Traits and Families

Started by Karakoran, February 09, 2014, 12:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeMatt

I had spent some time thinking about relationships/families and I think it would actually make for an interesting "end of game" scenario.  Imagine:

Two colonists only get into a relationship if they're sufficiently compatible (meaning they have similar stats and traits), they're sufficiently happy, and they spend quite some time talking with each other specifically.  Then, they get a bonus for sleeping in the same bedroom, instead of the existing penalty for sharing a bedroom.

A male and a female colonist in a relationship, if sufficiently happy (and I'm thinking this is substantially more than the "get in a relationship" level), can get the female pregnant.  Pregnancy is statistics-wise a penalty;  she moves slower, has less effective skills, etc.  270 days later, assuming she survives that long (miscarriages ho!) she gives birth.  The player gets a prompt to name the baby and can choose to either continue or finish the game.

Choosing to "finish" gets a message along the lines of, "None of you wished to be marooned, and while you spent much effort seeking a way off this planet, the birth of <baby> shows that you can indeed make a home of this place.  Perhaps someday you will venture offworld, but instead of trying to return home, you, or your children's children, will be leaving it."  Cue end-of-game statistics and credits screens (if such are planned).

Choosing to "continue" continues the game as normal.