More events? (event suggestions)

Started by 00petar00, May 05, 2016, 12:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

00petar00

I feel that game doesn't have enough events/surprises, in the latest version i've been getting heaters/coolers/doors breaking all the time, that event happened 5-8 times in a row before getting a raid..
It should just be reduced the chance of it happening or removed from showing as an event and just  randomly happens and colonists just fix it.

First idea i had is to have connected events, everyone has had a moment when solar flare hits and raiders attack you, what if there was a chance of this happening together and not just randomly?
It could work with anything and some events where you get them together could be more fun or deadly.

My event suggestions (i may have taken ideas from some other people, but mostly mine):

1.FOV event, If FOV will never be a permanent thing in Rimworld, it would be nice to have it as an event.
But not just ordinary random FOV but with my suggestion of connecting 5-10 events to FOV event, where one or two events are chosen randomly to go with FOV event, raiders/cargo pods or even about rescuing people, so you'd have to send colonists out to find what's happening.
I personally think that FOV event connected to other events would feel like it belongs to rimworld and it would be really fun to have it.

I feel that there's not enough unique threats, i feel that we need moar!
Only ranged or persistent threats are ancient ship crash/bugs and sieges.

2. Outpost threat - Tribespeople for example would come and make an outpost near your base and constantly send people over to their outpost on your map unless you kill them all. They will steal crops if they are outside or cut your trees/bring their wood and make an outpost out of wood or normal walls so that you can't just burn their wooden walls. They will send people over and try to take over your area and if you come close to any of them, they'd possibly run if they are alone? They could send a few people every few days to attack you and so on.
It just  feels more natural if tribespeople did something like this.
There's just so many ideas for this possible threat..

3. Stopping a fight between colonists? event could go like this:
"Squirrel and Sea have started arguing, better send your most convincing colonist to try and calm them down before they start fighting!"
I just feel that in bad condition/ if their family dies or they are constantly low on mood and it could turn out real bad if they disfigure eachother and fight over and over and just become uglier and uglier to cause more  fights.
There should be a limit to what a  social guy can do, depending on his skill if he's 20 on social he should be able to stop them unless they have -80 opinion of eachother.  Also for there to be a chance for both of them to turn on the social guy who is trying to stop them from fighting. Would be fun if your most social guy got disfigured because he tried to stop a fight.

I also feel that if their opinion of eachother is so bad, they should fight to death, instead of ruining eachother slowly, would rather lose one colonist and it would also make it harder for people with few colonists, make them really focus on who is really having bad optinion of eachother and send them to different jobs in different areas so they rarely talk.

3(1)(Didn't want to confuse the readers and change it now that there have been replies to this thread, so i'll just add (1) at the end, made a mistake and used number 3 two times..):
Hate to death: (my naming sucks, oh well): If a colonist's opinion of another colonist reaches -80 or -85, there should be a chance of this event appearing and having one of the colonists attack the other and fight to death, even use guns that they carry.. (as they don't use them in normal social fights).

4.Connected event to Manhunter pack.I feel that manhunters are just food delivery these days and can save you but it makes it much easier with them, especially with the new way of using traps with doors, even though traps will probably get fixed in the next version, i feel that manhunter packs are mostly food delivery unless they are insanely big, but there's still no risk as colonists can survive without going outside the base, in most cases people build hydroponics or just remove roof so they are totally useless, this could work with bugs too.
Chance for them to become mad and start attacking walls, would be connected event and it would force you to think things though, you should focus on killing them or hoping that this event does not happen. It could depend on their condition, as i have not played on ice sheet yet, i think that they just deliver food to your doors there? Tell me if i am wrong, i will probably play ice sheet when visitors are finally able to survive without dying and manage to get to your base to trade and leave not just deliver tons of items to you. This should even have higher priority to happen if manhunter pack is freezing to death.

5.Positive event about resetting bad mood? I understand that bad mood is a good thing to  have, especially if you want to challange yourself, but in the latest update i keep getting family members as raiders, and it lasts like what? half a year? and they are really bad usually, there should be a low chance of an event happening once a year or two to reset mood, so that we may at least hold some hope in the colonists, you almost have to kill the colonist if he gets 2 family members dead, they are going to fight other people and be dazed for half a year or go berserk.. These  colonists are screwed for half a year, no point in keeping them unless they have really high skills.

6.Small threat event, your animal that guards a colonist, going mad (connected to raids) If raid is happening and you are going to fight them, just when a fight is about to begin, an animal that is guarding your colonist turns mad and starts attacking the colonist that's supposed to be protected by said animal.

I'll possibly write more suggestions about events, but i wanted to know what other players think, also you could pitch in and suggest some interesting events in this thread or just comment on mine.

I am also really grateful if you have read everything here..

CabbageFoot

1. What's FOV? i'm not the only one who doesn't know righT?!

2. Why would any one ever set up camp 10 meters away from another camp when you know how large these rimworld planets are. This scenario seems ridiculous, sry to disagree.

3. Not bad, i support this. Though I think the chance to stop the fight should always be possible just less likely, should be a roll. Skill thresholds make no sense for non-crafting checks.

3(1). Fight to the dealth!? Never mind, i hate you.

4. Not sold, man hunters are deadly early game because outdoor farming is more prevelent and gear is worse, but later on no number of animals can beat a group of guys in pulse rifles unless its a million of them, but i havn't seen massive manhunter packs yet.

5. Meh, just deal with it, shit happens, Ive got 3 colonists with muscle parasites, they cant do anything, all the do is sleep and eat and walk around before realizing they need to sleep again, and all day they are cranky because they are both in pain and sick. I think death of family adds flavor, alternatively, you might be able to sick dogs on that family member as they come in to knock them out and covert them to your colony, if they are a spouse this could mean sexy time mood bonuses ;b

6. If one of my hounds went crazy in the middle of my other 8 hounds it would be an automatic KO ;b I don't like this suggestion on principle because most of my pets have a bond with my beast master and it would be weird for them to turn on him. Man he cries a lot after a fight that goes bad :( Dogs are really effective decoys, knock out punch bots, and haulers, they put colonists with melee weapons to shame ;b

Also, in the case that an animal is NOT with the beast master he is with a colonist that he made a bond with because mood benefits, it still wouldn't make sense for the dog to go nuts. I would throw this suggestion out the window.

ArguedPiano

I have to agree with CabbageFoot here. What exactly IS a FOV event? A google search only showed up "Field of View" or "Fear of Vagina"  <-- Urban Dictionary special
Both hilarious types of events to be had.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

00petar00

1.FOV - Field of vision/fog of war, whatever you want to call it. You will only be able to see what your colonists see.
Possible addition is what i have noticed in other threads is instead of completely explaining event, you'd get:
"You hear loud footsteps as if big number of people are passing nearby" or something similar, and you don't know if they are traders or raiders, that could be revealing too much information though.

2.Strategic reasons, you set up a camp close to the enemy and defend it, send reinforcements from your main camp and  fight them over a longer periods of time.

3(1). Just noticed i have used number three two times lol, anyway fight to the death, makes you watch out for your colonists social thoughts and how much they hate eachother, maybe not get killed outright at -80 social relation, but attack with guns, if one gets incapacitated it would be good, if not you're just unlucky.

4. Obviously needs to be balanced if the event is introduced to the game, yes there's a lot of manhunters early, and i said that it is a chance for it to happen, not to happen all the time. If you're unlucky it'll happen, if not it won't.

5. Bad mood that lasts for 6 months is bad, i can understand muscle parasites as it doesn't just directly add bad mood, you can install painkiller or deal with it some other way. But you get a bad mood because your grandfather died while trying to kill you? what's the point of that, i understand that people value their family members but if my a family member tried to kill me, i wouldn't be sad if he died, maybe a bit -5 mood.

6.Dogs are human's best friend in a way, they should have this reduced, more focused on other animals that are wild by nature. It would be fun if we had things like that into the game, and yes animal bond died bad mood is really bad too, i also am against that big mood loss over an animal, i have kept animals my whole life, and yes it is ok to feel sad but i wouldn't go berserk because my pet died.. The really bad mood after animal dies really sucks, colonists should focus on survival and try to ignore sadness, not be so connected to it, yes its sad when your pet dies but are you going to go berserk or even endanger life of your fellow colonists over an dead animal? same with people, if a brother of mine died, i'd be sad but i'd still focus on my survival first and mourn him when i have time. Am i supposed to die too if my family member dies?

Anyway enough rant about mood loss lol, im here to talk about pet going mad, it could be interesting,  maybe change it so that if you butchered their puppies or something like that.

All my suggestions are possible to change, instead of just telling me on what you agree and what you disagree with, you could try to suggest possible changes or think of good events that  could be added to the game, yes i agree that criticism is good and it helps me, but it would be more helpful if you added suggestions or possible changes on the things you disliked in my event suggestions.

EDIT: I also feel that different way events could be infuenced, like the connected events/ chain events i suggested, chance for them happening with FOV there's many possibilities. ( not just randomly when a raid happens there's a solar flare) what i suggested is make chain/connected events, example: raiders are coming to raid and solar flare happens at the exact timing, without being random. It doesn't have to be used in that exact scenario but you get the point.

Maybe add events that  could only happen once per colony but they are too catastrophic or neutral/helpful.

CabbageFoot

Quote from: 00petar00 on May 05, 2016, 05:34:34 PM
1.FOV - Field of vision/fog of war, whatever you want to call it. You will only be able to see what your colonists see.
Possible addition is what i have noticed in other threads is instead of completely explaining event, you'd get:
"You hear loud footsteps as if big number of people are passing nearby" or something similar, and you don't know if they are traders or raiders, that could be revealing too much information though.

2.Strategic reasons, you set up a camp close to the enemy and defend it, send reinforcements from your main camp and  fight them over a longer periods of time.

3(1). Just noticed i have used number three two times lol, anyway fight to the death, makes you watch out for your colonists social thoughts and how much they hate eachother, maybe not get killed outright at -80 social relation, but attack with guns, if one gets incapacitated it would be good, if not you're just unlucky.

4. Obviously needs to be balanced if the event is introduced to the game, yes there's a lot of manhunters early, and i said that it is a chance for it to happen, not to happen all the time. If you're unlucky it'll happen, if not it won't.

5. Bad mood that lasts for 6 months is bad, i can understand muscle parasites as it doesn't just directly add bad mood, you can install painkiller or deal with it some other way. But you get a bad mood because your grandfather died while trying to kill you? what's the point of that, i understand that people value their family members but if my a family member tried to kill me, i wouldn't be sad if he died, maybe a bit -5 mood.

6.Dogs are human's best friend in a way, they should have this reduced, more focused on other animals that are wild by nature. It would be fun if we had things like that into the game, and yes animal bond died bad mood is really bad too, i also am against that big mood loss over an animal, i have kept animals my whole life, and yes it is ok to feel sad but i wouldn't go berserk because my pet died.. The really bad mood after animal dies really sucks, colonists should focus on survival and try to ignore sadness, not be so connected to it, yes its sad when your pet dies but are you going to go berserk or even endanger life of your fellow colonists over an dead animal? same with people, if a brother of mine died, i'd be sad but i'd still focus on my survival first and mourn him when i have time. Am i supposed to die too if my family member dies?

Anyway enough rant about mood loss lol, im here to talk about pet going mad, it could be interesting,  maybe change it so that if you butchered their puppies or something like that.

All my suggestions are possible to change, instead of just telling me on what you agree and what you disagree with, you could try to suggest possible changes or think of good events that  could be added to the game, yes i agree that criticism is good and it helps me, but it would be more helpful if you added suggestions or possible changes on the things you disliked in my event suggestions.

EDIT: I also feel that different way events could be infuenced, like the connected events/ chain events i suggested, chance for them happening with FOV there's many possibilities. ( not just randomly when a raid happens there's a solar flare) what i suggested is make chain/connected events, example: raiders are coming to raid and solar flare happens at the exact timing, without being random. It doesn't have to be used in that exact scenario but you get the point.

Maybe add events that  could only happen once per colony but they are too catastrophic or neutral/helpful.

1. Oh, fog of war, I see why you might want that, but in this game it makes no sense especially on super large maps where the enemy could set up mortars and you wouldn't even know where they are, also how would you justify them being able to fire at you? I like the spirit for realism but I don't think its approprite for this game, especially because most combat happens at range and there would be next to no reaction time before they are already onto of you killing your colonists. On the other hand if fog of war only applied at night I could get behind that.

2. I don't think anyone would think being a nuisance is a good idea, usually when you're raiding it's a smash and grab deal, spend little time to get lots of stuff. Spending lots of time to get little stuff is called setting up a colony, and you wouldnt do it with the added threat of being next to a hostile colony. If anyone tried this tactic that would need LANDMINES to even make this viable. I picture you're imagining the aggressors are just assholes instead of a tribe of people with a goal in mind.

3. I still hate you.

4. My point is manhunters are a joke once you have some automatic weapons regardless of if they go berserk and break down your walls or not, free meat is free meat.

5. You have a point, there should be some interesting interactions there, like if they personally killed their family member (delivered the killing blow) they should become depressed as per what is happening now, but if somone else in the colony last hits the family member, it should leave a long lasting (1 year) debuff to social standing with that person causing thme to potentialyl get into fights a lot, because humans are irrational and it takes them a while to get over loss, and instead of getting sad they get angry when someone they know did the deed. Psychopaths excluded.

6. Nah it's cool that my beast master gets sad over dead animals, he gets over it, its not a big deal, he has other animals that he's bonded to so it cancels out ;b Although you may have a good idea there, perhaps this even is only going to happen if you keep animals with a high wildness rating, AND even then the chance is lower if the animal is bonded. Dogs have no wildness rating so they would never go berserk (with the exception of wargs), neither would any livestock, a Bear though, look out ;b, the price of keeping a ruthless killing machine is it might go berserk. This adds a counterbalance to keeping just wargs around (because they are the fastest and most powerful dog/wolf breed).

00petar00

Quote from: CabbageFoot on May 05, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
1. Oh, fog of war, I see why you might want that, but in this game it makes no sense especially on super large maps where the enemy could set up mortars and you wouldn't even know where they are, also how would you justify them being able to fire at you? I like the spirit for realism but I don't think its approprite for this game, especially because most combat happens at range and there would be next to no reaction time before they are already onto of you killing your colonists. On the other hand if fog of war only applied at night I could get behind that.

2. I don't think anyone would think being a nuisance is a good idea, usually when you're raiding it's a smash and grab deal, spend little time to get lots of stuff. Spending lots of time to get little stuff is called setting up a colony, and you wouldnt do it with the added threat of being next to a hostile colony. If anyone tried this tactic that would need LANDMINES to even make this viable. I picture you're imagining the aggressors are just assholes instead of a tribe of people with a goal in mind.

3. I still hate you.

4. My point is manhunters are a joke once you have some automatic weapons regardless of if they go berserk and break down your walls or not, free meat is free meat.

5. You have a point, there should be some interesting interactions there, like if they personally killed their family member (delivered the killing blow) they should become depressed as per what is happening now, but if somone else in the colony last hits the family member, it should leave a long lasting (1 year) debuff to social standing with that person causing thme to potentialyl get into fights a lot, because humans are irrational and it takes them a while to get over loss, and instead of getting sad they get angry when someone they know did the deed. Psychopaths excluded.

6. Nah it's cool that my beast master gets sad over dead animals, he gets over it, its not a big deal, he has other animals that he's bonded to so it cancels out ;b Although you may have a good idea there, perhaps this even is only going to happen if you keep animals with a high wildness rating, AND even then the chance is lower if the animal is bonded. Dogs have no wildness rating so they would never go berserk (with the exception of wargs), neither would any livestock, a Bear though, look out ;b, the price of keeping a ruthless killing machine is it might go berserk. This adds a counterbalance to keeping just wargs around (because they are the fastest and most powerful dog/wolf breed).

1 and 2. I said that it needs balancing, FOV was at one time part of the game and it was removed but it could still be used as an interesting event.
Mortars are plain annoying, they'll keep firing until they are forced to attack. It just  doesn't feel as if there is enough persistent threats.. That's where comes in suggestion number 2 with enemy colony setting up a defensive area/making a small base where they'll send reinforcements and keep pressuring you, unless you destroy their base, they could keep sending a few colonists a day to attack you or steal your  crops that are outside. It would be fun to wage war with them over longer periods of time, instead of them just coming in and taking what they can or running away once you take out enough of their colonists.

3. Try to attack me as  colonists would if my suggestion gets added to the game :) , if your social reation with me is -80 lol.

4. I feel that manhunters need some kind of a boost, that's why i tried thinking over an event that could be included with them... They are just free food delivery which i don't like, if it can't be more threatening then it should be removed from the game...

5. I agree with you there, would be nice to see, but we really need a way to stop fights from happening first.. They are fighting as if they are going to die in or two and don't care about what happens to them if they die fighting eachother or not.

6. nothing to say there.

I feel that chickens should get their own event for sickness or something? that spreads and kills them if its not threated.. They breed really too fast..

Ace_livion

i like to see variations on events.
simple ones like, instead of chased by raiders. chased by a man-hunter pack.
that gonna spice things up.

what about instead of escape pods only landing whit wounded people, a mad person land in a escape pod.
almost the same but spiced up a little more, so you never know what you gonna get.

Starving person.
a starved person will "non-hostile" simple walk into your base and gap as much food as he can carry and leave.
(perhaps even try and knock down a door)
then its up to you if you wish to shoot him, arrest him or simply let him get away whit the food.
a choice that changes depending on how low on food your colony is.

religious pilgrims. (a good spring/ summer event)
a huge group of people suddenly show up at your door.
from there they will do a random thing.
1) all start working on sowing / harvesting crops. (helpful)
2) perform a religious thingy thingy. (like a party, giving mood boost) (positive)
3) perform a heathen thingy thingy. (giving negative mood) (negative)
4) suddenly turn aggressive (hostile)

SuperCaffeineDude

The fog of war thing is maybe too game changing to be it's own thing, if fog and darkness lowered every colonists sight though, I think that'd be a cool feature. So in-darkness/fog lowers pawn stats pretty much across the board.

The argument concerning man-hunter packs could be addressed by changing the stages at which that threat is active, and the starting gear.

Currently the manhunter event "seems" to happen later in-game, if we make a smaller number of manhunters a more likely early game event, I think it might play out better.

(Or as Ace suggested a man running from a manhunter sounds awesome)

Later (early-mid-game), we can have a roaming pack of predators moving around their alpha, who selects wild life as targets. In my experience of keeping a pack of wargs, they will pick a map clean in short order, if a human or pet wonders too close or fires at them they should engage similar to hive insects, but when there is no additional wildlife/food remaining they should leave with their sweet meaty asses intact. 

Throughout the game, large volumes herd animals should migrate through your land rather than seek to become dinner, like when friendly tribes travel through your land without pausing.

The seeking to murder people is cool, provided it's tied neatly to social pressures (bad mood and a servery negative relationship), and can be diffused by good citizens.

If that is too hard to create though I've always liked the idea of a formal duel offered like a marriage proposal with the negative effects felt more by the one rejecting the proposal for being "cowardly", but otherwise resulting in a public bout with/without weapons and maybe or not ending once the opponent hits the ground.

The random family ties are a cool aspect, would work better if they only worked with certain origins (i.e the spacers (like you're initial colonists) have no family among the natives), but the system seems to end up frustrating more often than not, there's not currently a good grieving or sulking process in place.

I think it'd be great if this extended into pre-established friendships, and people you rescue, with pawns able to propose to others they join your colony. And this could be a double edged sword when your fair sniper leaves you to join the love of his/her life in another colony.

Mad "domestic" animals make a lot more sense than random squirrels charging my pawns unprovoked, I think maybe using the domestication difficulty of the animal to negatively effect the initial relationship between all colonists would be a good start, and then perhaps simulating some means of colonists provoking them which is rolled against the relationship and animal handling of the "offending" colonist.

Peter goes to pat Warg -roll- he pokes it in the eye -roll-  the Warg has become hostile

CabbageFoot

Quote from: SuperCaffeineDude on May 05, 2016, 10:33:16 PM
The random family ties are a cool aspect, would work better if they only worked with certain origins (i.e the spacers (like you're initial colonists) have no family among the natives), but the system seems to end up frustrating more often than not, there's not currently a good grieving or sulking process in place.

I think it'd be great if this extended into pre-established friendships, and people you rescue, with pawns able to propose to others they join your colony. And this could be a double edged sword when your fair sniper leaves you to join the love of his/her life in another colony.

I like this idea because It will put the player in the uneasy situation of "fuck no you're not leaving. Capture him!". I approve ;b

On the other hand letting them leave should cause a rep boost with the faction he is leaving to, maybe +30.

b0rsuk

Inspiration
One of your colonists suddenly becomes excited about skill X. He gets a temporary bonus granting him +5 to that skill for 2 days.