New Guns

Started by LouisTBR, May 08, 2016, 07:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cultist

Quote from: Rafe009 on May 09, 2016, 05:30:35 PM
I once sent two of my best marksmen to hunt a non-aggressive warg at about a 6 block range. it took 6 volleys but they finally killed it while it wandered about. The weapon is totally useless.

That's because you're using the minigun for the wrong job. Miniguns are only good when used by trigger-happy pawns (shooting skill doesn't matter much) and only against groups of enemies. All the multi-shot weapons perform better when fired by trigger-happy pawns, but especially the minigun and LMG because of their high charge-up time.

blub01

Quote from: cultist on May 12, 2016, 09:39:32 AM
Quote from: Rafe009 on May 09, 2016, 05:30:35 PM
I once sent two of my best marksmen to hunt a non-aggressive warg at about a 6 block range. it took 6 volleys but they finally killed it while it wandered about. The weapon is totally useless.

so that hit chances drop from "low" to "basically not there"?

That's because you're using the minigun for the wrong job. Miniguns are only good when used by trigger-happy pawns (shooting skill doesn't matter much) and only against groups of enemies. All the multi-shot weapons perform better when fired by trigger-happy pawns, but especially the minigun and LMG because of their high charge-up time.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

LouisTBR

Ok, blub, why did you post? I am pretty sure the rules here clearly state 'no quote marathons'. You haven't even commented! Basically you have repeated exactly what they said, without adding anything new...
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Justas love

Tribes need more guns. Literally. Crossbows, slingshots etc

LouisTBR

Oh, good one! I hadn't though of slingshots
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Rhopunzel

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on May 08, 2016, 07:53:56 AM
Hello! As much as I love the combat in Rimworld, it is in dire need of some upgrades. Here are some ideas:

AK-47 - A cheap, less powerful version of the assault rifle. It would shoot faster and take less time to cool down, but its range would be far lower.
Machine Pistol- A slightly cheaper PDW/Uzi, which has much faster firing but less power/accuracy. It would be a step up from a pistol, but still not as good as the current machine guns.
Sawn-off Shotgun - A cheaper variation of the current weapon, but with less range and accuracy. Although both equally powerful, this weapon would be considerably faster to fire than its longer model.
Heavy Shotgun - A more powerful, more accurate shotgun. It would obviously cost more, but it would improve upon the regular shotgun in all areas apart from the cooldown time.
Heavy MG - This variation would be much more powerful than its counterpart LMG, but, due to its bulk, would take a lot longer to reload and wouldn't have the accuracy. It would cost slightly more.
Crossbow- Like the Short Bow and Great Bow, this weapon would fire arrows. It would be a lot faster and more powerful, but not as accurate. It would cost more.

When I was producing the gun assets I actually went slightly overboard and made a bunch of extra ones. There was an AK-47, FAMAS, FN SCAR and the Pulse Rifle from Aliens. I'll have to make sure with Tynan but I wouldn't mind releasing those assets and maybe making a few more if modders want them.

milon

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on May 13, 2016, 11:55:31 AM
Ok, blub, why did you post? I am pretty sure the rules here clearly state 'no quote marathons'. You haven't even commented! Basically you have repeated exactly what they said, without adding anything new...

Actually, Louis, he did.  His response ended up inside the quote box, so it's just a formatting problem.  Read a little closer next time.  The rules also clearly state 'no back seat moderation', which is exactly what you've done.  :P

hector212121

How about simply slings?

Slings were actually incredibly lethal weapons if you knew what you were doing.

CabbageFoot

Hello! As much as I love the combat in Rimworld, it is in dire need of some upgrades. Here are some ideas:

AK-47 - A cheap, less powerful version of the assault rifle. It would shoot faster and take less time to cool down, but its range would be far lower.

I'm no gun geek, but shouldn't an AK have higher accuracy at medium range and lower at long range, lower fire rate but same burst size, and slightly more damage per bullet then a standard assault rifle? This is what I gather from how people talk about it IRL and from how Counter Strike has balanced it vs the M4A4.

Rhopunzel

Quote from: CabbageFoot on May 13, 2016, 06:02:23 PM

I'm no gun geek, but shouldn't an AK have higher accuracy at medium range and lower at long range, lower fire rate but same burst size, and slightly more damage per bullet then a standard assault rifle? This is what I gather from how people talk about it IRL and from how Counter Strike has balanced it vs the M4A4.

It's been a while since I nerded out about guns but off the top of my head, the 5.56mm that an M4 fires typically has a much greater muzzle velocity than 7.62mm you'd get in an AK, so it'll generally have longer range. The tradeoff is in damage. Because the bullet's traveling so fast, on soft targets 5.56mm will *usually* punch a neat hole and come out the other side, there isn't the same energy dispersal you'd get with a 7.62mm which usually cause devastating wounds.

If you wanted it to be accurate I'd make AKs fire slower, have shorter range and less accuracy to account for the heavier caliber being harder to control on full auto (fire modes would be a really cool mod idea now that I think about it), but about 1.5x the damage of the M16 ingame and a massive buff on their deterioration rate to reflect their legendary reliability.

Wow I feel nerdy.

Alistaire

Quote from: Rhopunzel on May 13, 2016, 06:27:52 PM
(fire modes would be a really cool mod idea now that I think about it)

I'm thinking a name like Gun Authenticity, Immersive War or Realistic Fights. Mhmmmmmmmmmm.

Damien Hart

Quote from: Rhopunzel on May 13, 2016, 06:27:52 PM
the 5.56mm that an M4 fires typically has a much greater muzzle velocity than 7.62mm you'd get in an AK, so it'll generally have longer range

Not quite. The higher power and mass of a higher caliber bullet means more momentum, so they typically have a longer range. The whole idea of an assault rifle is that the higher caliber bullets are actually way more powerful than necessary for typical engagements.

Assault rifles like M16's and AK-74's are good for short to medium ranges, and battle rifles like AK-47's and FN FAL's are good for medium to long ranges.

So an AK-47 would fire slower, but have higher damage and be more accurate at range; in regards to RimWorld that role is filled by the survival rifle, though it could probably do with an alternative, in the same way that you have the option of the PDW or the heavy SMG for short range damage dealing. Something with damage and fire rate in between the assault rifle and the survival rifle, and a slightly lower range than the survival rifle.

A machine pistol would just overlap with the pistol and the PDW, there's not actually much of a stat gap between the two. I do like the idea of the sawn-off, and the crossbow, but the crossbow should have a shorter range and slower fire rate compared to the shortbow, but higher damage and better accuracy.

Vaporisor

I peek and see about weaponry, range and muzzle velocities... ooohhh...

There is another part to mass and rounds.  While gravity is constant for the arc trajectory of a round, we must consider drag.  So if you have two rounds with similar drag forces, the heavier one takes more time to decelerate a specific velocity.  So in terms of velocity, you are more accurate because it is spending less time affected by gravity.  Longer range though depends on what range you are talking. 

Without the math is tough to say for 100% the point in which velocities would cross, or even if they would before you reach a point where the lighter shell decelerates to be slower than the heavy shell.  Plus aimability.  If the velocity differences are enough, then the lighter shell will go further if fired at a trajectory for maximum range vs the heavy one.  The lighter just having a more asymetric arc.

Mmm.... physics...
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes