Tired of imbalance...

Started by Shurp, May 02, 2016, 06:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

My five colonists have a survival rifle and four great bows.

Three of the six pirates building mortars have sniper rifles.

I know, I know, I can just load the autosave... but I'm just tired of the silliness.  I think I'll wait for some balance in a14 instead.

(Oh, this is on Cassandra btw.  I know, I should play Randy so I have more balance, right?)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

koisama

Do you really want Randy's balance?

There are 35 of them walking around, and another 34 taken care of. Now, guess who I'm talking about.
http://i.imgur.com/C61MaH5.jpg

Vaporisor

That sounds like fun!  Time for melee while they sleep!!!
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Shurp

What in god's name?  You got attacked by 35 centipedes at once?  Or they trickled in and you left them wandering around and accumulated too many?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

rexx1888

i like cassandra an phoebe as proof of concepts, but theres not enough content in RW to try an balance it right now lol

Listy

Quote from: Shurp on May 02, 2016, 09:11:57 PM
What in god's name?  You got attacked by 35 centipedes at once?  Or they trickled in and you left them wandering around and accumulated too many?

You mean "Only 35". When you've been pushing a decade on world then things get a bit silly. Here, have 200 man hunters. 150+ Tribals or similar numbers.
Long term game play is known to be an issue, as all it does is whack numbers up to eleven. But we know what we're getting in for.

In your case, remember you're only out ranged by a couple of squares, and cover can make a lot of difference. Just snipe the mortars either while they're building or for big explosions when they're built.

NuclearStudent

Once you kill enough tribals, their bodies start to become a defensive barricade!

Gennadios

+1. Having 20,000 silver worth of sandstone bocks and awfl (15%) clothing items in storage doesn't automatically mean that a colony can withstand a crashed ship part. It's time for the storytellers to live up to their concept and actually start trying to figure out how to challenge a colony without sinking it.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Gennadios on May 03, 2016, 12:22:42 AM
It's time for the storytellers to live up to their concept and actually start trying to figure out how to challenge a colony without sinking it.

Rimworld is already designed this way. There are very few enemies and events brutal enough to sink a colony. This is one of main differences between RW and DF. Toady seems thrilled to add stuff causing chaos and devastation, Tynan errs on the side of playing safe.

CheeseGromit

Balance is often an interesting discussion since it's very subjective. I know I've been frustrated with how the game scales but I think that's more a disconnect between how I want to play and the experience that game is trying to provide. Effectively, I don't think I'm playing the game properly. I'm still not sure whether I want to play properly or I've just not found the right pacing and scaling for my tastes. Thankfully much of the game is easily modable so I'm able to experiment beyond the default storyteller and difficulties.

For interest, back when I was looking into modding how the game scales I found this thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3927.0. Note that it's apha 4, much has changed and I have no idea whether the concept of what Rimworld is trying to achieve still holds true.

Gennadios

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 03, 2016, 01:33:28 AM
Quote from: Gennadios on May 03, 2016, 12:22:42 AM
It's time for the storytellers to live up to their concept and actually start trying to figure out how to challenge a colony without sinking it.

Rimworld is already designed this way. There are very few enemies and events brutal enough to sink a colony. This is one of main differences between RW and DF. Toady seems thrilled to add stuff causing chaos and devastation, Tynan errs on the side of playing safe.

It's not about individual events and enemies, it's about the game spiraling itself out of control. A few early raiders with awful PDWs, once those are lying on the ground unclaimed the game ups the sakes with a few sniper rifle enemies, and if you survive that the storytellers figure that you can handle a crashed ship part before the player has a good enough energy infrastructure for their first turret.

The game being designed this way is one thing, but when I read about "Intelligent AI storytellers" before my purchase, I imagined an algorithm that would at least take my combat able population into account when generating threats. Instead, it's all based off of game length, the jade sitting around in storage or the slowly decaying tribal weapons on the other end of the map.

keylocke

i think i suggested a long time ago that the storyteller should be able to read the "combat value" of the player colony based on total pawns, their equipped weapons, apparel, bionics, and their combat skills. focusing more on those combat values and less focus on time and wealth.

----

i think i also suggested that raider AI should prioritize attacking the pawns with the highest "threat value" within the raiders firing range. (ie : your best equipped and highest combat skilled pawn + the DPS they managed to deal during combat will have the highest threat value)

etc..

------------

but as for the OP.

i think there are several ways to deal with your scenario.

ie :

-send someone to bait the snipers and then let the bait hide behind wall cover. letting your other shooters to get in range of the snipers and focus fire without getting shot.

-waiting for the enemies to fall asleep, then sneak close enough to wreak havoc.

koisama

Quote from: Shurp on May 02, 2016, 09:11:57 PM
I got attacked by 69 centipedes (and 31 scythers) at once. Fortunately, they're not too persistent when it comes to breaking walls and doors, so I was able to kill them in the next few days.
That was some unique experience, spending not one, but several nights inside while centipedes swarm your front yard and try to break inside. Good thing I have a night owl colonist with construction high enough to repair the outer layer doors faster than they break them.

Aarkreinsil

That feeling when you play ice sheet until it's no biggie, then you go for a nice "easy" vacation in the jungle.

Suddenly, everyone has the plague, malaria AND the flu while dying from a 65°C heat stroke and being blown to bits by 65 rampaging boomalopes.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Aarkreinsil on May 03, 2016, 07:11:26 AM
That feeling when you play ice sheet until it's no biggie, then you go for a nice "easy" vacation in the jungle.

Suddenly, everyone has the plague, malaria AND the flu while dying from a 65°C heat stroke and being blown to bits by 65 rampaging boomalopes.

or when you remember that time you had a colonist stuck in bed for years, then it happens again with your current colony, did that with the one before my current messing around colony...

maybe superstitions do exist for a reason.

huh.