Shot/cover - Tedious rutins,how to avoid repeating the same action

Started by wbonxx, May 04, 2016, 02:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbonxx

When you are getting too many bugs spowning in your hive-nest.

Or when you are attacking a psyonic ship.

Often it is necessary to end up micromanaging the combat shooting from behind a door then closing it or shooting getting out of range or shot and cover.

This takes a large amount of time.

Would be cool to have the colonist perform some advanced tactics. or to automatize this.

rexx1888

+1 to this. every idea that makes colonists more like actual people an less like little robots the better.

i want their survival behaviour to be dictated by their traits an skills, i want them to have aspirations an goals of their own that fit with them, i want them to be drafter, go to a fight, an then do stuff in that fight without micromanaging. the more agency an autonomy the characters have, the better. i mean, thats why they go berserk isnt it. i mean legit i have never seen someone so miserable that they turn around an try to murder people The Shining style, an yet its a regular thing in RW. I want my pawns to have some POSITIVE autonomy. i want them to be clever when i wasnt expecting it, to make sane decisions.

tl:dr micro management kills stories dead

Vaporisor

It would definitely make combat more interesting.  Like all things, it would have it's counter balance.  A more advanced player pawn means a more advanced NPC pawn and predators to counter and maintain challenge.  Ignoring the programming difficulties for it, that would make for some pretty intense firefights and if done right, an end to the autobox killzones.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

b0rsuk

I thought you were going to tell us how to automate these advanced tactics!

wbonxx

Could be just a behaveour cover/shot button.
When checked the colonist performs back and forward from a door, back and forward from a covered spot few tiles away. Not just around a corner how they do now.

Another possibility would be to select the two positions, cover and the position from where to shot.

But the main point is to avoid the repetition of the action by the user, gets a bit boring after a while.

firescythe

Repetition is actually your choice of tactic in there in order to reduce incoming damage. What do you expect from a shoot/cover button? A button to push will not reduce the repetition of action from you. It might also turn out a different solution would serve better. Like in-built "keep a distance when using sniper rifle", etc. Using cover is very complex and get even more complex if interacting with state-changing objects.

So if you have a very detailed plan on how-to, it is welcome.