bug A13 save location and access mods folder from ingame

Started by harpo99999, May 06, 2016, 01:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpo99999

computer win7 32 bit rimworld a13 NO mods, also with mod installed
start game using the shortcut with the '-savedatafolder=SaveData' added to the end of the exe line in the shortcut(as per readme.txt in a13)(also the folder is actually created but the game does not seem to access both the save game folder and mods folder can not be opened when clicking on the buttons on the respective parts of the menu

harpo99999

further info, it seems to be folder name/path name length related.

viperwasp

Windows 7 64-bit

I'm sorry if this does not help at all. But I have had issues with this when I copy and paste the entire game folder. What I mean is each game of Rimworld for me. For example colony is it's own folder. I have a vanilla copy of the A13. I copy and paste it and name the folder after the game I am playing. So I have like five rimworld A13 on my PC, each with there own mod sets and save folder.. I don't know if this is the exact problem but if you do anything like this I fixed a similar issue by deleting the shortcut target completely. Then re-creating the shortcut from the main Application. Right click on "RimWorld1135Win" create shortcut and then added -savedatafolder=SaveData at the end of the Target on the shortcut. And then start the game via shortcut and it works.

If this does not work or you have already tried to re-create the shortcut then obviously this did not help. Good luck!

P.S
I'm curious has this been an issue only for A13 for you? Did it work on other versions in the past?
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

harpo99999

yes that is exactly what I do(iecopy the working folder,rename the folder to role, delete the old shortcut in the new folder, create a NEW shortcut in the folder, rename it to include the identification of the role, then add the ' -savedatafolder=savedata' (note the leading space needed in the shortcut parsing by windows), and did not have the issue in any of the previous alphas and have done this in each of them(since a9 when this ability came out) so that I can have different mod configurations for the different desires eg no mods, my mod(high pops and acouple of other minor edits), my favourite mods, and evaluating mods, and while two of the ones do savegame into their savedata, they all save the mod configuration and worlds, but do not save the game into thier savedata folders
but I also have had some of the roles fail with shorter names than one of the working ones.
most frustrating

Tynan

Does the game have permission to modify that folder?

Make sure it does. The fact that it often doesn't is why we don't generally store savegames like that by default.

Try using "run as administrator".

If problem isn't solvable like that please make a new thread, I'll close this one.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog