Geothermal

Started by Lamilac, February 09, 2014, 06:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamilac

Just wondering if geothermal is supposed to produce power, even at night?  Presently no power comes from geothermal at night (still see steam coming from vent).  Was wondering if this is intended (doesn't make sense since this should be a continuous energy generator) or if this is an issue?

Evul

Might be to much power running try toggle off all doors or lights

Nasikabatrachus

Geothermal should provide power at all times, unless it's disconnected or there is a solar flare. Click on any electricity-using building or piece of furniture to check the Connected Rate. If the number is negative, your colony is consuming more electricity than it produces.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vastin

Geothermal isn't interrupted by night or eclipses - so you either have a break in your connection somewhere, like battle or fire damage to a power line, or a door that was providing a key connection got busted down or the like - or it's a solar flare.

Which reminds me at some point we could really use an advanced technology that helps provide some minimal protection against flares, so that you can shield key rooms from the effect, or continue to use/generate power, but at an increased risk of shorts and fires.

Total shutdown is pretty crippling currently, particularly at the frequency with which they tend to occur.

Coenmcj

I just don't understand how a burst of electromagnetic radiation, UV or heat could disable a Geothermal generator from providing power.

Either the rimworlds are VERY close to the star, or the star is rather large/energetic indeed..
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Lamilac

No solar flare, no unconnected walls, doors, etc.  At night my batteries do not charge from geothermal.  I'll have to get some pictures or video to show.

Btw, are geothermal generators an batteries inside rock supposed to be knocked out by solar flares?  I can understand exposed being knocked out, but rock, especially thick rock, should provide protection.

Stickle

Quote from: Lamilac on February 10, 2014, 12:15:17 AM
No solar flare, no unconnected walls, doors, etc.  At night my batteries do not charge from geothermal.  I'll have to get some pictures or video to show.

Btw, are geothermal generators an batteries inside rock supposed to be knocked out by solar flares?  I can understand exposed being knocked out, but rock, especially thick rock, should provide protection.

Do you have solar panels, too? If you do, it might just seem like your geothermal generator isn't charging your batteries because all of its power is being used with the solar panels out for the night. Then when the panels come back on in the morning they push up your power production past your needs and the batteries charge.

If it's really none of what everyone else suggested, this is all I can think of... I have never had a geothermal plant not work just because it's night time.