2 (8.7%)
Nay
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

rambo

Add some high tech mortar that fires a lot of shelles at once

TA1980

Dear JadedApprentice,

I tried some diiferent settings and finally changed the speed of the 105mm shells to "050". (Higher numbers seemingly slow down indirect fire rounds).

Regards

JadedApprentince

Quote from: rambo on July 06, 2017, 05:45:34 AM
Add some high tech mortar that fires a lot of shelles at once

Glitterworld Tech is a mod which features this, but I don't think I will due to the fact that it would be incredibly imbalanced and doesn't fit into this mod.

Quote from: TA1980 on July 06, 2017, 09:43:01 AM
Dear JadedApprentice,

I tried some diiferent settings and finally changed the speed of the 105mm shells to "050". (Higher numbers seemingly slow down indirect fire rounds).

Regards

I see, then I'll do some balance testing to try and figure out the final speed for update 1.25.
Mods I've made:
Combat Extended Artillery :  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33979.0

JadedApprentince

Version 1.3 "Anti-tank" released!

Version 1.3
- Refined shell textures some more, fixed a slight graphical error that made the outline look white instead of black in some cases.
- LOTS of slight improvements and changes to cannon and shell stats
- 75mm cannon: Uses 75mm APHE, HE, and APCR shells.
- New 50mm ammunition: HE and APCR
- APCR ammunition will create a tiny explosion (1 damage and 0.1 radius) in order to create fragmentation.
- 105mm cannot indirectly fire anymore (broke the targeting system for some reason)
- Many other minor improvements and changes.

Look forward to even more improvements and additions in future updates!
Mods I've made:

TA1980

Dear JadedApprentice,

thanks for the fast update.

The 75mm HE shells seems to have a wrong parameter for radius "3,5" [should be "3.5"?]. It generates a literal blast wave over several tiles.

What do you think about not making all guns use the same ammo types and diversify their usability this way?

Regards

JadedApprentince

Quote from: TA1980 on July 07, 2017, 05:55:33 PM
Dear JadedApprentice,

thanks for the fast update.

The 75mm HE shells seems to have a wrong parameter for radius "3,5" [should be "3.5"?]. It generates a literal blast wave over several tiles.

What do you think about not making all guns use the same ammo types and diversify their usability this way?

Regards

Fixed, thanks for letting me know about that.

Like I stated on the Github, I'll eventually be creating unique ammunition for each cannon.
Mods I've made:

JadedApprentince

For the next upcoming major update (no date as of yet, most likely v2.0) I've put together a list of items I'd like to have started, finished, and then tested before I release the update not only here, but also on the Steam workshop! After this there shouldn't be a lot of minor updates unless something like an error/bug appears or Combat Extended has a change that affects CEA. Please do read and leave me feedback on what you think about these plans; if you wish to suggest something tell me so that I may consider it.

<Combat Extended Artillery Development>

Github Items:
- Complete any user issues.
- Finalize the CEA Wiki.

Code/Content Items:
- Caliber diversication: (50, 75, 105) -> (30, 50 [2 types], 75, 105)
- Ammunition diversication via caliber (suggested by TA1980):
> Purpose of shell, anti-(...); (infantry, armor/material, mechanoid, support).
> Unique shells for different calibers (see ammunition types).
> Refine shells bases on specific roles, promote diverse use.
> Create research and/or workbench for crafting CEA cannon ammunition and weaponry.
> Allow larger/more complex turrets to be "disassembled" into "(...)mm turret components" to allow them to be easier to trade, transport, and store. (suggested by admiralKew)
- 105mm firing systems changed from direct to indirect, just like the mortar.
- 50mm automatic turret; must be reloaded manually, but uses a clip of 5-10 rounds and an autoloader.
> Fires the same 50mm shells, but is more expensive to construct/assemble.
- Incendiary rounds for specific calibers (30, 75, 105).
- Balancing, tweaking, etc.
> Sabot rounds will explode without the sound effect since they don't contain explosive filler.

Graphical/Art Items:
- Texture overhaul:
> Cannon shell ammunition; both new and existing need a new style and form.
> Turret textures need serious reworking and need a new style and form (something kind of techy, but    not too techy that it seems less industrial.
> Projectile overhaul; create textures for specific types (regardless of caliber) of projectiles that    fit in with the type of round fired; ei: incendiary would glow red instead of the regular white.
> Color adjustments; custom colors that create a style pallet for the mod.
- Rework the preview picture for the mod.
- Artisic balancing and tweaking.

Audio/Sound Items:
- New sounds for calibers.
- Sound adjustments for certain ammunition types (such as sabot).
Mods I've made:

admiralKew

For the reworked turret textures, perhaps these would be good inspiration? Of note would be the gun shields on the ship, bulkier bases and turrets, and slightly 'techy' extensions like a targeting computer or optics.

On another note, this pops up as a yellow error when loading with devmode turned on:

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.SoundDef named 50mm found to give to CombatExtended.VerbPropertiesCE VerbProperties(50mm cannon) (using undefined sound instead)

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.SoundDef named 75mm found to give to CombatExtended.VerbPropertiesCE VerbProperties(75mm cannon) (using undefined sound instead)

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.SoundDef named 105mm found to give to CombatExtended.VerbPropertiesCE VerbProperties(105mm gun) (using undefined sound instead)

JadedApprentince

Quote from: admiralKew on July 10, 2017, 11:55:59 PM
On another note, this pops up as a yellow error when loading with devmode turned on:

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.SoundDef named 50mm found to give to CombatExtended.VerbPropertiesCE VerbProperties(50mm cannon) (using undefined sound instead)

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.SoundDef named 75mm found to give to CombatExtended.VerbPropertiesCE VerbProperties(75mm cannon) (using undefined sound instead)

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.SoundDef named 105mm found to give to CombatExtended.VerbPropertiesCE VerbProperties(105mm gun) (using undefined sound instead)

I know, its a harmless error that will appear sometimes with other errors. I believe that the sound still will work even when that pops up, but when I do the update I'll make it a more abstract name for the game to recognize.
Mods I've made:

JadedApprentince

Quote from: TA1980 on July 05, 2017, 02:37:24 PM

a) More calibres: a 20/30mm autocannon would be nice.

b) More ammunition types:
I think CE features illumination as factor, so maybe
-illumination rounds for night battles,
-smoke rounds for smokescreens during the day (allowing your pawns to get into position, slow down enemy),
-incendiary ammunition for the above mentioned autocannon,
-DU SABOT (depleted uranium armor piercing ammunition).

Ammunition Planning:

30mm Ammunition Types:
- 30mm AP (armor-piercing); contains a steel penetrator with no FSX filler. Low-medium penetration, medium-high velocity, no explosive power, and low fragmentation. The round is full-caliber with a slightly rounded, but pointy tip.
- 30mm HE (high-explosive); contains a large amount of FSX filler without any penetrating components. Very low penetration, medium-high velocity, medium explosive power, and medium-high fragmentation. The round is full caliber with a rounded, dome-like tip.
- 30mm CAI (contact-action-incendiary); specialized construction that spreads and ignites incendiary agent on the target in order to destroy, disable, or slow the target. Very low penetration, medium-high velocity, very low explosive power, low fragmentation, and incendiary potential. The round is full caliber with a rounded shape that form the discarding shell of the round.

50mm Ammunition Types:
- 50mm APHE (armor-piercing high-explosive); contains a steel penetrator with an FSX filler that explodes after penetrating armor. Medium penetration, high velocity, low explosive power, and high fragmentation. The round is full-caliber with a slightly rounded, but pointy tip.
- 50mm HE (high-explosive); contains a large amount of FSX filler without any penetrating components. Very low penetration, high velocity, high explosive power, and very high fragmentation. The round is full caliber with a rounded, dome-like tip.
- 50mm APDS (armor-piercing discarding sabot); contains a dense uranium penetrator with no FSX filler, it has a full caliber cap over the true round to improve aerodynamics. Very high penetration, very high velocity, no explosive power, and low-medium fragmentation. The round is sub-caliber with a sharp, pointy tip.
- 50mm AMEMP (anti-mechanoid electromagnetic-pulse); specialized construction that fires a sub-caliber steel round into the target, damaging the outer protective layers and then emitting an EMP in order to destroy or disable electronic equipment. Medium-high penetration, high velocity, no explosive power, low fragmentation, and EMP potential. The round is sub-caliber with a rounded shape, with a slightly sharpened rod at the topmost point.

75mm Ammunition Types:
- 75mm APHE (armor-piercing high-explosive); contains a steel penetrator with an FSX filler that explodes after penetrating armor. Medium penetration, high velocity, low explosive power, and high fragmentation. The round is full-caliber with a slightly rounded, but pointy tip.
- 75mm HE (high-explosive); contains a large amount of FSX filler without any penetrating components. Very low penetration, medium velocity, high explosive power, and very high fragmentation. The round is full caliber with a dense uranium penetrator with no FSX filler, it has a full caliber cap over the true round to improve aerodynamics. Very high penetration, high velocity, no explosive power, and low-medium fragmentation. The round is sub-caliber with a sharp, pointy tip.
- 75mm APDS (armor-piercing discarding sabot); contains a dense uranium penetrator with no FSX filler, it has a full caliber cap over the true round to improve aerodynamics. Very high penetration, high velocity, no explosive power, and low-medium fragmentation. The round is sub-caliber with a sharp, pointy tip.
- 75mm AI (area-incendiary); specialized construction that spreads and ignites incendiary agent on and around the target in order to destroy, disable, or slow the target. Very low penetration, medium velocity, very low explosive power, low fragmentation, and incendiary potential. The round is full caliber with a rounded shape that form the discarding shell of the round.

105mm Ammunition Types:
- 105mm HEDP (high-explosive dual-purpose); contains a large amount of FSX filler without any direct penetrating components. Low-Medium penetration, medium velocity, high explosive power, and very high fragmentation. The round is full caliber with a rounded shape, with the flat tip having an inverted dome shape similar to a HEAT shell.
- 105mm APDS (armor-piercing discarding sabot); contains a dense uranium penetrator with no FSX filler, it has a full caliber cap over the true round to improve aerodynamics. Very high penetration, medium-high velocity, no explosive power, and medium fragmentation. The round is sub-caliber with a sharp, pointy tip.
- 105mm AI (area-incendiary); specialized construction that spreads and ignites incendiary agent on and around the target in order to destroy, disable, or slow the target. Very low penetration, medium velocity, low explosive power, low fragmentation, and incendiary potential. The round is full caliber with a rounded shape that form the discarding shell of the round.

I know they all don't have one unique kind of round, but I don't see any reason for them not to have similar types considering that they are supposed to me somewhat similar. I hope that these new rounds you'll see might seem interesting enough that they'll be worth it.
Mods I've made:

TA1980

Dear JadedApprentice,

that is some great and impressive work you put into this. I am truly amazed!

Some notes (personal preferences and some layman research):

30mm:
- AP is perfect
- HE and CAI could be replaced by HEI (high-explosive incendiary); low-medium penetration, medium explosive power/fragments/fire effect (should be the "default" choice; even better if the rounds went off automatically at max range)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-explosive_incendiary

50mm:
-all good!

75mm:
-no incendiary; should be a true anti-tank gun (with high muzzle velocity on the dedicated AP shells)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/7,5-cm-PaK_40#Munition
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzergranate_39
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzergranate_40
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granate_38HL
(just for the tables)

105mm:
- HE with indirect fire set to true
- HEAT or HEDP with indirect fire set to false (emulating that artillery fires directly at "tank" targets)
- SMOKE (replicating the smoke grenade effect on a larger scale?)

Regards

JadedApprentince

Quote from: TA1980 on July 14, 2017, 04:27:25 AM
Dear JadedApprentice,

30mm:
- HE and CAI could be replaced by HEI (high-explosive incendiary); low-medium penetration, medium explosive power/fragments/fire effect (should be the "default" choice; even better if the rounds went off automatically at max range)

75mm:
-no incendiary; should be a true anti-tank gun (with high muzzle velocity on the dedicated AP shells)

105mm:
- HE with indirect fire set to true
- HEAT or HEDP with indirect fire set to false (emulating that artillery fires directly at "tank" targets)
- SMOKE (replicating the smoke grenade effect on a larger scale?)

To start:
30mm:
Currently CE doesn't have any HEI ammo types to draw from, so that would mean that it would become secondary damage that isn't ideal for such a large shell and probably wouldn't do anything. So unless something changes where this is possible, I can't really put this into the way that would combine both shells into one. That was a major part of me choosing to separate them into two types, and I guess that "CE-lore-wise" the two aren't supposed to work together since the FSX would probably just destroy any Promethium that was contained with it instead of allowing it to spread and catch fire, so it wouldn't really work out well.

75mm:
I'll remove incendiary, but I'll keep it in mind since it's supposed to have many different types as the caliber that is best suited to multi-role use. Also AP shells are not designed to have very high velocity, if you want that then you would use APDS which is actually able to withstand higher velocities. Sorry, but steel isn't as strong as tungsten carbide and uranium when it comes to high velocity projectiles.

105mm
I cannot directly set whether a certain shell can be fired a certain way (indirect/direct) so I can't help you there. I should clarify that the purpose of HEDP is that its a mix between a regular HE shell and a HESH shell, as such it has some qualities of both and are almost practically the same.
As for smoke, I can try and put it in. Higgs on the CE Discord server helped me with this and has said that it might be possible, but I might have to hack the def to try and force it to work with this, so not really ideal.
Mods I've made:

JadedApprentince

Anyone who has not been regularly checking the "Important Information" section of the OP should check now, as the information there is quite important for users of this mod and those who wish to review the progress of CEA version 2.0 and/or the mod as a whole.

Thanks to all your support in the development of this mod, its come a long way from the original mod it was and the ideas that were shared with me were more than helpful in developing the mod further than I though it would go. Once again, thank you for all your support!
Mods I've made: