I made a lantern but...

Started by RemingtonRyder, May 06, 2016, 03:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

...I have a question for you.

I'm working on a lantern which needs fuel to become lit and stay lit. So far, it's looking good, but at the moment what it uses for fuel is a wood log.

Understandably, it's kind of immersion breaking to just throw a log into a lantern and refuel it. However, it's also a bit better than the alternative, which is to make a different fuel resource and have you guys go through an entire production chain to make the fuel just so that you can have an early light source which can be moved around and doesn't require power.

What do you think? Should I leave it as it is, or do the fuel distillery thingamajig?

Zombra

A wood burning lantern is fine.

Jakub k.

branch?

Maybe a simple recipe for an existing production table that turns wood into an efficient lantern fuel.

Maybe add multiple types of lanterns, like a Ground Lantern, a Lantern Post, a Double Lantern post. Different brightness and fuel consumption. Changes beauty with different materials.
how lit was it

Chiko

I ran into the same question when I made a similar appliance, the standing torch. I just made it work with wood because it's not totally immersion breaking for a standing torch. :P

Runelea

I do have a suggestion for solving the matter of fueling the lantern. If an asset like fat was added to animals, all you'd need to do is then add a rendering recipie to the stovetops and use that as candle fuel. Its logical and a bit easier to impliment than other possibilities.

RemingtonRyder

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

The easiest thing to go for in terms of fuel, I think, would be to have sesame plants in some biomes, allow the player to grow them, and then press the seeds to make oil. As a byproduct colonists would also get flour.

Zombra

Well ... the easiest thing would be to just use wood.  I mean, if you want to make this one modded item more realistic than the rest of the game combined, go for it.  Seems weird to have a three-stage resource chain to do one thing.  But hey, I approve of unnecessary complexity.  :)

branch?

Quote from: MarvinKosh on May 08, 2016, 06:24:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

The easiest thing to go for in terms of fuel, I think, would be to have sesame plants in some biomes, allow the player to grow them, and then press the seeds to make oil. As a byproduct colonists would also get flour.

Maybe sesame oil can also be a non-perishable food source? Long lasting vegetable food product.

I don't think a long production line just for a lamp fuel product would be a good idea. You'd save more time just making a standing lamp. Just add the recipe to an existing workbench so it doesn't end up adding more clutter to workshop rooms.
how lit was it

The King of Nipples

I would say that is fine I would not care if I threw in a tree for it to burn still wood not in real life

RemingtonRyder

Ultimately it's going to be both rough and ready wood, and the complicated/work-intensive way of getting fuel.  I wanted to have an alternative so that later on, you don't have to depend on wood so heavily.

I increased the fuel consumption quite a bit, you see, because it was ridiculously cheap compared with, for example, the fuel you would use to power a fueled generator and turn on a standing lamp. Of course, a fueled generator doesn't produce power in increments of 150W, only 1000W at a time, but as I said it was ridiculously cheap.

dareddevil7

Use fuel, but have it fueled by beer, as it is the only alcohol in the game, and probably wouldn't burn, but whatever. Seriously, the brewing table is for one thing. We need more alcohol types.

Zombra

An alcohol-based fuel is actually a really good idea.

Highlandman

Quote from: Zombra on May 09, 2016, 12:36:54 PM
An alcohol-based fuel is actually a really good idea.

This. Make vodka out of potatoes, vodka burns well. In the belly (for the cold snaps, or for just bingeing on it!) and the lantern.

Toggle

Who needs parka's in this -100C when you have vodka to keep the inside warm and vodka fire to keep the outside warm!
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.