Scaring

Started by Bairne, May 05, 2016, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bairne

I can understand cuts and such, even from some stupid squirrel, causing a scar, but with the number of fistfights the social system has introduced I'm running into a problem with bruises causing permanent scaring - particularly with the eyes (an obvious issue.)

Is it really reasonable to have a 5/10 scar on an eye from a light orange bruise that change to a scar before the patient could even make it to a bed?

Edited for emphasis.

GarettZriwin

Not to mention its hard to PUNCH eye...

nuschler22

It's a bit unbalanced. 

I guess there is no boxing in the RimWorld galaxy, because they'd all be blind after a few fights.

b0rsuk

And people are savage enough to go after fellow colonist's eyes and cripple him for life.

FalconBR

I just recruited a beatiful 21 years old raider with great stats.
She lost both eyes in a fist fight.
I will buy her bionic eyes, but dude, she is almost blind at the moment and she is on cleaning duty because she can´t do anything because of just ONE fist fight.

Fist fights must be balance for sure.

I just have one question, if someone have a power claw and gets in a fist fight... what happens?

GarettZriwin

Quote from: FalconBR on May 05, 2016, 12:56:15 PM
I just recruited a beatiful 21 years old raider with great stats.
She lost both eyes in a fist fight.
I will buy her bionic eyes, but dude, she is almost blind at the moment and she is on cleaning duty because she can´t do anything because of just ONE fist fight.

Fist fights must be balance for sure.

I just have one question, if someone have a power claw and gets in a fist fight... what happens?
My colonist with bionic arm did not deal 7dmg/hit so I guess its only normal fist. I don't remember if he was using only one fist or both(And bionic arm suddenly turned into normal in this fight?) though...

Boston

I mean.... in real life it is actually really easy to cause substantial damage to someones eyes in a fist-fight. Look up "thumb gouging" (no, don't).  It is really easy to do that accidentally if you are flailing around with your fists.

There is a saying," The eyes are the groin of the head"

In the rural US in the 18th/19th centuries, there was actual an epidemic of thumb-gouging-caused blindness due to backwoods fistfights. People would get pissed off at each other, square up, and then "accidentally" tear out the opponents eye.

Negocromn

Quote from: Boston on May 05, 2016, 01:05:48 PM
I mean.... in real life it is actually really easy to cause substantial damage to someones eyes in a fist-fight. Look up "thumb gouging" (no, don't).  It is really easy to do that accidentally if you are flailing around with your fists.

There is a saying," The eyes are the groin of the head"

In the rural US in the 18th/19th centuries, there was actual an epidemic of thumb-gouging-caused blindness due to backwoods fistfights. People would get pissed off at each other, square up, and then "accidentally" tear out the opponents eye.

source?

from personal experience and from what I've seen on the internet and so on, I must say it's certainly not common for people to hurt their eyes in a fight

Bairne

Well, the eye socket actually does a really good job of preventing damage to the eye from anything blunt. Granted, someone purposely trying to put out said eye with a gouge would still do damage, but you're far, far more likely to end up with extensive bruising and swelling around the eye than permanent damage to the eye itself.

FalconBR

All those mma fights and not a single eye with permanent damage.
Those colonists really must be mean to always  permanent hurt an eye during a fist fight

b0rsuk

Quote from: Boston on May 05, 2016, 01:05:48 PM
I mean.... in real life it is actually really easy to cause substantial damage to someones eyes in a fist-fight.
If you're actively trying to blind a person, yes. But most of us won't try to gouge another person's eye just because of an argument.

pktongrimworld

all it takes is 1 knuckle to hit the eye...

> shaped fist vs
l shaped fist

CheeseGromit

I've seen quite a lot of eye scars in my current game as well. They also seem to count as 'disfigured' with -15 social penalty, resulting in more fights. I'm waiting for my first colonist with two scarred eyes.

Bairne

Quote from: pktongrimworld on May 06, 2016, 01:19:34 AM
all it takes is 1 knuckle to hit the eye...

> shaped fist vs
l shaped fist

If you're talking about a raised metacarpal knuckle, give that a try sometime and let me know which breaks first, the eye or your finger.  ::)

Generally a fist will stop once it hits the eyesocket, thus stopping any knuckle on a normal fist from doing much to the eye itself. If someone raises a finger to expose the point they're actually much more likely to smash into bone and break the finger, it makes the punch very awkward to do, and the contact itself will generally be enough to push the finger back into place regardless of what someone is trying to do with them.

As a proof of that, make a fist with a raised knuckle and punch your open hand. You'll notice a brief second of contact before the finger is pushed back into place (or much further and quite painfully out of place,) and you'll have to adjust how you try to hit the hand, landing along the knuckle instead of along the metacarpals and the knuckles where they connect to the carpal bones.

Bairne

Mkay. After some more playing around it does seem to be at least somewhat preventable. The key trait seems to be the abrasive trait. Most fights, it seems to all boil down to this one pawn that keeps insulting people - typically those who are disfigured already. There are others than do it here and there, and there are issues with certain traits (hard worker vs lazy and such), but hopefully arranging an "accident" for that one will give my colony a little peace. And fewer eye gouges.