[WIP] (Alpha 8) Arachnid Threat (v.1.02) [Progress: 36% (141218 0147)]

Started by Evul, February 09, 2014, 08:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evul

Quote from: AstronauticalFerret on July 06, 2014, 04:59:05 AM
Love this mod. While the animations are a little funky I enjoy getting into massive battles with the arachnids. Got myself a little desert map that reminds me of Outpost 29 (If only that game actually went big lol).

Yeah the animation looks funky that i can agree, but it is not a high priority to fix it. :) And that sounds cool ^^

1. Do you plan to make a custom Storyteller that focuses on bugs and massive swarms? IE- Choose Rico for a normal story that lets the player have a chance. Or choose Razak if you're looking for a near impossible challenge that makes Cleopatra look like a sissy?

Yes actually i have. I was planing on making: The Brainbug for starters focusing on bug invasions instead of raids. Never done anything with the storytellers but in time i will :)

2. May I tinker with this mod? I want to make swarms bigger and make the bugs deadlier along with being faster. I don't plan to distribute anything, but I'd like your permission anyways. 

Yes, no probs at all. :) One problem now tho is that the system for factions and pawns is changed slightly.

3. Do you plan in bring out more bug species? Like the Flyers who could only be targeted by a player or AA turret.

Yes. In fact i am. Flyers is one of them. BUT i need to find a way to make them fly. Also i need a custom AI for the bugs so they actually handle properly. Also are able to eat and or disassemble bodies. (If someone is capable of anything of that send me a pm :) )

4.What are the long term goals of this? Are you looking to create a full on optional story-line mode to replace vanilla for those who want something fresh or nostalgic?

It will be a addition; adding more enemies to the game. Have no plans on replacing vanilla at the moment. So i have no direct long time plan for it :)

AstronauticalFerret

Awesome thanks for the information. Any ETA on when the update for 5 will be out? I've been playing around on U4 with this. Can't wait to see what you got in store for us with U5!

Also I've played around with your bugs and played with the color scheme a little bit basing it off of OP29. Added the black eyes and the "Vertibral stint" on the back as well. All in all it's just minor touch ups and some paint brushing to give it a little more of a fuller pattern.  I'm gonna be adding different color schemes as well from the SST Anime series for diversity.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Evul

Cool ^^

I currently have no eta.
Due to what I stated in the PA thread:

My computer just went down also means my servers also is down the CPU had a temptress of 90 degree Celsius... So i think I know the reason...

AstronauticalFerret

Completely understand, I hope your system didn't take too much heat damage from that. I've had the solder melt over in a certain spot on my MB before, that was a fun fix up (not). Hope to hear more on your projects soon!

Evul

I gonna make it possible for anonymous access to the svn server for this project.
I will also try make work again. :)

Zeta Omega

:o To be honest im VERY surprised someone didn't make this sooner, makes some sense and could be easily added to the game....Not if you turn this into a star ship trooper mod with better weapons and that mini nuke launcher.....wow.......Not to mention the centipede looks like a brain bug, anyone else agree?

Evul

TL_ARMY

Wow, mixing a starship troopers is not a bad idea! I'd like to see more than a sliding cardboard pieces of bugs, animations anyone? Can you hurry with it? wait, don't hurry, make it high quality and smooth  8)

MajorFordson

Holy YES to this mod!

Would be really great to see this evolve as its own game mode, instead of simply slotting it on as an element encountered in normal games. Though I guess the combat mechanics have to evolve a bit in the main game a bit more.

Evul

Gona fix this so it is playable again. Thx for the feedback :)

Kumai0214

I'm rather curious how Arachnid Threat would be like now for the Alpha 6 and + builds. Since there really isn't much of a health system for either raider/animal/arachnid/zombie/ or colonists, how would it be balanced a bit to make it so the bugs don't ultimately destroy a player after a month of 2 has passed by. During my previous attempts with A T in alpha 4, I had to use electric barb wires to fry them.... it was good but way too effective. Also, now turrets can kill them supposedly since turrets can also shoot mad animals. I wonder if people will still be swarmed 1-2 months into the game by a massive army of arachnid warriors. Or will it be consider scouting parts that gradually increase in number as the game goes from days to months to years.

Evul

My thoughts was to make the bugs more expensive for selection so only one or 2 is selected by the ai. I was also thinking about to make there attack scratch and tear of limbs more frequent (if possible). I also think I'll lower the health with 10.

Kumai0214

Ahh I see.. I do hope I see more of the bugs from starship troopers if possible, such as the fliers/tanker bug or even plasma bugs that do sieging.

Evul

I do whant costum ai for the bugs so they act more pack and starship trooper like. When I have some one smart that can make ai coding I can implement more advanced bugs. At the moment I use the psychotic ai for the bugs and it works as long as the bug is more or less brain dead, like the warrior.

Somthing I want is the bugs to be more like the raiders were they have somekind if task. Test defenses, kidnap, siege, assault.

Evul

A update will be made for this mod soon.

Personal to do list is following:
-Update texture and add a more colour variants to the arachnids.
-Rewrite thing pawn
-Rewrite race
-Rewrite faction
-Add warrior bodyparts