11:58:51 AM
After hundreds of hours since animals were introduced I'd say BOAR are the best animal, no discussion.

- easy to tame and good availability on many biomes
- breed better that many other animals
- easy to train for anything you want
- good meat shield for defense and decent enough damage
- good meat source
- easy to keep fed

I'd vote boars too.

Actually, a tie between boars and alpacas.

Grizzlyadamz

Quote from: Negocromn on May 02, 2016, 12:31:35 PM

I'd vote boars too.

How come? It seems all alpacas do is grow fur. Nice fur, but that's it. In the meantime they consume a fair deal more than pigs/boars (75-80% more) don't haul/rescue and are utterly useless in a fight.

Negocromn

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on May 02, 2016, 01:30:59 PM
Quote from: Negocromn on May 02, 2016, 12:31:35 PM

I'd vote boars too.

How come? It seems all alpacas do is grow fur. Nice fur, but that's it. In the meantime they consume a fair deal more than pigs/boars (75-80% more) don't haul/rescue and are utterly useless in a fight.

they consume 42,8% more than boars and 25% more than pigs, and drop 480 wool per year

with all the manhunter waves you should be never running out of textiles to make gear for your colonists anyway, but with alpacas you can have multiple tailors working nonstop and basically have infinite money and excellent+ gear for everyone

that's implying any trader will actually visit you tho lol

Too-DAMN-Much

i thought i was being really smart the other day, then i realized bears have only intermediate intelligence in rimworld....

they really need to fix the intelligence levels, bears are freaking smart.

makapse

The 'best pet' is subjective to what you you want the pet's role to be. It also changes from biome to biome too. A pet who is good to have in a grassy land eating the free grass may not be a good choice to have on a ice sheet map. Also, the alpaca wool is invaluable on ice sheets to map parkas, but the chickens are very good to have on a rain forest due to the speed at which they multiply.