TIP: Geothermal-heated greenhouses = solar flare-immune heat

Started by Chibiabos, May 14, 2016, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

Quote from: Vaporisor on May 15, 2016, 03:02:44 PM
Well, that is part of ice sheet.  Geothermal plant is 6x6 so if on growable land can be significant.  Plant does not hurt heating.  I have same thing right now.  My vent is dead center of gravel pit.  By time I build geothermal, the gamble of rice hydroponics will pay for itself fast vs the lost of some potato.  Six rice hydroponics will pay for itself after second harvest of rice.

What I describe is generally safer and more efficient ... yeah go hydroponics when you got generators, but no reason to not keep going on geothermal greenhousing and do both.  Hydroponics are great but consume an immense amount of power and resources particularly when you have to build multiple geothermal generators and build power conduit all over the map to link up their power.  I've run into situations where I've built generators on every vent on the map (and I generally play on 300x300 maps) but still want more farming than the hydroponics those can power.  The heat from a geothermal vent is continuous and free, might as well reap that free resource in my book, and growing crops on soil indoors with a sun lamp takes a lot less resources.  And if you want devilstrand ... trying to do so previously on hydroponics was a nightmare due to various events wiping them out.

However well you do, if you do something to improve the efficiency of your various resources -- whether metal and components or electrical power -- to get more done with less, you'll do even better than you do now.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Bairne

Sort of on topic: has anyone considered putting a bunch of fueled generators in a greenhouse for warmth? Less heat, but cheaper so long as you can supply the wood.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Bairne on May 15, 2016, 08:30:30 PM
Sort of on topic: has anyone considered putting a bunch of fueled generators in a greenhouse for warmth? Less heat, but cheaper so long as you can supply the wood.

Depends on how much metal and components you have to spend.  Probably more efficient just to use campfires.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Vaporisor

Quote from: Bairne on May 15, 2016, 08:30:30 PM

Hrm... haven't done a boreal or tundra since the generators have been brought into the game, but I have wondered if it would be possible for one sunlamp growing trees to grow two generators, but need to do the map.  The concept being that some of the trees fuel the generators, and give a bit of wood.  I knew I would need heaters, but never considered the efficiency of if the generator is in the fuel room as well.

On ice sheets specifically and on tundra otherwise, it could be too difficult to keep them fueled.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes