Isn't Crashed Poison Ship Part too tame ?

Started by b0rsuk, May 03, 2016, 05:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Unlike the Psychic Ship, Poison Ship can be ignored for a long, long time unless it drops into your Devilstrand.

1.  You probably have a stockpile of food.
2. Only plants are affected. Hunting is a very good workaround, until the entire map is covered affected and animals have nothing to eat.
3. You can get food from trade caravans.
4. It doesn't drive animals crazy.
5. No colonists are especially vulnerable to it.

It may be a fun challenge to finish the game without destroying any green crashed ships. Sounds very doable unless it spawns too early.

For reference, psychic drone certainly goes as high as 25, and I seem to remember even 50 after a long time.

Shurp

Does it affect plants indoors?  I never let it go long enough to find out...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

PotatoeTater

Quote from: Shurp on May 03, 2016, 07:50:35 PM

I'm wondering that too, I always blow it up asap.
Life is Strange

koisama

It sure does.

Though both ship parts are barely a threat.

Negocromn

yeah, the only poison ship that was ever a "must-destroy asap threat" was one that crashed in the summer in the colony I was going for a thousand turtles, because then the whole map was used for growing or grazing

other than that I often forget about crashed poison ships

Vaporisor

It is tame, but like many things, needs to be taken comparably.  It is less the immediate threat than the psychic ship, but scaled threats are nice.  That said, earlier game, both are hazardous to take out without exploiting the system.  Also depending on map and land, having it right near food production early is quite the risk.  I cannot remember for certain, but the toxic snow I believe can rot stockpiles...
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Panzer

If they re far enough from my base, I use them as an area denial tool. I make zone to exclude that part of the map and then fire a shot to get the mechs to spawn. If I get lucky a raid might spawn near the ship, and they take each other out, happened more than a few times in my games. Otherwise it is a death trap for passing visitors, they can drop quite a bit of silver over time ;D

b0rsuk

Quote from: koisama on May 03, 2016, 08:35:12 PM
It sure does.

Though both ship parts are barely a threat.
Both ? -50 mood barely a threat ?

stefanstr

Quote from: Panzer on May 04, 2016, 02:55:46 AM
If they re far enough from my base, I use them as an area denial tool. I make zone to exclude that part of the map and then fire a shot to get the mechs to spawn. If I get lucky a raid might spawn near the ship, and they take each other out, happened more than a few times in my games. Otherwise it is a death trap for passing visitors, they can drop quite a bit of silver over time ;D
That's a neat strategy. I need to try it sometime.

koisama

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 04, 2016, 03:36:14 AM
Both ? -50 mood barely a threat ?
You'll have to ignore it for half a season to get that bad. And destroying one is a trivial task, even if you don't want to burn it, you can surround it with IEDs and fire a single shot from a sniper rifle.

b0rsuk

My point is that the psychic ship is very much a threat if left alone. And on larger maps (like default + 1) the green ship can land far enough that it will never have any influence on you, the plant dying radius will never reach you.

Then again it doesn't have a reward worth 3000 silver.

hwfanatic

Quote from: Shurp on May 03, 2016, 07:50:35 PM
Yes, it does. It reduces the plants' lifetime so they die before they reach maturity, or at least potato does; I was unable to determine with certainty if rice manages to grow fully. It's a bit unclear why a poison ship would affect hydroponics and by which mechanic, but I think the added threat brings at leat some urgency to the problem, which is nice.

killer117

I thought it was weak and unthreatening too. I left it for ages. Then suddenly, at the height of the harvest season, funny enough my first major harvest season, with little food left, and my colony really early on. I had an assult rifle, pdw and gladius. Great odds against mechanoids. So of course i go to fight it. Of course the massacre that ensues wipes out my colony. Safe scumming to the rescue. But if it happens at the right time it is really dangerous, but the rest of the time its more annoying
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

skullywag

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 04, 2016, 05:11:48 AM
My point is that the psychic ship is very much a threat if left alone. And on larger maps (like default + 1) the green ship can land far enough that it will never have any influence on you, the plant dying radius will never reach you.

Then again it doesn't have a reward worth 3000 silver.

The "snow" radius that spawns is not the area of effect of killing plants, people confuse this all the time, the plant killing can effect the whole map eventually.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Grizzlyadamz

Alright, hang on, I'm confused. A green ship part crashed just the other day and began emitting a psychic drone. Nothing new I thought, but then all the plants started dying and soil turned to gravel.
Is that new for the psychic ship, or was that a poison ship?