[A13] - Darkness Revamp (v1.0) - Now with addons !

Started by cram, May 05, 2016, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Garr, stop being a dick and stay out of this thread if the only thing that comes out of your mouth is negative. I won't be repeating myself.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Nanao-kun

Hopefully the brighter version isn't as debilitating to the player. I ended up just debug killing a siege during a nighttime snow because the screen was literally entirely black besides the snow effect. Couldn't tell if I was telling them to move in front of a tree or standing in the middle of a marsh. Or on the other side of a mountain.

cram

Quote from: Nanao-kun on May 07, 2016, 01:53:32 PM
Hopefully the brighter version isn't as debilitating to the player. I ended up just debug killing a siege during a nighttime snow because the screen was literally entirely black besides the snow effect. Couldn't tell if I was telling them to move in front of a tree or standing in the middle of a marsh. Or on the other side of a mountain.

Hi !
Our team is working on a cool addon which will give the player the opportunity to shoot out flares with the help of special mortars.
If you have any ideas about the mod or its (future) addons, let us know !

silentlord

The one thing i always wanted when i first encountered the original, was more light. but not to me, to the enemy pawns.

as stated before i love the darkness mod as is perfect for immersion, out in the wilds or countryside its pitch black without the light pollution of human technology, so was awesome when i saw this mod before.

the thing i wanted was for the enemy pawns to have some kind of torches; 1. makes sense for immersion as they can't see crap. 2. so i can see them better, rather than rely on the red text.
at first i didn't think this was a possible goal, as no other mod i'd seen employed anything along those lines, until the aforementioned Rikki mining & co which added torch-helmets.

so if anything i would like an addon that gives the enemies torches via equipment. :-)

however again dunno if this can be done, as this would force them all to wear the same gear item for the light, would break immersion. doh

however the idea of flares is an excellent one, that purely player pawns or AI pawns too?

Nanao-kun

Hmm, the glowstones from the Powerless! mod could be useful in this kind of situation. Having sieges build several of it's glowstone pylons would be nice.

AllenWL

Quote from: cram on May 07, 2016, 02:11:39 PM

Hi !
Our team is working on a cool addon which will give the player the opportunity to shoot out flares with the help of special mortars.
Flares sounds nice, but a more stable way of lighting a certain area would be nice, like a searchlight that shines a bright light in front of it, or a outdoor lamp as powerful as a sun lamp, or a 'flashlight' melee weapon that gives light when equipped or something.

Something like a wood lamp that lasts longer than a torch and doesn't go out in rain or anything, but needs steel to make would also be nice.

dismar

Quote from: Igabod on May 05, 2016, 03:36:02 PM
Quote from: Mechanoid Hivemind on May 05, 2016, 03:19:02 PM
Marked for the future,

Id like to see out side lights that won't blow a hole in my wall when it rains so i can see out side
Can't wait. This and that! fun.
Keep an eye out for my Advanced Lamps mod to be updated to a13 in the next few days.

cram

Quote from: AllenWL on May 07, 2016, 10:44:25 PM
Quote from: cram on May 07, 2016, 02:11:39 PM

Hi !
Flares sounds nice, but a more stable way of lighting a certain area would be nice, like a searchlight that shines a bright light in front of it, or a outdoor lamp as powerful as a sun lamp, or a 'flashlight' melee weapon that gives light when equipped or something.

Something like a wood lamp that lasts longer than a torch and doesn't go out in rain or anything, but needs steel to make would also be nice.

Hi, I've been looking through the game to make our own type of light, the problems seems to be that to make the type of light you want is located in the shaders part, since all the shaders used are simple circle of light, i have to make my own and use it as i want, thing is i can open and make a specific shader, but i have absolutely no programs to tell me how it looks like, unless i try and use rimworld to tell me how it looks like, i tried Unity but its damn too big for me to understand kinda easily.

cram

Quote from: silentlord on May 07, 2016, 07:38:14 PM
The one thing i always wanted when i first encountered the original, was more light. but not to me, to the enemy pawns.

as stated before i love the darkness mod as is perfect for immersion, out in the wilds or countryside its pitch black without the light pollution of human technology, so was awesome when i saw this mod before.

the thing i wanted was for the enemy pawns to have some kind of torches; 1. makes sense for immersion as they can't see crap. 2. so i can see them better, rather than rely on the red text.
at first i didn't think this was a possible goal, as no other mod i'd seen employed anything along those lines, until the aforementioned Rikki mining & co which added torch-helmets.

so if anything i would like an addon that gives the enemies torches via equipment. :-)

however again dunno if this can be done, as this would force them all to wear the same gear item for the light, would break immersion. doh

however the idea of flares is an excellent one, that purely player pawns or AI pawns too?

Hi, for now thats only player-handled flares, that will use mortars,
Well yeah, the thing is that if raiders all come with the same equipment, that would be dumb, but i thought about shoulder lamps which could be cool.

hegemont

silentlord

Quote from: cram on May 08, 2016, 02:34:21 AM
Quote from: silentlord on May 07, 2016, 07:38:14 PMHi, for now thats only player-handled flares, that will use mortars,
Well yeah, the thing is that if raiders all come with the same equipment, that would be dumb, but i thought about shoulder lamps which could be cool.

yeah that was my thoughts as well, all having the same gear for lights is not a route to go down, as theres alot of mods adding good looking equipment etc...

but shoulder lamps, damn thats a perfect idea.... holy crap actually that would be insane, im a huge Aliens franchise fan, and of course gotta play with the USCM mod here, if you can add shoulder lamps then damn! thats just like the movie Colonial marines. :-)

other than that i really can't think of anthing else, the mod is perfect as is. i literally can not play without the darkness mod.

cram

Added a cool preview to the new addon (in the addon part) we are working on !

killer117

So glad this got updated. Wanted to use with zombie apocalypse mod ages ago but was too outdated. Was wondering if u could consider some omni dirctional spotlights and allowing raider to spaw witn a few people spread out in thier group with the torches you made, and if u could add them building a campfire in thier siege area. Just to up the visability of enimies plus have some noce realism. Know not all might be possible but had to ask.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

panggul_mas

Quote from: killer117 on May 12, 2016, 09:12:12 AM
So glad this got updated. Wanted to use with zombie apocalypse mod ages ago but was too outdated. Was wondering if u could consider some omni dirctional spotlights and allowing raider to spaw witn a few people spread out in thier group with the torches you made, and if u could add them building a campfire in thier siege area. Just to up the visability of enimies plus have some noce realism. Know not all might be possible but had to ask.

Funny you should mention that! Our next lighting add-on is a flare launcher (type of mortar) which will launch flares that will temporarily illuminate an area, allowing for suspenseful midnight siege camp counter-attacks and the like.

Next on the agenda will be spotlights.

Adding a campfire to the siege camp blueprint shouldn't be too hard, and is a good idea! Its crazy what a different role lighting plays when the nights are actually dark.

admiralKew

Will the flare shell/mortar be compatible with CR's 'unified' mortar system?