How long do your colonies usually last before you get bored with it

Started by A Friend, May 03, 2016, 05:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long do your colonies usually last before you bored with it and start up a new one.

My colonies never last a year
Somewhere between 2-4 years
At least 5 years
At least 10 years
At least 15 years
Nope, I never get bored. whatcha talkin' about u dirty casual

FlorenceTWA

(Ah wait! Sth like "Uranium Long Sword" suddenly flashed in my mind just now... Whoops. Apparently it shouldn't be THAT hard to get enough uranium... Was only thinking about clubs and maces the tribal people carry...)

Vaporisor

It really comes down to if I set a goal for the colony in the beginning.  Usually the 5 year mark is where I am leaving on a space ship.  Though I do prefer setting up a solid structure and trying to make a stay of it with randy.  A nice castle with a golden throne room, or plasteel fortress, etc.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Shurp

Maybe it would help if the game had more artistic goals available... yes, you can build statues... I wonder if we need something more in this direction.  Something to focus on building once all your colonists are equipped with power armor and charge rifles.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

keylocke

what i've been trying lately is to just increase the popcap to around 50, make a spaceship, send out around 10 people (i make a list of who i send out), continue playing, make more spaceship and send out more people. (make a list of each separate group), continue playing, until i get bored or die.

when i start a new game, i just bring up my lost in space list, then recreate them using prep carefully, then randomize landing spot, etc..

-----

it's fun, i enjoy being able to send people into space, but i still think it would be great to have kids in rimworld for my permanent colony.  ;D

DoktorDoh

Now that you can assign "working areas" to each individual colonist my goal is to build multiple colonies spreaded on one map. Each colony should only have between 5-10 colonists. At the moment I have 2 colonies, one in the top left corner, the other in the right bottom corner. I'm at year 5 and try to build 3 more colonies (bottom left, top right, middle) bevor I build one big spaceship as an collaborative project for all 50 colonists ;)
Something

mumblemumble

Right now the situation with components pretty much halted my colony to wait around with its thumb up its ass, for a trader so I can builder a component bench, and start building. Really think component costs weren't planned well, they are deceptively common at the beginning, yet you need to plan long term to make it, otherwise you need to buy your way in, which is extremely unreliable.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

sadpickle

Quote from: Shurp on May 11, 2016, 10:44:19 PM
Maybe it would help if the game had more artistic goals available... yes, you can build statues... I wonder if we need something more in this direction.  Something to focus on building once all your colonists are equipped with power armor and charge rifles.
DF-style decorating/engraving of furniture objects would be nice. Gives your artists a break from the statue sweatshop.

I'd also like to a see an epic-style colossal statue that takes up several tiles, and is built on-site (like a construction job, but with Art skill). My name is Ozymandias...

Zombra

Still learning the game.  It seems like every colony has a new "gotcha!" I couldn't plan for.  Usually I last, I don't know, a couple years.  But I've never quit yet - I've always been wiped out.  I don't know if you guys use save games but I have only run Permadeath since I began.

I almost have a spaceship big enough to evacuate my current 10-person winter hills colony on Phoebe/Rough.  Wish me luck.

After that, will I keep playing?  Not sure.  I want to build my strategies until I can escape the planet on Cassandra/Challenging since that's the supposed "true" way to play.  But once I "win" and see the credits once, maybe I'll be ready to move on, or at least wait until release.  Amazing that this is only an alpha right now.

Shurp

mumblemumble, grab a mod to fix trading.  Once an exotic goods orbital trader shows up with 50 components for a mere 750 silver your thumb-up-ass days are over.  It's trading that is broken, not components.

Doktor Doh, do you have your mini colonies war with each other? :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dspendragon

If I last more 2 years, I kick the up to max and throw Hildegarde the epic on. and see what the throws at me.
This is Rimworld people, Where cannibals ware pink helmets and nudest decide to go outside when its -59F, And where shit happens. Its anything but fare or balanced, Lady Luck rolls a 1000-sided dice and 80% of that dice says"Death"on it. Your job is keeping your people alive in bad rolls. Good Luck.

keylocke

Quote from: DoktorDoh on May 12, 2016, 01:27:22 AM
Now that you can assign "working areas" to each individual colonist my goal is to build multiple colonies spreaded on one map. Each colony should only have between 5-10 colonists. At the moment I have 2 colonies, one in the top left corner, the other in the right bottom corner. I'm at year 5 and try to build 3 more colonies (bottom left, top right, middle) bevor I build one big spaceship as an collaborative project for all 50 colonists ;)

sounds interesting. haha.

pawn from colony A drops by to colony B..
-dude from colony B : "ei man, wat up?"
-dude from colony A : "we ran out of potatoes bro, got some spare for yo homies?"
-dude from colony B : "it's in the stockpile floor down that hall"
-dude from colony A : "wat? you guys here still store food on the floor like tribals?"
-dude from colony B : "no hate man, it's fo flavah."

lelelel..

DoktorDoh

@keylocke.
It's a little bit like that :)
If one of my colonies has no food or other resources I but something in a shared stockpile (an refrigerated room, anywhere on the map, where all colonies have access above a small path). Thats like the trading spot between my colonies. The Problem is, at the moment I can't protect the room very well, cause he is located in the center of the map.

@Shurp
That would (eventually) be nice! Some betrayal is always a good thing ;) But in my memories the "force friendly fire" option is really hard to control.
Something

Coenmcj

Atleast 3 years in most instances, 5 when it's modded.
Took 6 years on my vanilla cass-rough run before I had the steel to build a ship capable of launching all 25 of my pawns. (Would of been 26, but one of my pawns was hit by a mortar shell as they were embarking, it shredded their torso and they bled to death in seconds.)
No orbital traders to sell you steel anymore makes it a real bother to build things, I had a decent stockpile of 5K plasteel (Mechanoids are amazing. ;) )I couldn't do anything with, since all my brawlers had Gladii and my ship was complete apart from the pods, which needed more steel than anything.

Can't wait to get my modded run going, but alot of my preferred mods still havn't updated to A13. :c (Also, RIP Combat realism)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Lascer

I rarely pay attention to exactly how many years have gone past, but I'd guess the average mentioned is pretty accurate. After a few winters nothing is really going to tank the colony, so I start wanting to try a different basebuild.

I keep hoping that (in some future build), previous colonies will get added to the map as possibly hostile groups, assuming you keep building colonies on the same seed planet. It would create a bit more end game content, because you could create your own enemies (if the 'npc' village was based off the wealth level you left the colony at, or directly used pawns from that game). Even if it was an alternative option to the ship, to permanently abdicate control of the colony and bake it into the seed as an NPC camp.

Pan7h3r

However long it takes for me to either stuff up or build my colony to the point of invincibility. The first more common than the latter.
I do RimWorld Lets Plays if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpmldyg_oxpG0zCFxOEi4ZQ