"Advanced" Water

Started by tylers2001, May 03, 2016, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylers2001

I have been throwing this idea around for a while and the bulk of it is just adding flowing water. By flowing water I don't mean something that you are able to ride your boat along and drink a beer, I mean something as simple as a small creek that flows through the map from one end to another. It would obviously slow down the pawns,but only a small amount, and might even get them a mood debuf like "Im wet. Its uncomfortable." or if they spend more time in the water "Im soaked and now my clothes are wet as well.". This wont do much -in my head at least- but it will still be an inconvenience. Later on the colonists might need to be hydrated as well. From what I know in coding -which is very little- it doesn't seem like that tough of a job for the great gods of Ludeon. Thanks for the consideration of reading.
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

Boston

Quote from: tylers2001 on May 03, 2016, 06:17:09 PM
I have been throwing this idea around for a while and the bulk of it is just adding flowing water. By flowing water I don't mean something that you are able to ride your boat along and drink a beer, I mean something as simple as a small creek that flows through the map from one end to another. It would obviously slow down the pawns,but only a small amount, and might even get them a mood debuf like "Im wet. Its uncomfortable." or if they spend more time in the water "Im soaked and now my clothes are wet as well.". This wont do much -in my head at least- but it will still be an inconvenience. Later on the colonists might need to be hydrated as well. From what I know in coding -which is very little- it doesn't seem like that tough of a job for the great gods of Ludeon. Thanks for the consideration of reading.

In real life, the availability of water often dictated where a colony would develop. From drinking water, to defense, to powering industry (mills, electric dynamos, etc), all had an effect on colonial life.

Hell, if the devs want, getting wet in a cold environment should be deadly. Hypothermia is a thing, and can set in in under 60 seconds in Taiga.

MAKAIROSI

@tylers2001

You are right. Although it's been a long time since i first played the game i remember that i picked a site close to a river due to water availability - i thought that was crucial. I then discovered water actually was a disadvantage (you can't build walls on it, it does nothing to aid the colonists, it's just dead space in your colony). This is completely unrealistic. However i think there are other issues that desperately need to be looked at before water. What i'm hinting at is, of course, the "neverending" aspect or "late game escape" that i talked about in another thread. But it seriously needs to be addressed because here we have hungry, ill, sad people who by some amazing coincidence have eradicated their (every) need for the most valuable resource in any planet: water.