New Creature/Animal/bug Tutorial/Template [wanted]

Started by jay_rab, May 02, 2016, 06:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay_rab

Does anyone have a good outline/example/template for adding new creatures? one were we can just reference the art and tweak the stats?

Or is this something that has many layers and not easily done?

Spidercamp

I've gotten to the point where I can get pink squares to show up labeled as "sheep". I can't figure out how to get the textures to load though.

If you want a good starting point you could begin by modifying the following files (make a back up  ;D)
Go to yourRimWorldinstall>mods>core>defs>
PawnKindDefs_Animals
ThingDefs_Races
ThinkTreeDefs
SoundDefs

When I started, I copied an existing animal entry in the xml and then modified it to create different behavior etc. Like I said though, I still have no idea how to get textures to work.

The xmls are pretty self explanatory. I downloaded the zombie apocalypse mod and the rugs mod from http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld to use as a road map to find most of the important files. If I can get the sheep one to work I'll upload it and you can check out the file structure etc.

jay_rab

Quote from: blondebrowncoat on May 07, 2016, 11:58:23 PM
I've gotten to the point where I can get pink squares to show up labeled as "sheep". I can't figure out how to get the textures to load though.

If you want a good starting point you could begin by modifying the following files (make a back up  ;D)
Go to yourRimWorldinstall>mods>core>defs>
PawnKindDefs_Animals
ThingDefs_Races
ThinkTreeDefs
SoundDefs

When I started, I copied an existing animal entry in the xml and then modified it to create different behavior etc. Like I said though, I still have no idea how to get textures to work.

The xmls are pretty self explanatory. I downloaded the zombie apocalypse mod and the rugs mod from http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld to use as a road map to find most of the important files. If I can get the sheep one to work I'll upload it and you can check out the file structure etc.

Very cool, Thanks for sharing as this gives me a nice starting point to look into it as well, I will do the same and share if I make any headway. 

In the mean time best of luck with your sheep ^_^

Illusion Distort

When you make a mod, it has to have all the textures in the Textures folder, are you refferencing it correctly?

Shinzy

For the textures this here mod mite be of help
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18659.0

(these animals don't spawn in the wild however so you're on your own with that one!)

Spidercamp

YAY WE HAVE SHEEP BUTTS! That muffalo download helped! Illusion Distort was right, I had the textures folder but I pathed it wrong. I'm going to tweak the images a little and modify the behavior. I'll update the thread with a download link as soon as it's finished with a little guide. Thanks for your help!!

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Illusion Distort

That feeling when scrolling down and the first thing you see. "YOURNAME was right..."

Made my day, thanks.