[1.0] One Big Family (updated 19.10.2018)

Started by Orion, May 05, 2016, 10:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Description

Have you been waiting years and years for your brother-in-law to show up and he just walks past, just to be never seen again? Plot twist!

One Big Family solves this problem by changing the odds! Everyone is related... somehow, right!?

That spacer you found in a 2000 year old casket? Plot twist! Turns out to be the son you never knew of!
Just settled down, built a little house with your wife and kids? Plot twist! Your step-mother comes on a visit with your secret lover who is also your wife's daughter to sell you dog meat!
Getting raided by a horde of savages? Plot twist! They brought their whole family tree, including your evil sister who turns out to be their leader AND grand mother!

After all, we're now One Big Family!
Now with less illogical plottwists!

Instructions
You can customize this mod in the mod options. This mod changes what happens when a new pawn is created (existing pawns are only affected passively).
The new pawn will receive a random amount of relationships that are "plausible" according to vanilla rules. The relationships will be with other pawns. If you have "allow colonists" on, these can be your pawns as well.

This mod can be added at any time, without creating a new game.

Compatibility
There are rumors that Fluffy's relationship diagram can't handle the massive amount of Plot twist! Try at your own discretion. Works fine for me. Mostly.

Changelog

1.0 - 19.10.2018
- Updated to 1.0

0.19 - 29.08.2018
- Updated to B19

0.18 - 10.06.2018
- Updated to B18

0.17 - 21.08.2017
- Updated to A17
- New: Amount of random relationships can be customized in mod options
- New: New relationships with colonists can be disabled in mod options

0.16 - 05.01.2017
- Updated to A16
- Tweak: Nerfed - won't create new relationships to colonists you already have (there will still be hidden ones)

0.15 - 29.08.2016
- Updated for A15

0.14 - 20.07.2016
- Updated for A14

0.13 - 05.05.2016
- Initial release

Author
Orion

Download
Dropbox
Steam Workshop

How to install
- Make sure you have HugsLib installed.
- Delete old folder of this mod (One Big Family).
- Unzip the contents into your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game and restart the game.

Grynnreaper

Looks like the potential for brother cousins and uncle dads will shoot up significantly, should call it the Springer mod lol

Kaballah

Could you post a screenshot or two of how the relationship diagram comes out?

RagingLoony

Quote from: Kaballah on May 05, 2016, 01:12:09 PM

Something like this.

Orion

Quote from: Kaballah on May 05, 2016, 01:12:09 PM
;D
The diagram looks just like before - or gives an error. Maybe it has problems displaying some very uncommon relationships.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

LanMc

This should be fun!!!  I can't wait for all the...  Plot Twists! 
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

Illusion Distort

pktongrimworld

DFC

"OH GOD I KILLED MY AUNTIE, HALF MY FAMILY, THE HABSBURG AND NOW I AM GOING TO KILL MY KIDS" must be what is going through the mind of my colonist right before they broke from the tremendous mood debuffs from using this mod.

joaonunes

What do you mean with the "Works fine for me. Mostly" regarding fluffy relations?
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

Garr1971

the game suddenly turns into melodramatic Indian cinema, with dances, songs and finding loved ones ... "Luke, I am your father!" - Shouts through recess pirate and throws a grenade)
Sometimes funny, but more often a hindrance.

Fluffy (l2032)

just wanted to say that yeah, the relations thing is not really set up for this many relations. The good news is, you can tweak it!

Go to menu -> mod options -> fluffy relations, scroll all the way down. Set the repulsive force to something higher ( anywhere from 500 to 50k, depending on just how many relations you have ), or set the attractive force lower - both should mean pawns get more spread out (assuming that the problem is bunching pawns.) If you're getting 'explosions', try lowering the temperature.

Orion

Quote from: Garr1971 on May 17, 2016, 05:29:07 AM
the game suddenly turns into melodramatic Indian cinema, with dances, songs and finding loved ones ... "Luke, I am your father!" - Shouts through recess pirate and throws a grenade)
Sometimes funny, but more often a hindrance.
Family feuds are the most interesting wars ;)

Personally I find combat more interesting now: During a raid you will want to shoot the non-family first, and hope the rest runs for the hills... or else wrestle them down and take them prisoner.

But yeah, is it realistic or not that you get a debuff if you kill a family member that hated you so much they wanted to burn your village to the ground? If you read old books, it's apparently often perfectly fine, and maybe should even give a buff ("I killed my evil father!" or "My brother wanted to overthrow me, but I got him first!").

I'm considering adding that you at least don't get a debuff if your colonist didn't like the related pawn. On the other hand, I think it's actually a good balance, since having so many related visitors gives a big boost when using the Hospitality mod. And it saves me the work :P

Jdalt40

Hey Orion, are you able to add an extra download link? Dropbox is down today for no reason and I am not able to download your awesome mod!

Fluffy's creations is more awesome though...

Jdalt40

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on May 17, 2016, 01:43:59 PM
just wanted to say that yeah, the relations thing is not really set up for this many relations. The good news is, you can tweak it!

Go to menu -> mod options -> fluffy relations, scroll all the way down. Set the repulsive force to something higher ( anywhere from 500 to 50k, depending on just how many relations you have ), or set the attractive force lower - both should mean pawns get more spread out (assuming that the problem is bunching pawns.) If you're getting 'explosions', try lowering the temperature.
Also where can I find that? I looked everywhere and I can't find mod options or anything relating to that.