Fall Foliage?

Started by Boston, May 07, 2016, 06:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

As many people know, in the Autumn months (known as "Fall" in the US), the foliage of deciduous trees changes color, due to chlorophyll (the chemical that makes leaves green) production ceasing. In many locations, this foliage display can be quite striking. (see attached picture. Yes, New England actually looks like that)

So, as someone who sees this display every Fall, it is .... rather weird to not see it in game. I may know little about how coding actually works, but if the in-game trees can gain and lose leaves based on the seasons, could it be possible to change the color as well?

There are three main trees that would exhibit foliage coloration:
-Oak: Scarlet (red)
-Popular: Orange
-Birch: Yellow

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

blub01

Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

MisterVertigo

It's a subtle detail that doesn't really effect gameplay at all, but I really like this idea. It would be a nice touch.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Keychan

I agree that the game needs more differentiation between more seasons (and items).  Summer, Spring, and Autumn all share the same greenery, maybe a slight tint in color.  This would be a great touch in atmosphere and really color up the game.  I can imagine my colonists enjoying a nice beautiful view of the falling leaves already.  All the peace and quite, then ruined by 4 inferno cannon centipedes making use of the fallen foliage to ignite the world on fire.

Vaporisor

In theory is easy,  but like in australia, a winter isnt like winter everywhere else.  As such, it would need to be weather driven.  Anybody in game who has had an inside tree farm in freezing climates know what I mean.

There is the fact trees do lose leaves though and those leaves are lost for an extended period.  If the leave loss trigger was color change, then a day or two later trees lose all together would be cool.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes