Rabbits not breeding

Started by Shurp, March 28, 2016, 07:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Exactly.  *rabbits*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV0e7pRysj0

The idea that we should wait 20 minutes -- let alone 20 days -- for a male rabbit to jump on something and hump it is less realistic than, erm, giant minigun wielding centipedes :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

sure, "we" can easily make an exception....find the code determining impregnation for rabbits and change it...release it as a mod :p

MajorFordson

I haven't seen yet, but do animals have multiple litters correctly?

It's fine to have chickens and snakes laying one egg at a time, but rabbits and so on normally have half a dozen young at a time...

porcupine

I hope in A13, rabbits will at least be true to real life....

And rape bloody everything remotely near its size.

Tortoise?  Not a problem, I got that.

Cat, I can tap that.

Squirrel?  I'm all over that, literally, and figuratively....

mumblemumble

I've owned a rabbit before,  and yes,  they hump literally anything... My cat back then kicked its ass repeatedly for it.

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Limdood

Quote from: MajorFordson on April 03, 2016, 07:59:22 PM
I haven't seen yet, but do animals have multiple litters correctly?

It's fine to have chickens and snakes laying one egg at a time, but rabbits and so on normally have half a dozen young at a time...

yes.  It usually seems to be 2-3 offspring per pregnancy, except for large animals (elephant, muffalo, alpaca, etc)

Shurp

So we're all in agreement that male rabbits should have a 5% chance per millisecond of switching to mating, right?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

SpaceDorf

Yup.

And not only Rabbits.
My childhood guinea pig got a nasty bite while trying to hump the face of a bunny.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Xav

Quote from: Shurp on March 28, 2016, 07:24:52 AM
OK, so I've had a male rabbit and a female rabbit for 6 months, and I have no little bunnies bouncing around.  They're both hopping around in the same 10x10 animal zone so it's not like they haven't had a chance to breed.  What's the deal?  Are chickens the only animals capable of breeding?  Because if I don't see bunnies soon I'm going to give up on this shrubland map and go back to playing on ice sheets (I decided this game to try a map with some grass for the explicit purpose of raising animals) 

[edit]
Well now *that* is just freaky.  My female lab *just* got pregnant after I posted this.  So clearly pregnancy works.  But why are my labs having an easier time getting it on than my rabbits?  Note that the male rabbit is a healthy 2 year old and the female 3 so age shouldn't be an issue... also I bought the rabbits from a trader while I found the labs as a result of a random event, is that pertinent?

I had a colony where one male adult rabbit kept another female rabbit pregnant (seemingly), year-round.  I always had those annoying little white pests around.  Eventually I just butchered the adults...too much hassle.

Pan7h3r

Quote from: Xav on May 15, 2016, 08:34:47 PM
Quote from: Shurp on March 28, 2016, 07:24:52 AM
OK, so I've had a male rabbit and a female rabbit for 6 months, and I have no little bunnies bouncing around.  They're both hopping around in the same 10x10 animal zone so it's not like they haven't had a chance to breed.  What's the deal?  Are chickens the only animals capable of breeding?  Because if I don't see bunnies soon I'm going to give up on this shrubland map and go back to playing on ice sheets (I decided this game to try a map with some grass for the explicit purpose of raising animals) 

[edit]
Well now *that* is just freaky.  My female lab *just* got pregnant after I posted this.  So clearly pregnancy works.  But why are my labs having an easier time getting it on than my rabbits?  Note that the male rabbit is a healthy 2 year old and the female 3 so age shouldn't be an issue... also I bought the rabbits from a trader while I found the labs as a result of a random event, is that pertinent?

I had a colony where one male adult rabbit kept another female rabbit pregnant (seemingly), year-round.  I always had those annoying little white pests around.  Eventually I just butchered the adults...too much hassle.

Maybe this has been updated since?
I do RimWorld Lets Plays if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpmldyg_oxpG0zCFxOEi4ZQ