Ridiculous combat suppliers?

Started by Shurp, May 02, 2016, 07:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So it looks like I need to mod combat suppliers?  Because the latest one to show up is just ridiculous.  Three golden spears, two uranium knives, two plasteel longswords, two silver knives, a plasteel spear, etc etc.  The array of useless (and outrageously expensive) melee weapons is astounding.

He's also carrying an awful LMG and an awful charge rifle.  No survival rifles, no sniper rifles, no assault rifles, nothing actually useful.

What the heck?

(this is an orbital supplier, btw.  I can accept that tribals don't carry firearms, but the large quantities of silver/gold weapons is also annoying)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

Considering how marginal melee combat is in this shooty game, the abundance of melee weapons in combat suppliers is perplexing. It doesn't make sense. Yes, it's nice because you finally get a ship that will buy melee weapons, but I think it makes more sense for pirate ships to trade in melee weapons. Pirates might be sentimental and care about traditions and bravado, but military should be about ruthless efficiency and overwhelming firepower. They might sell one or two melee weapons, but they should rather sell turrets and tanks, not materials to build the Iron Throne. And with the ability to get the weapon of your choice from Machining Table, combat suppliers look even more outdated.

Vaporisor

Maybe they are like most realworld combat suppliers.  Few good things but mostly bling for saps :p  i would like to see more bionics when they stop by though.  Specially at current rate they seem to show up.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

b0rsuk

They sell some bionics, but also plenty of cheap prothetic limbs and replacement organs. Combat Supplier is already good news when you have some crippled colonists.

Vaporisor

Yeah, they arent bad.  And of course their meds are cheapest.  The bit about rate they show I am referring to the traders themselves.  Has been tweaked a bit.  Got money and gear I am rearing to sell without any buyers coming :D.  Well, hopefully the township I can finish making ammends with.  Filthy sappers.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

koisama

Well, someone has to sell awful golden spears and maces. Cheap gold, yeah.

Negocromn

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 02, 2016, 08:04:18 AM
Considering how marginal melee combat is in this shooty game, the abundance of melee weapons in combat suppliers is perplexing. It doesn't make sense. Yes, it's nice because you finally get a ship that will buy melee weapons, but I think it makes more sense for pirate ships to trade in melee weapons. Pirates might be sentimental and care about traditions and bravado, but military should be about ruthless efficiency and overwhelming firepower. They might sell one or two melee weapons, but they should rather sell turrets and tanks, not materials to build the Iron Throne. And with the ability to get the weapon of your choice from Machining Table, combat suppliers look even more outdated.

But melee isn't some old thing in this game, melee is more up to date war technology than at least all current tech level firearms.

What doesn't make sense is the specific weapons used and the materials most are crafted.

skullywag

I always imagine they have so many melee weapons cuz no one buys them.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Vaporisor

One thing that might annoy some, but I would like is weapons to wear like apparel with use.  It makes buying weapons more viable to prevent drain on finite resourse.  Have good smith build those critical ones to ensure high quality for main soldiers, but sell and buy to really keep the main forces with armaments.

Apparel at this time is same problem, but opposite cause.  Peeps dont buy cause material is infinite for reasonable things.  Bit more spread on effect based on material would mean more real trading.  Example is I have realworld leather jackets.  I have a dress one.  Soft leather and comfy.  Other is my motorcycle jacket.  Heavy and durable.  A chinchilla fur jacket should boost comfy.  Muffalo offer some defence.  Devilstrand already does!

Trading is very much basic for its potential.  I am looking forward to what the future brings.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Negocromn

Quote from: Vaporisor on May 02, 2016, 10:10:00 AM
One thing that might annoy some, but I would like is weapons to wear like apparel with use.  It makes buying weapons more viable to prevent drain on finite resourse.  Have good smith build those critical ones to ensure high quality for main soldiers, but sell and buy to really keep the main forces with armaments.

If they change how deterioration works, sure. Otherwise no, having to replace equipment every so often is good, but having equipment lose a lot of stats every 1% is hurts my brain.

b0rsuk

I find it strange that no amount of shooting will make a weapon degrade slightly. Your starting survival rifle will last you an entire game unless you suffer an explosion or similar accident.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 02, 2016, 02:02:08 PM
I find it strange that no amount of shooting will make a weapon degrade slightly. Your starting survival rifle will last you an entire game unless you suffer an explosion or similar accident.

while at the same time conversely being stored in an outdoor stockpile can disintegrate to nothing any material known to man.

celem

The root problem here is value.  The trader brings the most awesome valuable stuff he can find.  Value is dictated in melee weapons by quality and material, but in guns only by quality.  So melee weapons have the potential to get far pricier than firearms ever can.  Then because all the ornamental mats *can* be used to craft them, thats what is brought.  Most of them would be horrible weapons anyway barring maybe silver/uranium mace, but I dont know how deep combat here is, i rather suspect material density is not what drives blunt damage.