How to deal with Toxic Fallout (Quill18 did it waaaaay wrong!)

Started by Chibiabos, May 05, 2016, 01:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devon_v

The TL; DR of this is: Sun Lamps are OP. I never farm outside.

Shurp

Not so OP when you look at the power requirements... it's actually a challenge to get several greenhouses going.  Which is one of the reasons I enjoy playing on cold maps.  It's too easy to farm in temperate climes.  I can just cover half the map in hops.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Quote from: nuschler22 on May 05, 2016, 05:17:33 PMOn a side note, I, too, felt the first post was a bit disorganized and repeating (which I'm sure I often do myself when making topics).  I skipped to see the conversation about toxic fallout to see if I could learn anything that way.

Toxic Fallout is an excellent way to Boomalope-proof your map :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

PhenomTaker

All this talk about toxic fallout, and I didn't get one since the implementation and over 100h of testing and playing... (without via debug) :D

The-MathMog

Quote from: PhenomTaker on May 05, 2016, 11:47:12 PM
All this talk about toxic fallout, and I didn't get one since the implementation and over 100h of testing and playing... (without via debug) :D
Consider yourself lucky then! :D
I've had two so far, in a 3 year old colony on extreme randy icesheet. And the second one was succeeded with 3 raids, in two days! :D

But having more hydroponics than you need,  plus a large chinchilla farm, does make it a bit easier!

Aatxe360

Quote from: Shurp on May 05, 2016, 04:43:52 AM
Question: what's this about toxic fallout killing trees?  I just got hit by one on a boreal forest... it came, it went, all the grass is dead but there are still plenty of trees around.  Although not as many as before, maybe it kills some but not all depending on how long it lasts?

Anyway, yes, farming indoors with a sunlamp in soil works just fine.  Rimworld needs an irrigation mechanic :)

[edit] I looked at my map again.  I noticed that 40 squares from the map edge is untouched, lots of trees and grass there.  And inside of that... wow, I must have lost something like 75% of my trees.

You're lucky it didn't last long.  Most players aren't.

samfuz

i personally have never had an issue with this i play on challenge on randy random because ive always got an absolute TON of food

Chibiabos

Quote from: Aatxe360 on May 06, 2016, 09:26:39 AM

You're lucky it didn't last long.  Most players aren't.

Yeah ... I've had a dozen instances of Toxic Fallout.  Just had one that only lasted 5 days or so ..... all the rest have been more than a season, a few were around a whole year.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Jonofwrath

Quote from: Devon_v on May 05, 2016, 05:28:26 PM
The TL; DR of this is: Sun Lamps are OP. I never farm outside.

They need 1600 watts - providing power could be tricky.

carbon

I think my biggest critique of the original post is that it assumes all the prep work should be done just as the fallout hits, which is quite risky and sub-optimal. There's no reason why most if not all of the work couldn't be done ahead of time.

Currently, my preferred A13 build order is:

1) Modest sized room for colonists to sleep (with small section for prisoners)
2) Walk-in freezer/kitchen big enough for at least a couple seasons worth of food.
3) Indoor heated grow area with dedicated solar power supply for lighting.
4) All the other stuff...

Assuming you can put #1 thru #3 together in the first season or so, fallout really isn't a big deal.

-----

It's also worth pointing out that boomalope and boomrats can be safely hunted by a single colonist when it rains or snows. Little to no micromanagement needed.

lilymortis

Here's what I do, (and I always play knowing I'm going to be hit with toxic fallout at some point), first of all I plant crops around the geysers, and then wall them off. This saves my crops being burnt by raiders and eaten by wild animals, also means I can roof them off in winter and carry on growing. My only bug bear with sunlamps is that if you unroof and forget to dismantle them, they explode in the rain. I'd like to see outside versions. If I've got indoor space that I've not put flooring on, sometimes I'll stick a small crop in these places too.

I'll set an inside zone for the colonists and tamed animals, once someone gets minor toxicity, they'll be restricted. If I'm on a biome with big game, I will keep a close eye on them dying off and will collect the corpses. None of my colonists have ever died from eating their meat (I play on freeplay or basebuilder, so I don't know if it changes at higher levels).

I build outside, though I like to play on mountainous and build between them, I can't be fagged with bug infestations, so I'm careful not to cause any if I can help it. I once built an actual hamlet, with colonists having little houses, which looked really pretty until toxic fallout. I was racing around building walls and pillars for days whilst keeping one eye on colonist medical tabs. Not fun, these days I try to connect everything up so it can be roofed off very quickly.

Chibiabos

Quote from: carbon on May 17, 2016, 11:27:03 AM
I think my biggest critique of the original post is that it assumes all the prep work should be done just as the fallout hits, which is quite risky and sub-optimal. There's no reason why most if not all of the work couldn't be done ahead of time.

No, it merely assumes most people don't.  I myself do try to build and prepare ahead of time.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Pudgy McFudge

Quote from: Chibiabos on May 05, 2016, 01:41:56 AM
words

You know going out in toxic fallout isn't a death sentence. Just build roofed corridors between your dorms, stockpiles and production buildings. Set the allowed area to said buildings and your farming area. Send out the least poisoned dudes to snag carcasses. You can let your dudes go out to farm and they will heal up while they sleep.

There I just made a better post than you and no one feels like they're getting lectured while reading it.

harkov

Quote from: Chibiabos on May 05, 2016, 01:41:56 AM
solar panels do NOT block wind turbines!
oh nice, I did not know that. Even went so far to floor the area in front/behind the wind turbine.
I enjoyed reading your post btw.