Extract bionic parts from cadavers

Started by wbonxx, May 02, 2016, 12:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbonxx

Not sure if was already suggested, if yes would be useful to have a resume' of approved and disapproved suggestons at the beginning of this section.
I think we should be able to extract bionic parts from cadavers with a medic.

dragoduval

Did not know that it was not a thing O.o . Im lucky then that i never lost someone whit bionic, but yea that should be in the games. Hell taking part of fresh body should be a thing too.
Im making my own mod !!!! Also im pretty sure that i started World Wars 3.....

Also if i spawn too many subject then dont mind me, i'm just bored at school :D. Damn 3 hours long video's....

Kegereneku

Just so you know : YES it does come out a lot.
From memory it started as a bug, but then it was apparently too easy to get bionics.

Quote from: Kegereneku on July 18, 2015, 01:46:26 PM
I don't remember well. Tynan said something that made it look like a code problem (dead body state aren't refreshed) that made it possible to harvest infinite number of prosthetic and so... but also that it was a balance problem because regularly comes with bionics.

Since he added so much feature relating to Life-stage and animals, I think we could ask him again if its possible.

So he gave a logic to justify it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/35pwuw/typical_tuesday_suggestion_thread_may_12_2015/cr6pwje
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Chibiabos

Wish we could extract bionic parts from anything that has one, alive or not. :/  They're sooo expensive.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

dragoduval

Well a counterpart would be the destruction of the body once its destructed, would remove that bug.
Im making my own mod !!!! Also im pretty sure that i started World Wars 3.....

Also if i spawn too many subject then dont mind me, i'm just bored at school :D. Damn 3 hours long video's....

Darth Fool

I think balance wise, bionic parts could be extractable, IF, they were not healable.  Thus, if your bioinic arm takes 5 of 20 hit points, it will operate at 1/4 efficiency loss until you replace the whole arm.  You could extract an arm from a corpse, but there would be some possibility of damage (depending on medical skill).  Alternatively, perhaps they could be repaired if you had sufficient components and other supplies and an advanced bionics manufacturing table.  Maybe the table could patch clothes as well ;p

Fakjbf

It would be possible if bionics were given condition statuses like weapons and clothes. As Darth Fool said, if someone takes damage to a bionic body part it should retain that damage when extracted. The extraction process itself should degrade the bionic as well, and I would say it should degrade over time as well if people are using it. So yes bionics would be easier to obtain, but the ones you get wouldn't be as good as a new one and you would need more bionics anyway to replace ones that get too damaged. This increased demand would be able to keep the increased supply from becoming too OP.

Kegereneku

Considering how easily some stuff become useless when damaged, I really don't want to see Bionics suffer the same state.
-------
Write an Event

Thane

Wow Keger. You are in a really solid *Nothing Shall Change* mood on all these threads today.

If we can extract useful bionics from corpses then it would be good to make them deteriorate, but not one, or the other. Basically they should fall apart and require repair if they become plentiful.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

firescythe

Quote from: Thane on May 03, 2016, 05:03:52 PM
Basically they should fall apart and require repair if they become plentiful.

What do you mean there? If I there is 3+ bionics on a map, they should required repair, but if I cremate one on a body, the other two jump into flawless state?

I suppose any items in the game should follow same behaviour independently of many are available. Bionics is anyway very much effort needy things. Cutting limbs are not. So removing is easy, but to apply it... I would say much-much medical expertise and effort would make it possible, but still not quaranteed successful.

JonoRig

Before a13, I feel biotics were more plentiful, so I was all for the (arbitrary) limit by a corpse being unable to have the part removed, now I seem to find it quite difficult to acquire them, so maybe it's time to start looking into this again with the balance update that a14 might be.

Harold3456

While I was initially stunned that you couldn't get your bionics back from corpses, I don't entirely hate it. It really makes me need to weigh how I use my bionics now - if you could just infinitely recycle them off your dead, then your bionics number could only increase (barring your colonists getting kidnapped or burned up, of course).

The current setup really makes me think about which colonists I want to put in danger, or which I want to put bionics into. I'm late enough into my current colony that five of my colonists have been around since virtually the beginning, and all of them are outfitted with at least one (but in many cases more) implant.

Thane

Quote from: firescythe on May 04, 2016, 02:59:08 AM
Basically they should fall apart and require repair if they become plentiful.

What do you mean there? If I there is 3+ bionics on a map, they should required repair, but if I cremate one on a body, the other two jump into flawless state?

I suppose any items in the game should follow same behaviour independently of many are available. Bionics is anyway very much effort needy things. Cutting limbs are not. So removing is easy, but to apply it... I would say much-much medical expertise and effort would make it possible, but still not quaranteed successful.

If you can harvest bionics from the dead then you need to make them deteriorate to counter the sudden glut. Either that or just raise the price and decrease the spawn rate.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

wbonxx

I also believe bionic parts should deteriorate, be damaged.

But is a bit frustrating not being able to get them from cadavers of raiders.
Could be interesting to have only 4-6h  to harvest them before they get rotten.
Maybe a technology to harvest reimplant... using components etc.

Kegereneku

Wow Keger. You are in a really solid *Nothing Shall Change* mood on all these threads today.

If we can extract useful bionics from corpses then it would be good to make them deteriorate, but not one, or the other. Basically they should fall apart and require repair if they become plentiful.

Don't get me wrong. I WANT to retrieve Bionics (the game is hard enough and you rarely get good traders), just like I actually suggested an easier "Guard/draft" without pointless features.
Here I want Bionic from cadaver... but not have them fall into piece. Even if it is indeed (one of many) way to balance it.

Also I simply said WHY it hasn't been possible since. I even said "worth asking Tynan again"
-------
Write an Event