Psyonic ships are defitively over powered

Started by wbonxx, May 04, 2016, 02:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbonxx

Ok I play at level extreme.
But I manage for 2 years everything in an extremely smooth way. Raids are easy and so on.

But when it comes to psyonic ships, they present an overwhelming challenge.

I just lost a game, I had 4 good soldiers, 12 colonist, 7 turrets in front plus defences plus think walls.
They went easily through the turrets. Then set everything on fire. I had managed to kill one skinny before damaging enough the ship to trigger their "rage attack".

The centipedes have too many hp. They had vulcan (sort of fire granade launcers). One shot you get on fire you are dead.
The skinny robots can one shot and have a giant range. 
Melee they all kill you with 2-3 hit.

My feeling is just that the P.ships are overpowered compared to all the rest that is rather easy.

Tacticts to make it doable are crazy boring, like going with one two snipers and do cover and shot cover and shot for 1h of real time.

GarettZriwin

Quote from: wbonxx on May 04, 2016, 02:34:01 PM
Ok I play at level extreme.
But I manage for 2 years everything in an extremely smooth way. Raids are easy and so on.

But when it comes to psyonic ships, they present an overwhelming challenge.

I just lost a game, I had 4 good soldiers, 12 colonist, 7 turrets in front plus defences plus think walls.
They went easily through the turrets. Then set everything on fire. I had managed to kill one skinny before damaging enough the ship to trigger their "rage attack".

The centipedes have too many hp. They had vulcan (sort of fire granade launcers). One shot you get on fire you are dead.
The skinny robots can one shot and have a giant range. 
Melee they all kill you with 2-3 hit.

My feeling is just that the P.ships are overpowered compared to all the rest that is rather easy.

Tacticts to make it doable are crazy boring, like going with one two snipers and do cover and shot cover and shot for 1h of real time.
- Josh, move your lazy ass, wake mechs up with your sniper rifle.
- Okay boss!
*Boink* *AI gets Mad*
- Boys, wreck bastards with mortars!

I don't think this solution will take long if you order mortars to fire at Ship, even if you won't destroy most of mechanoids they will be badly damaged and easy to destroy even with crappy survival rifles in field. If you really have at least one "good soldier" then I guess power armors and shields should not be a problem for you after 2 years(I get them at extreme randy in 1st year for everyone :P).

wbonxx

They are hard as hell.... even at early stages, during the first year.
The second year I had strong warriors, but no power armors. And believe me a good fortress.

They just feel over powered comprared to the rest that is quite easy, riders are ridiculous at difficulty extreme, in the second year.

Yes I tried with mortars but I had too few shells left.

GarettZriwin

Quote from: wbonxx on May 04, 2016, 04:24:26 PM
The second year I had strong warriors, but no power armors. And believe me a good fortress.

They just feel over powered comprared to the rest that is quite easy, riders are ridiculous at difficulty extreme, in the second year.

Welp, in this case anger bots and hope something good happens such as raiders being good distraction, you can also try to snipe ship around 50% but not below and trigger them when you are under attack from other faction, this way you have some meat to take the damage.

Justas love

U canmake shells at the machining table i belive, 10 steel for 1

wbonxx

Quote from: GarettZriwin on May 04, 2016, 04:43:39 PM
Quote from: wbonxx on May 04, 2016, 04:24:26 PM

Welp, in this case anger bots and hope something good happens such as raiders being good distraction, you can also try to snipe ship around 50% but not below and trigger them when you are under attack from other faction, this way you have some meat to take the damage.

I know there are ways around it. But thats a bit like cheating, like putting all aroud turrets before triggering it.

My point is centered around the fact that they are OP compared to all the rest that is easily manageable at the extreme level.

b0rsuk

Put 1 explosive IED trap on each corner of the ship. You can put more, but be aware you might cause a chain reaction when one is triggered, and the remaining bombs likely won't hit anything. Then once the machines come out, they will suffer lots of splash damage. Even Centipedes typically take 4+ hits from a single bomb.

wbonxx

This gives the feeling of an exploit - cheat .... I know it is possible but it is not much rewarding.

Would be interesting to define the ship as "ship felt from space".
Then inside there could be a reward or something else.

The ship could still have a psyonic AI, or bring a frozen colonist together with the 3 centipedes with inferno and 3 skinnies.

Just to prevent such exploits.

Illusion Distort

Just remember that in real life, it's easier to destroy a base with heavy fire from short range. You should fight mechs out in the field. Bringing a kill-bot with super weapons to your front door is just not a good idea.

Divinion

Couple of EMP Grenadiers shut them down fairly easily while the rest shoot for hours. 

Yes, they are tough, but I wouldn't say over powered.  Need the challenges and need the opportunity to learn better tactics to keep the high replay-ability.

Ace_livion

wonder why people use mortars on those ships.
i prefer placing mines around the ship and knocking on the door whit a single shot.
then i watch the firework and clean up.

GarettZriwin

Quote from: Ace_livion on May 05, 2016, 09:17:35 PM
wonder why people use mortars on those ships.
i prefer placing mines around the ship and knocking on the door whit a single shot.
then i watch the firework and clean up.

Colonists don't have to go anywhere, and we like the sound of artilerry barrage.  ;D

wbonxx

Tried again. The psionic ships need to be nerfed, at least at the extreme difficulty level.
They are too unbalanced compared to anything else.

I tried with 6 proximity mines, 30 artillery shots and good soldiers.
Didn't loose only because I managed to syncronize the release by triple missile on the ship (<half health) while a ride was going to occurr.... the cyborgs attack and run into the raid.
Still they killed 20men from the raid, 2 visitors, 1 colonist, 6 turrets and smashed into 2 layers of my walls. (they were 2 skinnies and two centipedes)

GarettZriwin

But losing is FUN! :P

Seriously though, what you expected from extreme threat on extreme difficulty? :-\

SuperCaffeineDude

Psionic ships are a pain in the butt, with poison ships you can seal them up and deal with at leisure, without wanting to teach you how to suck eggs in my Extreme Randy Random game my strat is generally to take advantage of the poor AI targeting.

So in a area I have my forces arrayed in a pretty linear fashion like this...

Ship: Inactive
Mines: If there's time
Tank Pawns: Personal shielded pawns behind some cover, with mr disposable with the best shield closest
Grenade Pawns: 1 EMP, and as many Frags as possible
Filler Pawns: Guys you can't arm with the above or below
Snipers Pawns: Only for high aim

So give the thing a knock with the grenades, maybe time it so grenades are thrown in a volley, with the EMP hitting just after the frags, the Mechs will spawn and aim at the closest targets, your "tanks" (micro manage their distance(NO MELEE) and keep them spread out), meanwhile target in this order...

Scythers
Fire Mech
Charge/Minigun Mechs

If you have the ability/time to box them in with some mines trigger them remotely (by shell/fast-runner) bringing them into your killbox, that is much better as the Scythers will naturally separate due to movement speed making the tanking position far more safe, as their guns take heavy chunks out of  colonist shield power.

As I said though they are a bit of a pain, and I find the context a bit at odds with the general premise of Rimworld, in that these robots use pseudo sciency psionics which can be deafened by tin-foil hats, eh... just lore wise I'd like it better if there was a high pitched scream coming from the ship, and that the event is so frequent over longer games doesn't help my enjoyment over what is otherwise a nice challenge.